Thread: Primal Vacation Food page

Cat804 is offline Junior Member

Primal Vacation Food

Primal Fuel
    My family is going to a beach house next week. I'm looking for fairly quick lunch ideas and dinner ideas that won't seem too weird to kids used to SAD (my husband's young half brothers, 11 and 12, will be joining us). I've talked my husband into eating something approximating primal, so I'm also hoping to use this as a chance to get our kids (4 and 1) off wheat, etc, too.

Any primal meals that are inexpensive and will feed several would be appreciated. My old go-to of spaghetti is obviously out

rcav8r is offline Senior Member
    Hamburgers and meatloaf work with my kids for a easy to make food.

sweet potato fries from the oven, with organic ketchup.

Small portions of vegetables for them, unless they wind up liking it.

Inexpensive steaks.

Thats off the top of my head.

You got breakfast covered then?

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    You could obviously do spaghetti with rice noodles or quinoa noodles, if need be. Just do a meaty sauce with it.

I second sweet potato fries; those are delicious.

Banana/egg pancakes, too.

Eggs and bacon. That's pretty 'normal.'
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Cat804 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the suggestions! I figure breakfast will be scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon and fruit every morning, so I've got that covered unless one of the kiddos gets picky.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    You could go off notion of "Beggers can't be choosers." Whenever I asked for dinner as a kid, then complained about the food, that shut me up pretty quickly. I'm not saying that making your kids choose between being hungry or eating your food is the best method, but it's certainly a method that works. The harsh parenting of the 90s seems to have dwindled in favor of kindness and nurturing, though. :P
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    For lunches, cold platters of hard boiled eggs, meats, cheeses, pickles, veggies and fruit are pretty easy and everyone can just grab what they want.

JenLiana is offline Member
    You are correct Cat804 - Spaghetti is certainly a big go- to of mine as well when feeding a lot of family. I could suggest to you that you try spaghetti squash, although perhaps not quite as quick as it does take an hour to roast. However, I did try it myself for the first time last week and it was delicious. My kids loved it ( they are 4 and 3 ) I also did another spaghetti squash a few days later but used it as "noddles" for a chicken stir fry. That was another hit as well.

Another one of my go-to's for meals when feeding several is a roast, while perhaps not as "quick" if you are able to bring along a crock pot, it is actually easy. Just throw it in the afternoon and forget about it until dinner time. I made primal "potatoes" with mine ( found a video recipe on this site, it's made from cauliflower) it was delicious too!!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Fruit, nuts and cheese are what my kids eat basically every day.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

campanella is offline Senior Member
    Shrimps are great for the seaside. Some kids don't like spices or seasonings like adults do, but shell them and serve them on a plate and show them how to hold the tails and enjoy and they could have fun with that.
    If there's a farm market nearby take all the kids to that and have them each pick out something and help cook it.
    Keep an all the time stash of sliced raw carrots etc. in the fridge and plenty of peaches and melons around for whoever needs a snack.
    Roasted sweet potatoes are easy and a big hit, and there's nothing really wrong with baked white potatoes either.
    Try smoothies with milk/yogurt/fresh and frozen fruit, and cold sliced avocado, good for warm weather.
    String cheeses and nuts are both IMO good quality snacks that kids will eat.
    If you have a few minutes- please take a look at my story, in my journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87400.html
    I do warn you, I am a copious writer.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Do they like spicy food, and do you have a crock pot? A huge honking pot of chili might do it.