Thread: Goal is to lose weight faster.....what works for you? page 3

Patti is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by tinacristina View Post
    So far today i have had 800 calories..

4 bacon strip
    Ham with lettuce
    glass of white wine..

My belly is bloated..i need more water...i am not eating any more tonight..
    Seems that you've had salt, some fat, a little protein and some alcohol. Bloat is to be expected.

Tomorrow, how about changing it up a little?
    A couple of eggs and some sauteed veggies (pepper, mushrooms, spinach, etc.)
    lots of tea, iced or hot, black or herbal
    real meat: some chicken or beef or pork, something delicious and as unprocessed as possible
    a salad
    more veggies and meat
    a piece of fruit

Some people have a lot of water weight to drop, are young men, lose weight easily, or might be doing an intense weightlifting program. They'll lose weight a lot quicker than I, an older moderately active female, will! I wish you much success, but think you will be very disappointed if you are here looking for a quick fix. If you can ignore the scale and focus on becoming incredibly healthy and strong, you'll get the results you're seeking, but it will most likely take quite awhile. Make tweaks to the blueprint as needed to develop your optimal plan, but please recognize there is no miracle cure for fat. Healing your body so that it can give up the fat just plain takes time.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Can you share what helps you to drop the weight? I have read where some of you do high fat. Some count calories. Others eat higher carbs to 100 grams and others stick to 20 grams...

I cant figure out what will work best for me. Ive been at this for 30 days and lost 1 pound. I got 20 lbs to go and im having a hard time because its going so slow and im ready to give up...its depressing me today..

I work out and mix it up with weights , sprint and yoga.....i eat 1500 calories on average. My goal is weigh..152 -155 lbs.i eat around 70 grams protein and 20 grama carbs yet higher fat in 90 to 120 range and yet i cant budge...so this aint working.

My thyroid is in normal range..i am on medication...i drink lots of water.

What has worked in the past is HCG but my weight always comes back on when i finish...so im trying hard to do this as a life time plan but I frustrated.

I hate to sound like a broken record around here...i just wish i see results.

I am not sure how to speed this up anymore so I figure maybe what is working better for most of you might work better for me.

Your input is appreciated...
    read this...it might help T NATION | 7 Steps To a Flexible Diet

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    For reference sake once your body has had its quota of protein any excess protein becomes virtually another carb so dont avoid fatty meats. TinaC my 800 limit is mentally a bit more flexible than it sounds. I will allow up too 1000 or down to 600. I aim for the 800 and stick to it 98% of the time but I don't want it to be the be all and end all of life. knowing i can have another 200 cal primal meal if i really need it just takes the pressure off. Also not stressing about the days Im not so hungry is good -I dont want to make myself eat if i'm not hungry.
    Try and enjoy every one of those 800 calories - Choose primal foods that tickle your tastebuds
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Mix it up and give your digestion different challenges.

*Do some fasts and binges
    *Mix up your daily macros
    *Mix up your daily calories
    *Mix up your meal intervals
    *Move your daily calorie deficit to a weekly average deficit.

I know it goes against what most people recommend but it really works, I lost over 65 pounds in 4 months doing a similar protocol while eating off the primal food list. (Link in my sig if you want more details).

The basic idea behind this is; the human body is anti fragile (thrives on variable conditions). This is very evident when looking at how our physical conditioning works (eg we can't just give our bodies the same repetitive daily physical task and expect long term robust conditioning) the same goes for diet. Give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    For me personally, I initially went full keto (20-35g net carbs) and dropped weight FAST. I was leaner than ever, despite being at a healthy weight prior on CW. I'm a young, tall male. Unfortunately, what budges the scale doesn't always translate mentally or physically, or is necessarily beneficial to an individual's overall well-being. I was zoned out and never felt 'fat-adapted' mentally and physically. I was very weak. I was eating 2000-2500 calories during this period, so I believe when carbs are severely restricted calories just don't count.

Unfortunately I had to increase the carbs with a few more veggies, berries and some starches. Felt better but gained weight at the same calorie range, obviously. So now I try and limit the starches and fructose, as well as the calories. I'm losing again and nearly at the same weight when I was doing keto.

With a higher or moderate carbohydrate intake, calories must be monitored and you need to incorporate more exercise.

otzi Guest
    You could always try the Potato Diet http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread67137.html

Basically, in a nutshell:
    1. Plan on eating mostly potatoes for 5-7 days (90%+ of calories)
    2. Eat between 2 and 4lbs of potatoes daily, include cooked and cooled daily!
    3. Unlimited coffee, tea, and water.
    4. Spices, salt, pepper, and vinegar OK.
    5. Lifting of Heavy Things discouraged, think ‘de-load week’ Lifting light things/walking OK.
    6. All normal supplements OK to continue
    7. IF’ing, especially by skipping breakfast encouraged.
    8. If you need to lose more weight, alternate the “Potato Reset” diet with healthy Primal Blueprint in 5-7 day increments.
    9. Not recommended for people who eat every 2-3 hours, have glucose issues, or have eating disorders.
    10. Highly recommended for people who have their hunger under control, have been eating PB style for 6 months or more, and are having trouble losing weight with the normal approaches.

Some suggested reasons this works so well:
    - Food Reward/Satiety
    - Calories Restriction
    - Resistant Starch/Butyrate/Gut Flora Connection
    - Insulin Sensitivity Regained
    - Ketosis from calorie restriction/butyrate forming short chain fatty acids
    This was a highly controversial diet hack last year. Works for some, not for others. If LC isn't doing it for you, this is a quick way to see if carbs are your friend. Just eat potatoes for 3-4 days. If you find you start losing fat really fast, keep going for a week or so. If you feel bad and get bloated, go back to your regularly scheduled diet. Sometimes it's good to go the complete opposite way of what's not working rather than going deeper into it.

If you try this, and lose 5-10 pounds pretty quickly, you may need to completely re-think your LC tactics. I know I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    Seems that you've had salt, some fat, a little protein and some alcohol. Bloat is to be expected.

Tomorrow, how about changing it up a little?
    A couple of eggs and some sauteed veggies (pepper, mushrooms, spinach, etc.)
    lots of tea, iced or hot, black or herbal
    real meat: some chicken or beef or pork, something delicious and as unprocessed as possible
    a salad
    more veggies and meat
    a piece of fruit

Some people have a lot of water weight to drop, are young men, lose weight easily, or might be doing an intense weightlifting program. They'll lose weight a lot quicker than I, an older moderately active female, will! I wish you much success, but think you will be very disappointed if you are here looking for a quick fix. If you can ignore the scale and focus on becoming incredibly healthy and strong, you'll get the results you're seeking, but it will most likely take quite awhile. Make tweaks to the blueprint as needed to develop your optimal plan, but please recognize there is no miracle cure for fat. Healing your body so that it can give up the fat just plain takes time.
    Yea...I am going to really watch my salt from now on too. The bacon is good but having it more often than not might be the better way for me.

[QUOTE 7 Steps To a Flexible Diet[/url][/QUOTE]

Interesting read, thank you for that link.

Just to share, for the last 30 days my carbs have been under 25 grams for 30 days but my calories have been on average 1500 and up to 2000.

Based on some of you out there, it appears the lower calorie way works for you and I know it worked for me too when I was on HCG...the issue again was the fast weight gain after I was done.

However, on a positive note, I realize that I manage to maintain in the last 30 days so this is actually not a bad thing even though my goal was to lose weight. At least after I lose, I think I know where I can maintain but I will have to reduce the calories still...because I am heavier right now.

But it still comes down to what is it I got to do to lose...so yesterday I stuck to the 800 calorie menu. I woke up hungry but I feel a tad lighter.

My goal today:

Eggs and veggies for breakfast

Dinner: we are attending a graduation party so I will eat protein/veggie options
    Glass of wine too.

Lotta water and no exercise today...it's my rest day and I need it! Along with the chores around here and outdoor gardening!!

The goal is to keep calories from 600 to 1200...never over 1200. Hopefully, this path in 30 days will work for me while maintaining a primal eating program. I say 30 days because that is when I will measure and review again.

The only measurement I got yesterday was my waist: 31.5"...I use to be 28"...I will take better measurements of the whole body later today too!

Thanks for your continued comments....I feel a bit better about the path I am going on...even though it's substantially lower calories....eventually, I hope to get this figured out!
    Last edited by tinacristina; 06-09-2013 at 10:40 AM.

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    I cant figure out what will work best for me. Ive been at this for 30 days and lost 1 pound. I got 20 lbs to go and im having a hard time because its going so slow and im ready to give up...its depressing me today....so im trying hard to do this as a life time plan but I frustrated.
    Here's the root of your problem. Please don't take this the wrong way but you're just too impatient. 30 days is not even close to being a reliable measuring stick for your future success. The primal diet is not an instant wonder pill. Different people's bodies have different time schedules for when the weight starts dropping. You need to give your body time to reset itself and release the unwanted pounds on it's own terms. By giving it the right tools, it will not disappoint you.

Bottom line, if you're at this same level 6 months to a year from now, you might have a problem. As for now, you don't have a problem, you're just impatient.

Again, please don't take this wrong but your expectations must be realistic.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Mix it up and give your digestion different challenges.

*Do some fasts and binges
    *Mix up your daily macros
    *Mix up your daily calories
    *Mix up your meal intervals
    *Move your daily calorie deficit to a weekly average deficit.

I know it goes against what most people recommend but it really works, I lost over 65 pounds in 4 months doing a similar protocol while eating off the primal food list. (Link in my sig if you want more details).

The basic idea behind this is; the human body is anti fragile (thrives on variable conditions). This is very evident when looking at how our physical conditioning works (eg we can't just give our bodies the same repetitive daily physical task and expect long term robust conditioning) the same goes for diet. Give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Way to go on your weight loss...congrats to both you and your wife!! Yea, mixing it up is a good idea. I get that idea and metabolic confusion too...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast