Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goal is to lose weight faster.....what works for you? page 2

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tinacristina View Post
    Can you share what helps you to drop the weight? I have read where some of you do high fat. Some count calories. Others eat higher carbs to 100 grams and others stick to 20 grams...

I cant figure out what will work best for me. Ive been at this for 30 days and lost 1 pound. I got 20 lbs to go and im having a hard time because its going so slow and im ready to give up...its depressing me today..

I work out and mix it up with weights , sprint and yoga.....i eat 1500 calories on average. My goal is weigh..152 -155 lbs.i eat around 70 grams protein and 20 grama carbs yet higher fat in 90 to 120 range and yet i cant budge...so this aint working.

My thyroid is in normal range..i am on medication...i drink lots of water.

What has worked in the past is HCG but my weight always comes back on when i finish...so im trying hard to do this as a life time plan but I frustrated.

I hate to sound like a broken record around here...i just wish i see results.

I am not sure how to speed this up anymore so I figure maybe what is working better for most of you might work better for me.

Your input is appreciated...
    My taking-- Focusing on weight loss as the goal is an exercise in futility. This is especially true when one has thyroid issues. Weight is, again IMO, something you can work on/towards but you can not control the when, how much, or if the scale will show a number that reflect the things you can control.

I think it's more important to focus on things you have control over. For me, it is my choices. I can control what and how I eat. I can control how much I move. I can control if I pick up a weight.

I also think the focus should be on getting and staying healthy, as well as committing to seeing/believing what you are doing as a LIFESTYLE, not a lose weight fast diet.

I found success when I gave myself permission to stay obese if I got and stayed healthy. I then made a plan, outlining what knew I would do as well as what I wouldn't, and then spent time committing to it emotionally and psychologically before I implemented it.

One of the biggest things I had to keep telling myself during the commitment phase and after was-- I am getting healthy. My choices will not be ruled by the scale.

A year after I started MY plan I was healthy based on my standards as well as health markers. A perk of that year of choices-- I was down almost 50 lbs.

I've stayed healthy and kept the weight off, with a few pumps in the road (I have thyroid disease too), for over 3 years. Even those bumps haven't derailed me because-- While I can't control the scale or how my body reacts, I can ALWAYS control my choices.

So, my suggestion is stop searching, hoping, wishing for a quick fix. It sounds like you've be there done that without long term success. Instead decide to let things take as long as they will when you control what you can-- your choices.

Finally, "my thyroid is in the normal range" doesn't say or mean much, IMO. Normal range for what, TSH, Free T4, Free T3? And, where in the range are these numbers? I ask because I firmly believe that simply being in range does not mean feeling and functioning optimally.
    Last edited by marcadav; 06-08-2013 at 04:06 PM.

miniGrokette is offline Member
    ^ This.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tinacristina View Post
    When you say eat less...how many calories do you eat generally? Are your carbs more veggies then?

I am thinking that I may need to reduce my calories too.

Thank you for your input.
    I usually end up at 1500 - 1600 calories with approx 150g carbs. I eat some low glycemic veggies, but mostly starch like white potatoes, sweet potatoes, plantains, bananas and rice. I don't skimp on sugary fruit especially when in season and have occasional treats like gelato or/and chocolate. I also prefer MCT fats and avoid pufas as much as I can.
    I tend to exercise a lot too.

MarieD is offline Junior Member
    Yes I agree - I was saddened that just by changing the quality of my food wouldn't lead to weight loss - but once reconciled to that I found out that when eating well I could control my portions much easier than ever before and weight started coming off slowly but consistently. Didn't want to rush it - new habits and tastes formed.

GiGiEats is offline Banned
    HIGH HIGH protein, very little carbs. I find that if I eat a lot of animal protein and very little carbs, meaning really just a few leafy greens, I lose weight and look very cut - probably because there is no fiber STUCK IN MY GUT causing me to look bloated. I honestly can eat 2 - 4 pounds of animal protein when I eat this way. It works for me.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    I figured out my body doesn't like to lose WEIGHT...or gain weight for that matter. It likes this 10lb range and will work hard to increase/decrease metabolism to keep it in that range.

So I started lifting weights. Gaining muscle while on a high fat/moderate protein/very low carb diet has allowed my body to start losing the last bit of FAT.

So far today i have had 800 calories..

4 bacon strip
    Ham with lettuce
    glass of white wine..

My belly is bloated..i need more water...i am not eating any more tonight..

I really appreciate all the comments...i got to tweak my diet no matter what...i am going to push lower calories...i don't think there is any other options
    if I want to lose weight. Thats all i can think to do now...today I'm just feeling bummed...I want this to work for me and when I look in the mirror I need results....I guess plan B here I come....

Quote Originally Posted by GiGiEats View Post
    HIGH HIGH protein, very little carbs. I find that if I eat a lot of animal protein and very little carbs, meaning really just a few leafy greens, I lose weight and look very cut - probably because there is no fiber STUCK IN MY GUT causing me to look bloated. I honestly can eat 2 - 4 pounds of animal protein when I eat this way. It works for me.
    This appeals to me too

rcav8r is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GiGiEats View Post
    I've been suspecting this myself. I seem to lose a bit more in the next day or two when I have a lot of protein, but I havent "tested" this yet.

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You can't really go wrong with being fat adapted (you'll be burning free fatty acids all the time) and fasting.

Fasted cardio is another. And intense exercise.

Finally if all that fails you will need to start tracking calories (use myfitdayday) to make sure you are eating under maintenance.

Stick to those basics.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast