Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fruits to cope with boredom? And stomach problems page

Katharina is offline Member

Fruits to cope with boredom? And stomach problems

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone. A little bit about me to start with

I'm 22 female and I've been mostly grain free for about 6 months, but NOT sugar free. I've been sedentary and without school/job for several years due to anxiety and depression.
    Since september I've had problems with my stomach, I'd get massive stomach cramps everytime I ate dinner and would run to the toilet 3 times straight after eating, my body seemed to be depoisoining itself, and I'd be weak and cold for the rest of the night.

So that's basically why I started 100% primal eating about 1½ week ago and my stomach has been doing wonderful, compared to before, since.
    When my stomach was a mess I got into the habbit of devouring tons of milk chocolate and crisps everyday, because my body couldn't keep in normal food and it was constantly calling out for quick energy fixes.
    I have a hard time getting completely out of this snacking habbit, mostly due to boredom. I don't do much everyday atm - although that will change when I start in (chefs) school in August. I'll also start lifting weights in August and get that part going. The reason I'm not starting instantly is because my boyfriend and I are leaving for Belgium for a month to visit his parents so there's no point for us in reopening our gym membership yet.

So basically, here's the real question: Is it okay that I use "candy" such as bananas, almond butter, 85% chocolate, strawberries and melon to get through the "fake" cravings for sugar when I'm bored, untill my life is filled with more activities? It doesnt seem to upset my stomach, but is it too much sugar? I might eat 2 bananas with almond butter and a quarter of a melon in one day.

Also, if anyone read this far, does anyone have any idea if there's something specific I should do/not eat within primal food range, with the type of stomach problems I've been having?

Thank you
    Katharina
    Last edited by Katharina; 06-08-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Owen is online now Senior Member
    I ate a lot of fruit whilst transitioning to primal eating. I know a lot of people advocate low-carb, but there is a huge difference between eating fruit and eating junk sweet foods - for one thing the fruit will satiate your appetite, wheras, as you probably know - chocolate bars don't. The longer I've remained on this diet, the less reliant I have become even on fruit, I just don't snack as much as I used to as I don't need to - the body changes over time, but in the initial stages, fruit is a great way to deal with sugar cravings, plus it contains a lot of nutrients anyway.

Cannot comment on stomach problems but if your dietary changes fix that - all for the better!

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Perfectly fine. Fruit is wonderful. If your stomach problems come back, remove the oods you added to ind the culprit. Vegetables and coconut are common suspects.
    Last edited by j3nn; 06-08-2013 at 02:26 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    It's fine, but is it helping you reach your goals?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

miniGrokette is offline Member
    I love to snack on blackberries and mascarpone or cottage cheese.

Also, a month is plenty of time to make a difference in your life without a gym membership. You can start really small. On Netflix there is a 10-minute pilates program that is at an intermediate level. Commit to 10 minutes a day. Or commit to 10 push ups a day. Or 10 squats a day. Or 30 seconds of plank day. Or a walk followed by any of these. Make it 5 if you have to. Start so small you can't fail, and it will literally take no more than 10 minutes of your whole day.

Sometimes the formation of the habit is more important that anything else. Also, one more thing. There is no need to "trick" yourself into thinking fruit is "candy." Fruit tastes good. Cultivate a love for fruit. Good luck, I hope you feel better.
    Last edited by miniGrokette; 06-08-2013 at 02:47 PM.

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Nothing wrong with fruit. The problem with most sugary junk food is the type of oils they use and other additives.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I consider all of the foods you called "candy" a healthy part of my diet.

That said, mindless eating out of boredom can be problematic. I'd also work on finding an "alternative" to eating food when bored. I go for a walk with my ipod when I am tempted to eat out of boredom. To assess.... when I want a snack, I ask "would I eat canned tuna right now?" If yes, I am indeed hungry. If no, I'm bored.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katharina View Post
    So basically, here's the real question: Is it okay that I use "candy" such as bananas, almond butter, 85% chocolate, strawberries and melon to get through the "fake" cravings for sugar when I'm bored, untill my life is filled with more activities? It doesnt seem to upset my stomach, but is it too much sugar? I might eat 2 bananas with almond butter and a quarter of a melon in one day.

Also, if anyone read this far, does anyone have any idea if there's something specific I should do/not eat within primal food range, with the type of stomach problems I've been having?

Thank you
    Katharina
    I think all those things are fine . Personally, I don't do well with almond butter. Probably because I can tend to eat to much in sitting though. I prefer either sunflower seed butter or coconut butter. Those are both nut free options. But if you don't notice any problems with nuts or almond butter I wouldn't worry about it.

Do you think it was gluten causing your stomach problems before primal? Or maybe dairy? If you eat potatoes (yes they are primal) you might want to peel them first. Some people don't do well eating the skins.

rcav8r is offline Senior Member
    Try adding nuts to your snacks (not peanuts, of course). Walnuts, macademia nuts are a couple.

You could also, when you get the urge, to stop, and think to yourself..."Am I really hungry, or is it just my body trying to trick me?"
    You might also try having a drink of water instead when these urges come up.

Muppet is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Try papaya. Make sure it's not from Hawaii (because then it is GMO). Papaya has great enzymes that help the stomach and tastes great
    Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast