Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on increasing the amounts I eat page

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member

Advice on increasing the amounts I eat

Shop Now
    As some of you know I've been eating an 800 calorie VLC diet for the last 7 weeks to reverse my diabetes and I am very nearly there with that goal. My weight has dropped from 242.5 lbs to 181.6 lbs and I want to hit and stay around 130-140lbs. I'm still losing around 1lb a day and although I keep expecting it to stop or slow down it hasn't yet.

I'm trying to get my head round what I will need to eat to maintain a weight of 135lbs. I'm currently happy with the amount I eat and am not hungry so rarely eat more than I intend. I cant imagine eating much more actually.

When my body fat is around normal and I'm not using my own fat as energy do you think it likely that my appetite will increase and I'll want to eat more?

Any thoughts on this would be useful and around the increasing calories etc without disturbing blood sugar again?
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 06-08-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Hey carbdodger...good show. I am pretty skinny and eat low carb. I try to listen to my body and have a bit of a feast when really hungry and cut down a bit when I'm feeling ok. There's no need to reintroduce carbs but if you do try to eat some that have nutritional value so maybe some carrots with butter and black pepper as a side dish or roasted sweet potato chips. these my go to carbs when I am trying to up my energy for a run. Take a look at some glycaemic index information if you want to avoid spiking glucose and don't eat carbs on their own. What you're doing at the moment sounds like you are pretty determined to get healthy. Have a look here: GI Database Glycaemic index is a measure of how fast the glucose from the food gets into your blood. The glycaemic load is as important and will tell you how much total glucose your system will have to deal with.

I didnt know you ate so low calories...perhaps thats what i need to do. My weight loss is just not happening..

Can you share what a typical diet day looks like for you?

today I ate at
    breakfast; 1 egg mashed with 1/2 tablespoon mayonaise and cress spread on 2 slices organic ham then rolled up
    lunch; pork meatballs (2oz ground pork with onions and leaks (fried then pureed and mixed in with the pork) cooked under the grill with a green salad
    dinner; chicken breast cooked with onions tomatoes, mushrooms and indian spices with roast cauliflower
    evening snack; mixed berry salad with a 1fl oz cream whipped

this is pretty typical -
    lunch- is usually meatballs,kebab,pattie-I make 1lb at a time -then theyre easy to grab for work, theyre also good for the munchies. i change the seasonings for variety- I had lamb koftas last week.
    sliced meat and egg rollies are my favourite breakfast. i use roast beef and horseradish eggs too.sometimes i just have a few apricots
    dinner is my biggest meal. if i eat more here it comes off my evening snack
    evening snack- meatballs or fruit or a sausage
    I don't always have cream but today is saturday

I aim for around 200 calories a meal but the dog gets a share !
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    I'd jut eat bigger portions of what you already eat if you enjoy the foods and it's working for you. I know you have specific medical goals in mind, so basically keep doing what's working for you, only do it on a larger scale as needed.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

that makes sense j3nn, eating starches concerns me as they've been my addiction along side wheat

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    that makes sense j3nn, eating starches concerns me as they've been my addiction along side wheat
    If your regime is having success, definitely continue and only change if you encounter resistance,then reevaluate and adjust as needed. You can make a fifth meal or just larger portions of what you eat. Hopefully one day when you are completely well you will be able to have a bigger variety with starches and so on. You'll know when the time comes!

And congrats on your success! Very impressive.
    Last edited by j3nn; 06-08-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I'd jut eat bigger portions of what you already eat if you enjoy the foods and it's working for you. I know you have specific medical goals in mind, so basically keep doing what's working for you, only do it on a larger scale as needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    Yes, J3nn's advice makes sense. Also if there are addiction issues involved, it may take a while for those to fully go away even after you have reached goal weight. Triggering an overeating episode would waste a lot of your great efforts.

I continue to be in awe of your progress. Well done.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I think one thing to do is to add in one new food at a time so it can be watched carefully to see how it goes addiction wise.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I generally eat 100-120g carbs a day, so the specifics of my diet probably won't be helpful, but maybe the trajectory of weightloss/appetite may be.

I found that as my weight approached the top of the normal weight range (142lbs at my height), I got a lot hungrier. I think I was burning body fat pretty easily when I had it and then my body noticed when supplies got significantly lower. I also thought I was getting pretty saggy and deflated looking (probably due to loss of lean mass, hard to avoid when you're aggressively losing) so I made a deliberate decision not to stress over slower weight loss. The next 20 lbs took as long as the first 50. The increased appetite was a little stressful, mentally, but once I saw weightloss didn't come to a dead stop, I relaxed a bit.

I think if you stay focused on managing your BG over everything else, you'll probably make "smart" choices.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast