Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you critique this menu? Hubby has bad carb flu. page

Poppi is offline Member

Can you critique this menu? Hubby has bad carb flu.

Primal Fuel
    So husband is only on day 5 Paleo and he has had the carb flu bad since day 1. He’s getting discouraged and yesterday resorted to an energy shot at work so he could function. My carb flu only lasted 2 or 3 days but I was 90% grain free 2 years before paleo so it was just a sugar detox for me.

Any advice? I desperately want him to stick it out but if I can’t make it a bit easier on him then I’m going to lose him.

Here is a sample of his daily eating:

Breakfast
    Sausage, eggs, yams and cabbage all cooked in ghee. Maybe a cup of coffee with heavy cream and a bit of coconut sugar.

Lunch
    Large salad with a can of tuna, a hard boiled egg and balsamic vinegar and olive oil on top.

Dinner
    Bacon wrapped chicken, butternut squash soup and kale salad.

Snacks and extras
    A few strips of homemade beef jerky
    hardboiled egg
    homemade raw dark chocolate with nuts
    one piece of fruit
    1/2 an avocado on something

I make everything myself from scratch at home and I have Celiac so I am crazy careful about additives so I know it's all gluten and sugar free. All the meat and the heavy cream is local and organic, the eggs were laid in our backyard.

Any thoughts on where I might be going wrong?

Thanks!

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    He may be dehydrated and lacking electrolytes. Bouillon drink to perk him up?

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    That's a stumper, that menu looks luxuriously complete. What were his old staples? If he's coming from "24/7 exogenous glucose" mode it'll be a little tougher.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Poppi is offline Member
    Thanks, it's what I eat but in larger quantities since he outweighs me by 60 pounds.

He ate a lot of rice before, was in the "healthy" habit of eating every 2 hours and would polish off the kids' sandwich crusts, eat bowls of gluten free cereal right before bed and such. I've taken away the kids' bread and pasta too so everyone in the house except me is a wee bit cranky this week.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    stopping the really frequent eats is probably the hardest change; I was this type of eater before too and our bodies get conditioned to expect it. I commiserate with him but it wont last much longer. He'd be better off eating a little more fruit, like berries, perhaps rather than using energy drinks
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    He just needs more time to adjust. Some people take longer than others. For me it was pretty much overnight.

For others I hear it can be a month or more.

Could be electrolytes as well, although I'd be loathe to mess around with those too much. If he's eating real fermented veggies, sausage, bacon, and beef jerky, all of which are copiously salted most of the time, I imagine he is getting his fair share of daily sodium. I never add salt to anything myself, but my consumption of fermented foods is high enough to make up for that. I eat it like candy.

His bigger issue, if it is an electrolyte issue might be an imbalance. Maybe instead of more sodium, he needs more potassium to balance electrolyte levels out? Should be at least twice as much potassium (preferably even more) than sodium in your diet on a daily basis.

Poppi is offline Member
    Good to know, I'll maybe get him to add a banana to breakfast.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Agree with drumroll...do you get lo-salt in Canada? I use that to keep potassium up as it is 50-50 NA-K. Alternative maybe diarolyte or whatever it's called in Canada (as long as it isn't full of sugar). I think it's just tough changing the habits of a lifetime. My wife went through the same stuff as she was an terrible carb-hound but I had few problems as I was used to going hungry.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Either eat more fat or just eat larger portions in general. The issue is likely caloric.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    He's on day 5? Heh, give him 10 days at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast