Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal on a very very tight budget page

Rysia is offline Junior Member

Primal on a very very tight budget

Shop Now
    Hi!

I have visited the forums many times before, but never actually registered. Today however I need some help with going/staying Primal.

My problem is as follows: I/we (a family of 4 - Mom and Dad + 1 toddler and 1 baby) have a very very tight budget - meaning, it would be very tight for a 'normal' grocery shop, let alone a primal one. However, I would really, really like to eat primal. I have gone primal before, and felt a lot better and on a CW diet. To some extent, I *need* to eat primal, as I urgently need more energy - to care for the children and then work when they sleep in the evening, as we need the income.

So I would like to ask seasoned Groks what to buy in order to get 'the most bang for my bucks'. How to create a very cheap, yet primal/primalish menu? What can I sacrifice (eg organic vegs, or pastured chicken, or...?)?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Rysia

pollo_la is offline Member
    I hear you on this!! We are a family of 8 (Mom, dad, and 6 kiddos ages 8 and under). We went primal about 2 months ago. It hasn't been "as bad" as I thought it might be, but yes, we are spending more - probably about $200 a month more on groceries. The thing that has helped the most is simply keeping an eye on sale ads. There is a store this week that has 50% off all roasts... beef and pork of every kind. So, that's what I stocked up on this week!! Another store had 8 pounds of strawberries for $5 - I bought those. When bell peppers go on sale for 3 for a dollar we eat stuffed peppers that week. I plan my meals to some degree around the sales. Also, butter and heavy cream is a cheap source of calories. I make mashed potatoes (with cauliflower puree mixed in) with lots of butter and heavy cream to go along with meat (like the roast that I bought for 50% off) add a spinach salad (I buy organic spinach in bulk at Costco) and you have a great meal for a decent price.

Poppi is offline Member
    I'll probably be burned at the stake for saying this but if you can't afford organic, then you can't afford organic. No biggie.

Look at the sales, figure out what kind of a menu is going to work for you that week and then do the best you can. You have already taken a huge step towards improving your family's health, don't feel bad (or let anyone else guilt you) because you aren't able to do it "perfectly".

Poppi is offline Member
    And incorporate lots of eggs! Great protein, good fat and relatively inexpensive. Again, just buy the best quality you can and avoid caged eggs if at all possible.

kreyes is offline Junior Member
    We are a family of 3, it's just me, my husband and our son. But dang! These boys can eat! Watching the sales ad at our fav grocery store has definitely helped a ton! Also, we have many local farmers markets that are available to us almost every day of the week, so that helps too. May be an option to try as well Good luck!

kreyes is offline Junior Member
    I should add that Costco has an amazing variety of organic produce now! A huge container of spinach for $3! Can't beat that.

TanyaV is offline Senior Member
    As other people have mentioned, you don't need to buy all organic fruits and veggies. I basically only buy organic off the dirty dozen list. Your meat doesn't have to be pastured either. Watch for sales and stock up. Potatoes and rice are cheap and filling. I feed my family of 4 on $85/week. I think the biggest step towards improving your health is dropping grains, processed foods and bad oils. After that, you do the best you can with what you have
    www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Aldi is your friend in the UK.
    Eggs are just over 2 for 15 free range
    Mince beef is under 3 for 800g (that is a frickin huge pack)
    Frozen chicken protions are less than 2 for a kilo IIRC.
    The fruit and veg is cheap, as are the nut and ground almonds.

We are self employed, earing bugger all so living on Working Tax Credit and Child tax credit and paying a mortgage out if it (we'd be far better off on the dole in a rented house) we make do for a family of 5, and I eat a lot, on about 100 a week, sometimes less if I get to the local co-op when the meat is marked down, then we get more of a variety, we even had lamb mince and a whole duck (4) last week
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    You don't need all organic/pastured/grass-fed whatever. It is optimal but far from mandatory. Tanya is 100% right, just dropping the grains, junk, and bad oils is primal, proceed from that point. Some pointers:
    - As mentioned above, shop the sales! Google is your friend here. I will buy any cuts that are cheap and google how to cook them. Haven't had a bad meal yet, and discovered some new favorites along the way.
    - Rice and potatoes. Cheap, filling, and primal. Especially for the kids, who don't generally need to be low-carb.
    - Crock-pot. Slow cook tougher (and cheaper!) cuts of meats, make stews and chili, soups, broth...the list is endless.
    - Offal. Usually very inexpensive versus meats, and versatile to boot. Plus tend to be very rich, so a little goes a long way in a meal.
    - If you make smoothies, buy the cheapest fresh fruits you can find and freeze them yourself. Right now I am getting 1lb pkgs of strawberries for about $1.50. A similar quantity of frozen in stores would be easily twice as much. This is also a way to make ice cream if you are so inclined, freeze fruit (bananas work well) and blend with a touch of cream- instant ice cream!

pollo_la is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badkty22 View Post
    This is also a way to make ice cream if you are so inclined, freeze fruit (bananas work well) and blend with a touch of cream- instant ice cream!
    Oh, I am so trying this!! I think my kiddos will love it. :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast