Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal on a very very tight budget page 2

Mutton is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Rice and potatoes. Cheap, filling, and primal. Especially for the kids, who don't generally need to be low-carb.

I was astonished to find, however, that white rice and peeled potatoes are best! Modern conventional health advice fails me again ... : (

Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Are Potatoes Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Hopefully there will come a time in your life when finances improve but until then do the best you can and don't stress over it. Youve made the most important change by removing grains and processed junk.
    Asda do a 1kg bag frozen chicken breasts for 3.99 and Aldi do the same.
    Remember you aren't looking at meat in a SAD way any more so you can buy the cheaper less fashionable cuts of meat; belly pork stir fried to crispness is wonderful, the frozen stewing meats are excellent - bung them in a slow cooker with veg, serve with rice or pots. mince is versatile and keep and eye out for pork mince -its often cheaper than beef. Iceland's plain frozen meats are reasonable just avoid the processed,coated,flavoured crap.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TanyaV View Post
    I think the biggest step towards improving your health is dropping grains, processed foods and bad oils. After that, you do the best you can with what you have
    Totally agree.

Eggs, veges, cheaper cuts of meat, soup bones and broth, milk and butter, fill up on rice and potatoes and some fruit with cream.

If you save the bones from a roast chicken, you can toss them in the slowcooker over night, there's broth tomorrow to be turned into chicken/vege soup. Two meals from one purchase. Same for lamb chops, for example.

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget sweet potatoes! They are full of vitamins (more than most, if not all, other foods), and can be bought cheaply in many stores. Sweet potato fries, baked sweet potatoes, primal sweet potato pie, sweet potato in soups, etc. can all be very delicious. Also, sweet potatoes aren't as inflammatory as normal potatoes for some people. For example, my husband can't eat normal potatoes because they come from the nightshade family, and nightshades make his hands shake... No one wants a phlebotomist drawing their blood whose hands shake!

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Also, sweet potatoes aren't treated with the fungicides that normal potatoes are (Organic Nation.tv - Blog - Dirty Dozen: Why to Always Buy Organic*Potatoes), so you don't have to worry about buying organic sweet potatoes, whereas you might want to buy organic with normal potatoes.

Xbeldaran is offline Junior Member
    Do you have space to grow some stuff yourself? It doesn't have to be much just maybe salad stuff to begin with, it could save a fortune If you do, we did go through 2/3 bags of salad at a time at 1.50 a bag, we grow our own now saving us 4 a week ( I estimated 50p for the seeds per week )

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    I buy eggs at a local farmers market in bulk, 15 CDN for 60.

I make soup out of all the bones I collect and I grow some of my veggies and again go to the farmers market for others.

I forage in my area for weeds that are actually edible such as lambs quarters and garlic mustard and I hunt squirrel and pigeon and woodchuck and slow cooker them. I look for deals and buy in bulk when I can.

I go for goat and mutton a lot as you can get a whole one for a good price and they are generally grass fed anyways.

If you can find big tubs of coconut oil (15 CDN for 1.5 L at Costco ) I cook with it to add calories to everything.

Canned salmon and sardines or whatever canned fatty fish is your friend, a can of salmon and an avocado and some salsa is a great lunch at work. I can get cans of wild caught fish for about 2 CDN each on sale.

A big bag of rice can be used in many ways to add to the kids food to power them.

I eat a lot of liver and heart and kidneys I get from the butcher, a whole beef or pork liver will be a lot of meals and it is so good for you and damned cheep.

I buy big leg bones from butcher really cheep and saw them in half lengthwise and roast them as the marrow is good and goes well with a spoon or served with eggs for breakfast.
    Last edited by Warmbear; 06-09-2013 at 05:56 AM. Reason: I cant speel.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rysia View Post
    I would like to ask seasoned Groks what to buy in order to get 'the most bang for my bucks'.
    I go with what my budget can take and just do the best I can rather than obsess over grass fed, free range organic stuff. As Rob has said, Aldi is your friend. I also use Lidl for organic carrots and sometimes they have organic onions too.

Offal (Liver/kidneys etc) from a butcher is great value. Sainsbugs has "pie fish" which is offcuts of various fish that one can buy at a better price. We also get their Value salmon. By going to a market later in the day there's usually veg/fruit bargains. Some purists will tell you that fruit is sugar. It is, but it's better than drinking coca cola or other fizzy stuff.

By buying fresh and cooking it yourself, you will definitely keep costs lower than buying ready made meals etc.

I also watch for offers and coupons to get best value. I buy Lidl's tinned mackerel in tomato sauce, herring in mustard sauce and kippers as they're good value, although not perfect they do for me.

I am growing some spinach in large pots to go with my eggs in a sort of omelette of a morning. There are other things that are easy to grow in confined spaces that will save money as well.

My advice is just do what you can when you can so that you stay within budget but still eat comparatively healthily.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldergirl View Post
    Also, sweet potatoes aren't treated with the fungicides that normal potatoes are (Organic Nation.tv - Blog - Dirty Dozen: Why to Always Buy Organic Potatoes), so you don't have to worry about buying organic sweet potatoes, whereas you might want to buy organic with normal potatoes.
    Thank you for this. I guess next time the boy child is doing science experiments, we need to get an organic potato and try to make it grow! I was wondering why his never sprouted!

Back to the original question: I buy things like ground beef in bulk, then cook a bunch at once. I make meatballs sometimes, or just brown it with onion and garlic, then freeze it in dinner-size portions for 2 (step kids are only here sometimes, so I just grab two bags for dinner then). This gives me a quick way to make up things like tacos, hamburger gravy, and chili. All I need then is lettuce or salad fixings and rice, and everybody is fed relatively cheaply and quickly.

I also make up a lot of chicken breasts at once: some wrapped in bacon, some plain and seasoned, etc., and bake and freeze them in lunch-size portions for hubby's and my lunches. A big bag of salad is cheap at Sam's, so I divvy that up into containers and we just grab a salad and a protein.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Caged really doesn't mean anything....that is, cage-free doesn't mean anything.....it just means that the chickens had access to the outside via a door, whether they used it or not is another thing.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast