Thread: Losing weight as a lean guy. Does it stop? page

kyle2006 is offline Member

Losing weight as a lean guy. Does it stop?

Shop Now
    Hi everyone,

My wife and I recently began eating primal (about a week ago) and I've already lost about 4 or 5 lbs (she's lost about 5 lbs too, which she is thrilled about). So far, we've cut out all breads, pasta, and any little processed foods that we were having before, which wasn't a lot at all. We're now almost strictly eating eggs, vegetables, coconut oil and olive oil, fruits, nuts, grass feed beef, fish, and chicken. I'm a naturally skinny/lean guy, about 5'11" 165 lbs, so I want to keep the muscle that I have and I really don't want to lose any weight. I'm assuming this is primarily water weight, but will my body adjust and stop shedding the pounds soon? My goals for eating this way are to be healthier all around as opposed to losing weight.

Help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by kyle2006; 06-08-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    If you want to maintain increase your calories and carb consumption, from starches and fruits. It probably is water weight. Maybe add some white rice, too? I wouldn't be too restrictive if you're naturally skinny.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    It may help to draw the distinction between loss of fat weight and loss of muscle weight. When you transition to a primal diet there is indeed usually a shedding of water weight as the fat cells no longer need it. The idea with a primal diet is to attain your ideal body composition so any fat loss should in theory be excess weight only. In terms of muscle mass - the diet you are eating should promote muscle gain, not loss, especially if you are physically active and particularly if you are lifting weights. If you are concerned about being too thin it might be an idea to eat some natural starches such as sweet potato, bananas or dates. You will find there is a a debate about how much starches and fruits you should eat, I advocate eating at least some, especially if weight loss is not one of your goals, but that's just my own practice - others have different approaches.

So there is an initial weight lost from the transition (which for most people, if they are overweight, is a huge bonus) but over time there will be some weight gained through muscle mass if a person is doing weigh lifting or becomes more physically active.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    You might end up surprised at how much weight you can lose. I'm 5'10, and dropped from 185 to 146 lbs before starting to lift. Now I'm at about 165, and way more solid than ever before.

If you are worried about your muscle, then start some kind of lifting program. If you are lifting, the weight you lose will be what you don't want to keep.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Agree with above. Any major dietary change can cause some startling fluid shenanigans--don't draw any hasty conclusions from it. The body is actually pretty reluctant to discard skeletal muscle. The main ways are (1) decreasing what you ask of it, e.g. quitting a strength routine or losing major body fat and (2) severe glucose shortage, e.g. starvation or chronic cardio
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    It stops. I'm a small girl and after stopping, muscle composition changes.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

kyle2006 is offline Member
    Thanks for the help.

I used to lift 3 or 4 times a week (besides bench press, I was doing mostly isolation exercises since my knee hurts from when I played hockey and I can't really do squats or deadlifts). As a result, I didn't get "big", but I definitely put on some lean muscle mass. I gotta get back into it now, especially if I want to maintain or even gain muscle.

Also, I do eat lots of fruit - mostly bananas, apples, and berries. We make a smoothie in our Blendtec almost every morning and throw a ton of fruit and vegetables in there with flax seed, almond milk, and coconut oil. Yum! I've tried cutting out all grains, but I don't know if I'll be able to continue with this if I lose more weight. I've had rice a couple times this week to increase my caloric intake, so I hope that's ok. But, I definitely want to continue with not eating breads. Will I still benefit if I eat rice or potatoes occasionally? I was told I have GERD (I tend to burp after meals which really bothers me), so that is the main reason why I want to get away from grains. I'm hoping eliminating all that crap will help my digestive system heal.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    We can't tell you all the answers for what will be best for you, but I'm a huge fan of potatoes and rice for extra calories when I'm lifting. I lift once or twice a week, and for about two days after I'm starving and can't get satisfied without one of those.