Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crunchy Primal Snacks/Veggies? page

SK1
    SK1 is offline Member

Crunchy Primal Snacks/Veggies?

Shop Now
    I love raw veggies in the summer time. I am trying to cut back a little on raw goitrogenic vegetables (broccoli and cauliflower), though, so I'd love some ideas on everyone's favorites (particularly for dipping in things like guacamole...mmmm.) Don't love the taste of celery or carrots but I eat them. What are your favorite crunchy veggie snacks?

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Jicama is good.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Cucumber is crunchy and juicy and great to dip in stuff. Raw baby asparagus is my fave guac veggie dipper though. Mmmmmmmm! But mostly I dip cold shrimp into quacamole. Great source of protein, and the avacado provides a good amount of fat.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    Summer squash

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member
    Mini sweet peppers and cucumbers

Ry
    Ry is offline Member
    who can forget celery??

carrots, cucumbers, green beans, sliced beets, and bell peppers are other good bets.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat plants that much but I gotta say I LOVE cucumbers.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I've started just blanching green beans - so they aren't tough but still crunchy. yum.
    maybe lettuce leaves, especially the crunchier part near the stem? or use a spoon to deposit some dip. +1 for capsicum (bell pepper?) though I don't know if that's goitrogenic or not. It is a nightshade.

someone mentioned using beef jerky as a dipper!!!

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    I love using veggies as a dipping mechanism for some concoctions that I like to create from time to time! I find that cucumber, sliced red peppers, carrots and celery work the best as the raw veggies, but there is however, the ultimate favorite edible plate of mine...

Recently, my family purchased a food dehydrator. Since then, we have been experimenting with various things we could dry and eat for the fun of it. My all time favorite thing to do involves my favorite all time vegetable: eggplant! What I do is peel the eggplant, and then slice it into very thin slices and let it dry overnight. In the morning, you get eggplant 'chips.' They taste great and have a nice crunch to them.

What we also do is buy large portabella mushrooms and dry the caps the same way. What is the end result you ask? Only the best hamburger 'buns' around. Try eating your bison burger with a pair of delicious dried portabella caps and you will get a food-gasm. I guarantee it. These portabellas, although not crunchy, also work great as edible plates. The other day, I took a cap, put some mustard on it, topped it off with wild smoked salmon, guacamole, and some roasted red pepper. It was a party in my mouth.

Moral of the story, if you have some cash you can spend, I suggest you invest in a food dehydrator. There is lots of fun to be done with that device!

dash is offline Member
    Oh man, I love the idea of drying mushrooms to use as edible plates or hamburger buns! It sounds like a great replacement for the "portability" quality of bread.

I sometimes use spinach leaves to wrap up a little spoonful of guacamole or liver pate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast