Thread: What's the best way to cook lamb chops? page

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member

What's the best way to cook lamb chops?

Primal Fuel
    I've never had them, as I grew up on the Cdn prairies eating beef.

I want to try them but am a bit hesitant, bc if they're anything like pork chops, I will puke. Hate pork chops in any way, shape or form.

What's the best way to prepare them? Any kid friendly recipes? They're not so keen on new foods.
    What do I do with leftovers?

MikeAtTaree is offline Member
    Most Australians would eat lamb every week. What sort of chops are they? Forequarter chops (that look like a beef Y bone steak) or loin chops (that look like a very small T bone) ?

lamb forequarter.jpglamb loin.jpg

The forequarter chops are good on the BBQ, often sold as "BBQ Lamb Chops" here - so you can do them with beef sausages, onions, mushrooms etc on the BBQ and mix all the flavours in and the kids can eat them with their fingers picnic style.

The loin chops are better as a sit down meal - I'm cooking 3 for SWMBO tonight (I'm having curry) so I'll photograph the results and post later.

In the meantime track down some garden mint or a ready made "mint sauce" or jelly - goes with lamb like cranberry goes with turkey.

Edit: nothing like pork - up there with beef, venison, etc but different.
    Last edited by MikeAtTaree; 06-07-2013 at 05:16 PM.

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Mike it is important to know what cut you are cooking.
    Here is a kid friendly recipe that never fails though.

1 bunch of mint chopped
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1 tlbspn honey (raw)
    2 tsp Dijon mustard
    2 tsp whole grain mustard
    a generous glug or two of olive oil
    1/3 cup of water
    season chops with salt and pepper and marinate in the above mixture.
    Cook on the bbq or in a skillet.YUM

MikeAtTaree is offline Member
    Now the Mrs prefers just traditional plain and simple, I'm more of a curry guy

So assemble the ingredients, a wee sprig of home grown rosemary and a garlic clove, the home brewed American Wheat Beer is for chef consumption only.

lamb 1.jpg

Rub the chops with the lightly smashed garlic clove and some chopped rosemary then fry for two minutes to seal, then turn.
    The chops will then start to exude fat from the "selvedge" and will continue to fry nicely in their own fat so put the garlic in and stir it around with the chops. Turn three or four times for a couple of minutes each time.

lamb 2.jpg

lamb 3.jpg

Dead easy - I drizzled the whole dish with mint sauce so it's actually quite moist and not dry at all. With some mashed or roasted potatoes and some onion gravy this would be a typical Australian old-school dinner.