Thread: Hello from UK page

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member

Hello from UK

Shop Now
    Hi all,
    I have been following the site for ages and eating paleo at first and now more primal for a year. I am from the UK as the title suggests and I am a Biology teacher and amateur athlete. I am evangelical about nutrition and do lots of self-experimenting (after research). In two weeks I am running a trail marathon on very low carb. Last week I managed 21 miles in 3hrs in a totally carb depleted state. I have done a few half-marathons in a train low run higher state and done ok. Has anyone done a sub 4 hr trail without carbs? This is a one off experiment and I plan to reintroduce a few sweet potatoes after the race.I am aware that it would probably be beneficial to have a bit of sugary gunk in the system but I'm trying to prove a point

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Best of luck with the marathon! I take it the point, if proved, will be underlined in the classroom? Kudos!
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Somebody has to tell them that pasta isn't sports nutrition! Currently slurping down a 400ml glass of beetroot juice before my long run. It's supposed to have a pronounced and noticeable effect on oxygen consumption. N=1 for the win

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    N=1 for the win

also - I bet you've got nice red lips and tongue now ...
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

10 Bears is offline Member
    I've never run a marathon but I have done some prolonged hill climbs in the lakes after several days of zero carb - perhaps a little 'survivalist' but again did it to push myself to a fatigue limit as an 'experiment'.

Doing various combined routes, I would be going flat out on some high sections for over 8 hours (depending on the day) - and not a drop of Kendal Mint Cake in sight. It doesn't cause me any fatigue problems, but I do draw up a mighty thirst.

I would presume this is similar physical stresses to marathon events?

Thanks folks, there are definitely different metabolic effects when running low carb. Thirst is one as you don't release as much water from the breakdown of glycogen. I also produce really salty sweat and get flakes on my head. I am thinking of scraping it off and selling it at health food shops. I can go way faster if I carb up but it's reassuring to know that you don't die when the carb tank says empty. It's great to come on here and know that I'm not the only one who does this kind of stupid stuff!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    It's great to come on here and know that I'm not the only one who does this kind of stupid stuff!
    I did the Cheviot 2000 six times 21 to 16 years ago but that was on sugar. I'd have a Mars bar and banana every hour and a half or so.

I am now finding that I can go without a meal or two and suffer no ill effects even when doing some garden activity. I was cutting down large tree branches and shoving them in a "grinder" last September. I went from 08:30ish to 17:20 just drinking water every 15 to 20 minutes as it was a bit warm. THEN I had half a pound of pig's liver, four slices of bacon, half a pound of fried onions and 4oz fried mushrooms with some Cabernet Sauvignon.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.