Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good steak, how to do it justice? page

Annieh is offline Senior Member

Good steak, how to do it justice?

Primal Fuel
    Having recently acquired a freezer full of excellent home kill beef, I find myself needing to know how to cook porterhouse, rump and filet steak. Up till now I've majored in mince and casseroles

Detailed advice on how you do it would be welcomed. My dd had a flatmate who did so many minutes each side, then so many more in a warm oven, followed by a precise rest period. But of course, she doesn't remember precisely how many minutes.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The kiss of the flame.

Seriously, get an instant-read thermometer to check the interior temperature with. Or even better, a remote-reading one that has a probe you insert in the center of the meat. An alarm goes off when the interior temperature is where you set it. You will learn pretty quickly how warm you like the interior once you have control over that.

The remote read thermometer cannot be used under the broiler. Read the instructions.

I do have a thermometer. Are you telling me that's how to judge the cookedness of a steak?

And do you really broil it? (That's like in the oven under the top element, right? What we call the griller). It never occured to me to do steak that way.
    Last edited by Annieh; 06-07-2013 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    I do have a thermometer. Are you telling me that's how to judge the cookedness of a steak?
    That's how I tell the doneness of a steak, by inserting the probe in the middle from the edge, parallel to the cut surfaces.

And do you really broil it? (That's like in the oven under the top element, right? What we call the griller). It never occured to me to do steak that way.
    I have an old gas stove, so the broiler is in the bottom drawer. I actually pan-grill them in a little butter.

Ok, thanks. That is a bit more handy information. So what temperature do you aim for?

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    and yes, it's all about temperature.

With sous vide cooking (which is low temperature/long time) the meat is submersed (vac-packed) in water at the desired finished temperature for several hours, it can then be browned off, but it is the internal temperate that determines how well done it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Ok, thanks. That is a bit more handy information. So what temperature do you aim for?
    I like it at 125F, warm but red inside. But I don't know how you like it.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Grill if you have it, if not, this is the best way to cook one (I'm a Texan, trust me):

1. Leave steak out until it's at room temperature
    2. Heat oven to around 500
    3. Get a dry pan really hot on the stove. Like, put your burner on 8 if it goes to 10
    4. Drop the steak on the pan for 30 seconds per side
    5. Shove the pan in the oven and cook the steak for 2 minutes on each side
    6. Dump the steak on a plate and cover with foil for 10 minutes

Comes out perfectly medium rare and is amazing. Might want to disable your smoke alarm prior to cooking this way, but seriously it's so good.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Grill if you have it, if not, this is the best way to cook one (I'm a Texan, trust me):

1. Leave steak out until it's at room temperature
    2. Heat oven to around 500
    3. Get a dry pan really hot on the stove. Like, put your burner on 8 if it goes to 10
    4. Drop the steak on the pan for 30 seconds per side
    5. Shove the pan in the oven and cook the steak for 2 minutes on each side
    6. Dump the steak on a plate and cover with foil for 10 minutes

Comes out perfectly medium rare and is amazing. Might want to disable your smoke alarm prior to cooking this way, but seriously it's so good.

Sent via A-10 Warthog
    seconds this approach but likes a ridged pan; i do prefer the BBQ- really hot; slap it on long enough to get good char marks then rest in foil
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast