Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good steak, how to do it justice? page 3

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Room temp at least hour before,
    Pan preferably oven proof griddle pan stick in highest heat till burning hot, oven on 180c , steak inch thick , descent cut with fat no. Fillet round here!
    Season heavy with smoked salt80% normal 20% both sides (no pepper it burns) .
    Stick it on for 3 minutes do not touch then flip over other side 3 minutes, depending on size , & thickness & preference then in oven for few minutes & then rest 10minutes on plate that keeps all the juice!
    Carve with the correct way each cut has different way with grain. Season once again with salt & now for the pepper.

With good quality beef well aged n seasoned n cooked well there is no need for any sauce to hide the flavour

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    You're right, Ryan, it didn't need sauce. I put some on the table but no one used it That made me happy because once again I knew I had pleased everyone. Thanks for the detailed instructions. A good night in the kitchen tonight.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    My "rules" for good steak (they work for me at least)

Season at least an hour beforehand so the salt can tenderize and flavor the meat. This can be done a day in advance.
    Preferably let come to room temperature (ha ha-always taste better but half the time I forget)
    Don't fuss with it! Throw it on the cooking surface and let it cook! No flipping and poking!!
    Use tongs instead of a fork
    Let it rest (and remember the temp will go up a few degrees while resting so pull off the heat early-its easier to cook longer than to try and un-cook, and dry meat is sad)
    Cut against the grain
    Season with a sprinkle of sea salt and a pat of good butter and serve
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

miata is offline Senior Member
    I did a bunch of nice steaks on Father's day with this recipe-- inspired from the Four Hour Chef. Simply amazing, and pretty darn easy.

AshSimmonds is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I did a bunch of nice steaks on Father's day with this recipe-- inspired from the Four Hour Chef. Simply amazing, and pretty darn easy.
    Hey, the "chef" from that post here, glad it worked out.

Some people have told me it seems like a lot of work and a bit convoluted, I think I just over photographed and explained it in that post, making it seem a lot more effort than it actually is.

I've since put up a simpler version - it's seriously 5-10 minutes of effort and better than restaurant quality results: Easiest Awesome Steak Method

The break-down is simply this:

* make sure the steak is thick and dry
    * rub it with garlic and cracked pepper
    * sear it in a super hot dry pan
    * put rosemary sprigs under it in the pan
    * put your "sauce" on top - the simplest is a load of butter and garlic
    * transfer it to an oven on very low
    * let it sit in there for 15-60 minutes until the middle is up to temp
    * chuck it on a plate and tip the sauce on it

I do a LOT of steak, and will have many more methods and recipes up there over time.

miata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshSimmonds View Post
    Hey, the "chef" from that post here, glad it worked out.

I do a LOT of steak, and will have many more methods and recipes up there over time.
    Cool. I just picked up some round eye steaks from Costco, since they were really cheap. How do you think that would work? I'm sure it won't match the previous filet mignon or rib eyes, but...

I made the sauce with Kerrygold butter, garlic, pepper Sally and thyme. The steaks were on a bed of garlic, scallions and rosemary. I also used some Malbec red wine, but burned it when trying to reduce at the end. The steaks were great without the wine sauce. I had some leftover hollandaise sauce from the asparagus that was pretty good with the steaks too.

I'll try your new recipe next time. Although I'm curious about what I missed without the red sauce.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    +1. I was going to post that same link. Kenji is a genius. Listen to him!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123