Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Online Dating page 11

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I seem to recall reading that most pay disparities amongst the sexes are due to choices. Women tend to be less willing to negotiate for higher wages, often work less hours than men, take work that allows them more time with children etc. All of which leads to lower pay.

That aside, how many of the 'feminists' (in quotes because f*ck if I know how everyone defines it) in this thread work for less pay than their male cohorts? If you are one that does, why do you put up with it? Why are you not sitting in your boss's office demanding more pay or calling the dept of labor?
    I have read the studies that show that women cluster in low-paying sectors. But it is also true that any sector women cluster in becomes a low-paying sector.

It is also true that women do not demand pay raises like men do. I would like to see data that showed that bosses would respond to women demanding raises by giving them comparable raises, and I have seen nothing that would indicate that would happen. Men who act aggressively in their own interest are often seen as "go-getters". Women less so.

I am self-employed, and I work in a field where women earn more than men. There are men who work in the field who are upset and think changes should be made, although it is pure market forces in action.

That's the thing. When women are disfavored in employment circumstances, they get blamed. It's their own fault. They chose to work in a field where women get paid less, even though highly skilled and educated. They chose to take time off from work and deserve to earn less money the rest of their lives for staying home to care for a baby for a year or so. Because, like, nobody should ever take care of their own kids, because it's too menial?

One can always retroactively find excuses. Perhaps it's our fault as women for having been born in a country that doesn't value the next generation enough to care kids have the opportunity to be raised by their own parents, and that parents have the opportunity to raise their own kids.

In the rare exceptions when men are disfavored, many think it's unfair and changes should be made.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 06-10-2013 at 07:22 AM.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I have friends who try to both take turns as much as possible in their child care. As in when the children are sick or need a thing with school done the mother and father who both work at approximately equally paying professional jobs take turns being the parent who "goes" that time so that neither is bearing the brunt of the burden.

The father has been told on numerous occasions that he needs to have his wife do it and has had to argue with his employer for his right to parent.

This is part of the problem. And this is why on most families it is automatically the wife who take off work to attend the issues concerning children. Men receive more backlash from bosses about it because it's what women are expected to do... and as a result women are often expected to take less pay.
    It's all a bit of ridiculous circular logic.

Old standards self reinforcing each other.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    What the hell happened in here?
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    What if I said "Can I interest the lady in a nice warm salami?"

Also, can I say "hey cutie, nice bacon" to a girl who isn't buying bacon? Or is that creepy?
    I'm blonde, so I'd probably tell you I don't eat salami and look confused if you complimented my bacon.

A clean tub is a turn on.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    What the hell happened in here?
    I don't know. Can we get back to discussing when it's appropriate to send women photos of one's dugan?

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I don't know. Can we get back to discussing when it's appropriate to send women photos of one's dugan?
    Well, that depends on the lady.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I have read the studies that show that women cluster in low-paying sectors. But it is also true that any sector women cluster in becomes a low-paying sector.

It is also true that women do not demand pay raises like men do. I would like to see data that showed that bosses would respond to women demanding raises by giving them comparable raises, and I have seen nothing that would indicate that would happen. Men who act aggressively in their own interest are often seen as "go-getters". Women less so.

I am self-employed, and I work in a field where women earn more than men. There are men who work in the field who are upset and think changes should be made, although it is pure market forces in action.

That's the thing. When women are disfavored in employment circumstances, they get blamed. It's their own fault. They chose to work in a field where women get paid less, even though highly skilled and educated. They chose to take time off from work and deserve to earn less money the rest of their lives for staying home to care for a baby for a year or so. Because, like, nobody should ever take care of their own kids, because it's too menial?

One can always retroactively find excuses. Perhaps it's our fault as women for having been born in a country that doesn't value the next generation enough to care kids have the opportunity to be raised by their own parents, and that parents have the opportunity to raise their own kids.

In the rare exceptions when men are disfavored, many think it's unfair and changes should be made.
    Sorry, but this sounds like a lot of excuses. Perhaps that is easy for me to say not being a woman, but being equal and empowered and all, why are women putting up with it? Will bosses give equal raises? Who knows. Ask and sue if you don't get one. Women choose low paying work. Okay, who is to blame for that if not women? If men make less it is pure market forces. If women do it is a nefarious scheme. Yes, looking after children takes you out of the workforce. If that bothers you don't have any. Perhaps it is unfair that the woman is expected to shoulder the load (as cori points out) but again, woman-up and tell your husband/whomever it is their turn to take 5 years out of their career to raise junior. Of course, I would be upset if I was getting paid less than you. I would be upset if I was getting paid less than another man just because he held out for more pay or pushed for a raise, but that is my fault not his (or yours).

And while we are talking about equality, why should childless women be punished because some women have children? Is it fair to them that they work without interuption meanwhile another woman gets the same pay even though they take time off to raise junior? What is the reward for dedication to career in that case?

I am all about equal pay for equal work. But equal is equal. Taking time off for whatever reason be you a man or woman is not equal work.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I'm blonde, so I'd probably tell you I don't eat salami and look confused if you complimented my bacon.
    Do you usually have any melons in your cart? That would provide an opportunity for a compliment that even those with the least perceptive hair pigmentation would recognize.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    A clean tub is a turn on.
    I've been known to tell a lady "We should go back to my place. I cleaned my bathtub and everything." 60% of the time, it works. every. time.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Rich I vote in favor of you posting images of your clean bathroom, what women doesn't appreciate a clean bathroom? It would also single you out as an original thinker and we all here now what a clever guy you are.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I've been known to tell a lady "We should go back to my place. I cleaned my bathtub and everything." 60% of the time, it works. every. time.
    Ohhhh, I got your number...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast