Thread: Supermarket Marketing Language: Fooling Consumers page

zebonaut is offline Senior Member

Supermarket Marketing Language: Fooling Consumers

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Strolling down the supermarket isle; I see "Heart to Heart" Cereal; with pictures of little hearts on the package and the Official seal of the American Heart Association® Must be healthy.

What is the implication here; that this cereal is heart healthy. It was a high carb oat cereal; perhaps 30 grams per serving of carbs. Raise your blood sugar more than a candy bar; high glycemic index. But "healthy".

Another isle; was selling "Wheat Thins". What does the word thin imply; - diet food; eat this and you'll be thin. No. Read Wheat Belly.

Its just incredible how the marketers are able to sell cheap fattening carbohydrates; which raise blood sugar; and don't induce proper satiety; as "heart healthy" diet foods.

What other examples have YOU seen in the market?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Welcome aboard! You'll find disheartening lies everywhere now that you've left the matrix. :P

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

becks83 is offline Member
    ANY cereal marketing really winds me up. I tell people they might as well cover a bowl of crushed cookies with milk and call it breakfast. Amazing how you can brainwash people with bright colours and drawing attention to one redeeming feature such as 'added iron'. And don't get me started on the recommended portion size!

texas.grok is online now Senior Member
    The lies start way before the grocery store. They started with the government recommendations on eating, the medical industry buying into those lies and food companies making a product to meet the demands of the consumers who bought into the lies of the government and the medical industry.

Now they may not be lies since the evidence would indicate that these government agencies and industries were following flawed science but the end results have been the same.

But to answer your question, what lies have I seen in the aisles? One that really gets me is the flood of artificial butters, margarines, etc. that take over the dairy aisles. You have a small section of real butter surrounded by vast numbers of the "I can't believe it is not butter" variety.

Same in the cooking oil aisles. People load their baskets with harmful oils under the illusion they are doing something "heart healthy" for themselves.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    +1 to everything everyone's said so far.

If you must continue to shop "normal" grocery stores, do 90%+ of your shopping on the perimeter. This is where you'll find produce, deli, meat, butter, and fish. Go into the evil aisles only for tomato paste, spices, olive oil, canned tomatoes and canned fish, etc. Anything in a plastic bag is suspect, though there may be pork rinds in your neck of the woods that don't contain crap. Anything in a box is most likely evil - I don't have an exception to this rule. In the frozen food section, buy only products where the ingredients are that product. Eg: a bag of frozen cauliflower has ingredients listed as: cauliflower. Most cans are lined with BPA; if this is an issue for you, buy stuff in glass jars.

It is estimated that 97% of US households have a product owned by ConAgra in the home. So, know what you're buying and from whom you are buying it.

Don't trust advertising, the govt, or the store itself (in the case of Whole Foods especially). Get out of your rut, and go find good sources for your food. It's tough at first, but it gets really easy fairly quickly.

I'm paranoid. I see lies everywhere.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

zebonaut is offline Senior Member
    I stay away from Kraft; Campbells; Nabisco; ConAgra, Kellogs; General Mills; all the multi corps.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    When I worked at a grocery store (we also sold clothing and home furnishings, too), there was this sale coupon. It was if you brought in proof of purchase for 6 boxes of Special K, and your old pair of jeans, you got a new pair of Levis jeans for 30% off. Basically, it was the 'Special K' diet with the notion that if you replaced 2 meals a day with those Special K cereals or snack bars, you would lose a pants size.

Well this was years ago, before I was Primal or health conscious (poor college kid), so I went on that diet. I didn't lose or gain any weight, I just became hungry. Hungry all. the. time. And I was only allowed to one bowl of Special K with fat free milk, or one Special K cereal bar. I guess the diet was supposed to starve you and give you enough carbs to keep chugging through the day? A week later, I went back to eating real food.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.