Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: I've hit my first plateau, I need help. page

  1. #1
    Jokaman70's Avatar
    Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    314

    Angry I've hit my first plateau, I need help.

    Primal Fuel
    So, I've lost 65 pounds since December 30th. and that's cool but I've been stuck at the same weight for 2 weeks. I have a deadline, to reach 299.9 by July 2nd, and now I'm behind schedule for the first time during this journey.

    What I would normally do is fast here and there throughout the week and that'd work for me, but it hasn't this time around. I've done two 24 hour fasts this week and nothing, no change from May 5th. At this weight, the fat should still be melting off but for some reason my goddamn body finds some sort of homeostasis here - I was stuck, once before, at around 320 pounds.

    My diet: beef, pork, chicken, bacon, eggs, cheese (in moderation), grass-fed beef tallow, olive oil, water, green tea, spices.

    My activity: intense weight training 3 days/week, park workouts 2 days/week

    Supplements: Vit. D @ 5,000iu/day, Greens + Multi-Vitamin, Sugar-Free Powdered Fiber Supplement (I will not stop taking the fiber, this is non-negotiable)

    I have money riding on my weight loss performance so I'm not kidding about a July 2nd deadline. I won't binge or do anything crazy like that but I'll sit in a sauna and stop drinking water in the day or two leading up to my final weigh-in if I have to. I'd rather not do that though so let's work on why I'm not losing weight anymore.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

  2. #2
    yodiewan's Avatar
    yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,310
    I know others might disagree, but I would advocate including some vegetables. Yeah, I know carbs = insulin = fat storage, but that's not the whole picture. Non-starchy vegetables are filling and low in calories, and I think calories do play a role at least to some extent. By eating greens, you can feel satisfied on fewer calories than on a pure carnivore diet, at least in my (limited) experience. I'd at least give it a shot.

  3. #3
    rphlslv's Avatar
    rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,005
    Calories?
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

  4. #4
    TheFastCat's Avatar
    TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,044
    Fasted cardio! And lots! Doesn't have to be intense but when fasted the fat burning effects are multiplied. Supplement your current weight training with it (instead of replacing). Also interval sprinting is really good for fat burning. That's getting your heart rate to about normal before sprinting again.

  5. #5
    Jokaman70's Avatar
    Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I know others might disagree, but I would advocate including some vegetables. Yeah, I know carbs = insulin = fat storage, but that's not the whole picture. Non-starchy vegetables are filling and low in calories, and I think calories do play a role at least to some extent. By eating greens, you can feel satisfied on fewer calories than on a pure carnivore diet, at least in my (limited) experience. I'd at least give it a shot.
    I'd love to have some vege's but I'm afraid that I'll drop out of ketosis if I do. My plan was to reincorporate vege's once I hit 299.9. I dunno, shit.

    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Calories?
    ~2500 cals/day on non-fasted days (2 meals), ~2000 on fasted days (1 meal)...at my size I think that's about as low as I can go without losing a lot of muscle mass.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    Fasted cardio! And lots! Doesn't have to be intense but when fasted the fat burning effects are multiplied. Supplement your current weight training with it (instead of replacing). Also interval sprinting is really good for fat burning. That's getting your heart rate to about normal before sprinting again.
    I bet that'd do it. I'll go do cardio tomorrow morning before I eat.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

  6. #6
    Grumpycakes's Avatar
    Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokaman70 View Post
    Sugar-Free Powdered Fiber Supplement (I will not stop taking the fiber, this is non-negotiable)
    Why? Not that I think it has something to do with your plateau, but this kind of stubbornness always catches my attention.

    You don't need to worry about losing muscle mass if you keep active and signal to your body that you are using your lean mass. If you just sit around while fasting, then yeah, maybe.

  7. #7
    Jokaman70's Avatar
    Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalchild View Post
    Why? Not that I think it has something to do with your plateau, but this kind of stubbornness always catches my attention.

    You don't need to worry about losing muscle mass if you keep active and signal to your body that you are using your lean mass. If you just sit around while fasting, then yeah, maybe.
    I know a lot of people here are very anti-fiber, that's why I said that. My first two primal months were spent with a constantly upset stomach. When I could "go", it'd be straight liquid, and any time I strained (even in the gym) it felt like I'd have an accident. I started taking 1 TBS of fiber/day and I've felt 100% fine ever since. Fiber may not work for you, or be necessary for 99% of the other people on this board, but for me it is.

    I'm a bit unique in that I started out with a great deal of muscle mass as I'm a competitive powerlifter. In the 4.5 months since starting primal, I've lost 10%, across the board, on my lifts. People with an average amount of strength/muscle mass may not lose a lot, they may even gain when switching to primal, but that's not me.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

  8. #8
    Bane's Avatar
    Bane is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,332
    I would think you could drop below those calorie levels for short periods without losing a whole lot more muscle. Assuming of course you keep the heavy lifting up.

  9. #9
    Mike Alzen's Avatar
    Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    201
    I would eat more, but I'm weird like that.

  10. #10
    Squeaker's Avatar
    Squeaker is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NZ at the moment, soon to be back in the UK
    Posts
    43
    Taking it right back to basics, these articles from Mark are quite useful. However, it seems like you're doing pretty much everything you should be....

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/weight-loss-plateau/

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/17-re...losing-weight/

    Cut the dairy? Getting plenty of sleep?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •