Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Biscuit Recipe page

Antiochia is offline Senior Member

Great Biscuit Recipe

Shop Now
    I just discovered a good basic biscuit recipe in a Prevention publication. I modified it -- I added salt, and I changed the 4 egg whites to 2 whole eggs. This is really good so I thought I'd share:

Basic Biscuits (makes 8)
    1 cup almond flour
    1 cup ground golden flax seed
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup butter
    2 eggs

Heat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, ground flax seed, baking powder, and salt. Cut in or rub in the butter until evenly distributed.

In a separate bowl beat the eggs until very foamy and lighter colored. Stir the beaten eggs gently into the rest of the ingredient. Spoon into 8 rounds on prepared pan. Flatten to 3/4" thickness and bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until golden.

Variations:
    For strawberry shortcake I added a half teaspoon of vanilla and 1 tablespoon sugar (I know, I know -- I should have used another sweetener). This was wonderful with sliced strawberries and whipped cream flavored with a dash of maple syrup and a dash of vanilla.

I think these biscuits would also be good with some strongly flavored grated cheese added in with the dry ingredients.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Finn Felton is offline Junior Member
    Just wondering if the biscuit recipe you shared can be made without the eggs. My sister is a vegetarian actually so she won't eat if I prepare it with eggs so I thought to go egg-less. Is there anything substitute of eggs?

There is, but I haven't tried it in this recipe. For each egg use 1 tablespoon ground flax seed mixed with 3 tablespoons water, and let sit for 10 minutes first to get "eggy". If you want to experiment with this egg substitute, I would only make half the recipe first.

The eggs hold the recipe together, so if this doesn't work, the biscuits will be very crumbly. If that happens, you might want to sprinkle the crumbs on top of fruit (either raw or cooked) and add some kind of topping, like whipped cream.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 06-08-2013 at 03:48 PM.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

SpitFire is offline Senior Member
    Definitely going to try this! I have an entire jar of grape jelly that is unopened.

fkjr2 is offline Senior Member
    I thought heating up almond flour was a no no due to PUFA

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    Some people are in great fear of all teh PUFAs... others not so much.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Well, I figure it's better than using wheat flour, and each biscuit would have only two tablespoons of almond flour in it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    Almond flour isn't the biggest problem, here. Flaxseed is incredibly toxic when heated. It is like consuming varnish. I wouldn't eat flaxseed fresh and raw due to the toxicity of the oils it contains and the extremely estrogenic lignans. Baking it is making a trans fat cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiochia View Post
    Well, I figure it's better than using wheat flour, and each biscuit would have only two tablespoons of almond flour in it.
    I'd much rather eat the wheat flour, honestly. Give it a shot with coconut flour, perhaps mixed with something like tapioca or potato starch. You can get a more traditional consistency out of those flour blends and avoid all the health problems associated with wheat flour, nut meals and flax.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Here are some of Mark's recipes using nuts -- some of which are baked.

Creative Nut Recipes | Mark's Daily Apple

So I don't think nuts are such a big problem, neither do I think that ground flax in an occasional baked recipe is a big problem. Most people trying to go Primal don't consume baked goods every day, and I wouldn't sprinkle ground flax on everything as some people do. For me, it isn't particularly a health food, but it does have its uses every now and then.

Ground flax does make a great egg substitute as a binder in recipes for people allergic to eggs (Substitute per egg: 1 tablespoon ground flax, 3 tablespoons water, let sit for 10 minutes or so to get "eggy" -- you can even use this to sub for the eggs in mayonnaise for people who can't eat eggs).
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Flax seed is what they make linseed oil from. After you wipe it over your furniture, it dries quickly into a hard coating. It is an oil that reacts so strongly that if you put oily rags in a closed container afterwards, the heat of the reaction can build up and cause a fire.

And when I say "can", I mean "does". It happens regularly. I knew a woman who burned down her porch after having done that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast