Quote Originally Posted by Antiochia View Post
Here are some of Mark's recipes using nuts -- some of which are baked.

Creative Nut Recipes | Mark's Daily Apple
That's fine, but that is very old information written by a very different Mark Sisson. I much more agree with his current stance...probably because I adopted it over a year before he did from my own research. His new Primal Cravings book sums it up well:

The 125 recipes in Primal Cravings are all are low-sugar, grain-free, gluten-free, and industrial oil-free. What’s more, unlike typical substitute recipes in many other paleo cookbooks, these new and original grain-free baking methods have almost exclusively eliminated the need for the typical expensive agents like almond flour and other nut flours and nut butters.

Read more: Introducing Primal Cravings! | Mark's Daily Apple
In his follow-up post:

We are so excited to have almost completely eliminated nut flours and nut butters from our cooking in this book. We are trying to minimize using huge amounts of almond flour for treats because of their phytate and omega-6 PUFA content…and because it’s so expensive! And we know many others are too. We use a new tapioca and coconut flour mixture in our breads, crusts, biscuits, muffins, and sweets. The only recipes that contain nuts are used as nut pieces or in our peanut butter flavored macadamia nut butter (that contains no peanuts)…and two recipes call for almond butter. All in all we’d estimate less than 10 recipes that contain nuts out of the 125+.

Read more: Dear Mark: Your Primal Cravings Questions Answered | Mark's Daily Apple
I don't think nuts are unhealthy in modest, infrequent quantities, but when you grind them up into a flour, increasing their surface area tenfold and shedding the protective skin, then exposing it to 350+degree temperatures when nut oils themselves go rancid simply at room temperature, you are inviting problems. You won't have these issues with tapioca flour, potato flour, white rice flour, coconut flour and masa harina. All in my opinion are "healthier" options - not exactly nutritious, but not outright toxic, either, and actually less calorie dense.

So I don't think nuts are such a big problem, neither do I think that ground flax in an occasional baked recipe is a big problem. Most people trying to go Primal don't consume baked goods every day, and I wouldn't sprinkle ground flax on everything as some people do. For me, it isn't particularly a health food, but it does have its uses every now and then.
Ground flax is going to be a much bigger problem than ground nuts. Flax is almost all PUFA, most of it omega 3, which is far less stable than omega 6. Paints and stains were traditionally made out of flaxseed oil for a reason. It is extremely prone to oxidation and contains lots of estrogenic lignans like soybeans do. Take two cast iron pans and season one with flaxseed oil and one with ghee. Watch what happens. The flaxseed oil will produce a fabulous sheen and the ghee won't turn out. That's PUFA oxidation at work.

Ground flax does make a great egg substitute as a binder in recipes for people allergic to eggs (Substitute per egg: 1 tablespoon ground flax, 3 tablespoons water, let sit for 10 minutes or so to get "eggy" -- you can even use this to sub for the eggs in mayonnaise for people who can't eat eggs).
I'd rather mash a banana or use applesauce and yogurt.