Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Steak, eggs, and StrongLifts: what can I expect? page 2

  1. #11
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,862
    Primal Fuel
    Canuck did this on a caloric surplus and reported both strength and lean mass gains while losing fat. The holy grail has been found!

  2. #12
    Misabi's Avatar
    Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,832
    I did pretty much maintenance (approx 2000 to 2300) and lost 1" off my waist, put almost 1" on my arms and increased my weighted pull-ups from 3 x 3 with 20kg to 7/7/6 with 20kg in 3 weeks.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  3. #13
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    30 days? Try setting goals on a semi-annual basis. 30 days is nothing and I would expect you to see marginal progress. You're probably not going to add 20 pounds to your bench, if thats what you're thinking...
    You will probably find yourself ready to do something different for a while at the 30 day point at the latest.

  4. #14
    turquoisepassion's Avatar
    turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NYC (and ATX)
    Posts
    2,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwell View Post
    So I'm on day three of a religious steak and eggs diet (you know the diet if you read these forums!) along with StrongLifts 5x5. I'm on week 5 of the SL 5x5. Here's my question: what strength gains can I reasonably expect in 30 days? My currents lifts are still pretty weakish -- squat 190x5, bench press 175x5, etc.

    If I stick to this diet (LOVING it so far...) for 30 days, and lift faithfully, what should I expect to see/feel 27 days from now??

    Any feedback, thoughts, etc., is appreciated. I love reading these forums!
    I am on the S&E but not doing strong lifts...rather more like 10-15 reps depending on body part. I have been increasing the # of lbs I'm lifting every 1-2 times I work on the same body part...and I do the same body part twice per week (arms & shoulders, chest & back, legs & butt & lower back).

    Also, I eat mostly at a severe caloric deficit and I've been *gaining* muscle while losing fat (maintaining weight). It doesn't really make sense from a traditional caloric standpoint but I'll take it.

    In other words, I think if you eat at a caloric surplus, you'll gain a LOT of strength. If you eat at a caloric deficit, you might still gain some strength but also lose some body fat.

  5. #15
    canuck416's Avatar
    canuck416 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sebastopol, CA
    Posts
    1,304
    As Neckhammer mentioned I gained muscle and dropped fat during my 30 days. I was meticulous in ensuring that I was on average about 200 calories over my daily maintenance net calories. I had strength increases in all lifts but this probably would have happened on any diet as I employed an intense 6 day split body building type of workout and was very focused on progressive resistance. The combination of lean mass gain and fat loss at 61 years of age was the most exciting part of this diet. I definitely think the diet/strength training combination increases testosterone levels. eKatherine is correct in saying 30 days is long enough and you will need to change up and add some variety and then recycle the steak and eggs approach a couple of times throughout the year to get the best results.

  6. #16
    Fernaldo's Avatar
    Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Temecula, CA
    Posts
    889
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    I did pretty much maintenance (approx 2000 to 2300) and lost 1" off my waist, put almost 1" on my arms and increased my weighted pull-ups from 3 x 3 with 20kg to 7/7/6 with 20kg in 3 weeks.
    Sounds like you found the miracle workout. Why would you ever stop if these where the actual results for a 3 week period...
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

  7. #17
    Bagwell's Avatar
    Bagwell is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    As Neckhammer mentioned I gained muscle and dropped fat during my 30 days. I was meticulous in ensuring that I was on average about 200 calories over my daily maintenance net calories. I had strength increases in all lifts but this probably would have happened on any diet as I employed an intense 6 day split body building type of workout and was very focused on progressive resistance. The combination of lean mass gain and fat loss at 61 years of age was the most exciting part of this diet. I definitely think the diet/strength training combination increases testosterone levels. eKatherine is correct in saying 30 days is long enough and you will need to change up and add some variety and then recycle the steak and eggs approach a couple of times throughout the year to get the best results.
    Did you do a carb "re-feed" every six or seven days? Or straight up 30 days steak/eggs??

  8. #18
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    Sounds like you found the miracle workout. Why would you ever stop if these where the actual results for a 3 week period...
    Because it reaches the point where your body tells you that "time's up". I'm still stronger than I was when I started. I loved it when I started. But when the time came, I had to stop.

  9. #19
    canuck416's Avatar
    canuck416 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sebastopol, CA
    Posts
    1,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwell View Post
    Did you do a carb "re-feed" every six or seven days? Or straight up 30 days steak/eggs??
    Yes I did a carb refeed every Sunday. Kept it mostly Primal with yams, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, beets etc but did add white rice and gluten free pasta. My protein was low fat, primarily tuna.

  10. #20
    Fernaldo's Avatar
    Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Temecula, CA
    Posts
    889
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Because it reaches the point where your body tells you that "time's up". I'm still stronger than I was when I started. I loved it when I started. But when the time came, I had to stop.
    I was responding to Misabi's post and questioning the actual results....

    And on another note, the steak and eggs things is a bastardization of The Anabolic Diet. Which is used for longer than 3 weeks (because it's simply too short for any type of conclusive evidence of efficacy) and in this diet you re-fead every 6-7 days.

    Prolonged carb restriction blows for lifting.
    Last edited by Fernaldo; 06-10-2013 at 08:33 AM.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •