Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Maybe because you have hypothyroidism ... OK I'm out
    touche... I lol'd

but I actually have hyperthyroidism ;_;
    nihil

Green Deane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Almost all cars have similar parts, but the origin and makeup of those parts can vary greatly.
    And like any bodyshop customizing a car it takes time, planning and the right materials.

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    If we are Eastern European, we need to sustain a higher body-mass.
    Why is this? Not that I doubt it's true, I just don't know why. Is it because of the cold?

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldergirl View Post
    Why is this? Not that I doubt it's true, I just don't know why. Is it because of the cold?
    It's actually simpler: we have larger, heavier bones and lay down muscle very well. An inactive Eastern European will have a higher healthy BMI than a Southern European and a much higher healthy BMI than an East Asian under the same circumstances. Have a look at some Slavic or Baltic bones. They look normal at first but, side-by-side to an East Asian (they are on the opposite end of the scale), they look like the skeleton of some kind of a monster
    I noticed this long before I knew I was phenotypically Slavic (or what a phenotype was, or even that I had Slavic blood). When I was 13 I was anorexic (weighed around 55kg and was 1m 50-odd). I recall my BMI being calculated as 23.3, despite the fact you could play the xylophone on my ribs.

PS: I just noticed that the East Asian vs East European comparison is actually quite good for arguing the cold theory: both phenotypes developed under extremely cold weather. One became smaller and lighter with compact facial features to avoid frostbite and a smooth facial line. The other developed the smooth facial line, but became larger, heavier and developed denser bones. Both bodies hold-in warmth and prevent frost-damage, they just went different ways.
    Last edited by Kochin; 06-07-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Ah, big bones. Thank you. That makes sense. I've often noticed how some people can't look "skinny" (even if they are) because their bones are so large. I hadn't realized this was a slavic trait. I have some slavic blood in me, and look a lot like my grandma who is half czech, but I definitely did not inherit the big bones. Mine are tiny and like to break .

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Regarding bones though, I don't know.

Example. If you are in Asia you see Korean women with very small frames and people say "oh that's just genetic, white women can't be that slim because of their bone structure".

But if you look at Koreans born in America, fed milk, bread and cheese they can have massive bulky frames...just the same as most Americans.

Really "genetics" is just time. And probably not that much time either.

So I'm still not sure about this "we're all different" business.

Poppi is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    "All healthy persons are alike; each unhealthy person is unhealthy in his own way."

Love the Tolstoy!

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    I'm much taller (5'9"), more hour-glassed, more muscular, more big-boned, and just overall different in body build than the average Chinese person partially because of Manchurian genes from my mom's side. This is despite eating more or less the same diet as most people in China for the first 8 years of my life (communist regime, food stamps limiting amount of dairy/sugar/flour for every person). I also am way more carb-sensitive and do very well with almost no carbs. I'm assuming my affinity to large feasts of red meat also comes from Manchu roots. Manchus were pretty much hunter-gathers until the 12th century when they conquered China and established the Jin dynasty. No agriculture.

Epigenetics (turning on/off genes by environment/life choices) is definitely important but genetics definitely makes a person more prone to exhibit certain traits.

I'm sure there are other people who thrive on tons and tons of starches but I'm just not one of them (which is unfortunate because I love carbs).

texas.grok is online now Senior Member
    "Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

~Tyler Durden from the movie "Fight club"

And he is exactly right. We are not unique just because we are human. At the end of our life's we will die just like everyone else does.

We make ourselves unique by what we do with our life's, how we choose to live our life's.

There is a difference between existing and living.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    It's actually simpler: we have larger, heavier bones and lay down muscle very well. An inactive Eastern European will have a higher healthy BMI than a Southern European and a much higher healthy BMI than an East Asian under the same circumstances. Have a look at some Slavic or Baltic bones. They look normal at first but, side-by-side to an East Asian (they are on the opposite end of the scale), they look like the skeleton of some kind of a monster

I noticed this long before I knew I was phenotypically Slavic (or what a phenotype was, or even that I had Slavic blood). When I was 13 I was anorexic (weighed around 55kg and was 1m 50-odd). I recall my BMI being calculated as 23.3, despite the fact you could play the xylophone on my ribs.
    We are all different - although Kochin and I probably have the same great-great-great-great grandparents.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast