Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I cook too good, eating out sucks now page

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member

I cook too good, eating out sucks now

I've realized something.

Eating out just isn't a super fun experience anymore.

* Quality of ingredients: I use the best quality. Restaurants generally don't use as good stuff. I can really tell now (before I was clueless).
    * Complicating food: perhaps because of the above they add sauces, breading, to fix the lack of flavor and "wow" the customer. Too many ingredients. So hard to find a simple plate and food.
    * Just don't feel good: perhaps because of all these complicated ingredients I generally don't feel great after. I theorize my body is now used to very clean combinations (meat, vegi, clarified butter, salt, done) and has become sensitive to contaminants? Too much sugar, vegi oil, or who knows what in there.

Anyhow, I only bother going out now if it is supposed to be a great restaurant. But I often find myself feeling rather disgusted by the experience and wondering why I didn't just cook up a fantastic feast at home.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

jmosery is offline Member
    Yes!! I used to love going out but even a clean meal isn't clean and if I want to be certain it's boring like a salad with grilled chicken and vinegar. Even a nice steak has to have all this seasoning with added salts and sugar and god knows what else because the next day I've gained ten pounds from a steak and steamed vegetables where at home I lose weight eating that.

I really dread having to go out to eat when I used to love going out with DH. Drinking is the same way. Used to love my wine but now not so much and it takes the .... Out of date nights.

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    Totally! The only thing I usually eat out is steak & veggies, or bacon and eggs. They are never cooked the way I like, which is not very cooked at all. And it's overpriced!

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Yeah my body definitely hates eating out now. And I don't just mean fast food, even sit down places of varying level of 'goodness' tend to upset my tummy and make me break out.

What you need is a great steak house. The traditional good ol boy American steakhouse, where a huge slab of beef is flash seared with nothing but salted butter and the side dish is an after thought. *daydreams*

Of course the cows you'll eat there are nearly always grain fed and finished, but they also age the beef and give huge portions.

*daydreams more*

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy15 View Post
    Totally! The only thing I usually eat out is steak & veggies...
    Yeah, I love steak houses now. That is about all I can tolerate. Funny I would have never gone to these places before, but they get it. Steak, asparagus, butter, done! Maybe a potato.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Kimichi, I only eat out if I heard the restaurant is really good or sometimes when I'm traveling.

I used to be a chef and I can honestly say there isn't a restaurant w/in reasonable driving distance that prepares food as well as I can at home. We also raise a lot of our food and I know the quality of the food at restaurants can't compare to what we have chez nous. Not to mention the careful thought I put into each dish, having spent many years working in the industry I know what goes on behind the scenes, kind of takes the glamour out of dining out.

I'm also usually disappointed in how unimaginative the dishes are.
    Last edited by Urban Forager; 06-06-2013 at 05:37 PM.

firetiger is offline Senior Member
    I completely agree with this. Now if I eat out I feel super ill. I try to stick to some meat and a salad. Sometimes it has a negative effect & sometime not. I, too, dread going out to eat sometimes. Also some beers now upset my stomach which I don't appreciate because I still like to drink occasionally. Oh well...vodka soda doesn't upset my stomach.
    Aren't we all just works in progress?

Using primal as a tool to heal depression/anxiety & promote overall well-being:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84615.html

Patti is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely! Cooking clean, high quality foods has definitely spoiled me for eating out. Wish we did have a good steakhouse nearby.

Lately I've realized just how often I used to eat junk food. I really thought I ate a "healthy whole grain diet" most of the time, until recently when I find that running errands is taking less time than it used to. Stopping for a small burger and fries, or a couple of donuts with coffee, or a couple of slices of pizza as a snack happened all too frequently. It really is no wonder I'd turned into a blimp. Now the thought of stopping for any of these is so unappealing. My biggest splurge lately has been coffee with friends. Even that hasn't been as tasty as the good quality beans that I buy for home use.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I only enjoy eating out if I can get something better than I can make at home. Or ethnic food.

Even steak houses don't excite me anymore. I usually have t-bones and ribeyes in the freezer!
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My most recent trip to a steak house was a phenomenal experience on my birthday. It included a cut of steak I'd never even heard of called 'culotte' which I was informed was a very flavorful cut that was not very tender and should only be cooked medium rare or less. I mean most steak is better medium rare or less, but, you know. :P

I guess most ppl don't order it upon hearing that it is not as tender, most people go for the filet mignon at a steakhouse (fools!) and he certainly didn't expect a mere woman to order it. :P Of course my puny cousin ordered the 8 oz filet, meh. :P

I let the waiter know that I had my heart set on that flavorful 12 oz hunk of beef and to do it on the rare side of medium rare. IT WAS SO FRIGGING GOOD. I swear it was the best steak I ever had. :x Garlic mashed tatos were a delight also.

Had an appetizer of goat cheese and garlic roasted in the oven accompanied with bruschetta. I'd go back just for that, honestly.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast