Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: I cook too good, eating out sucks now page 4

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i used to eat plain yoghurt with cocoa powder when i was a kid. no sweetners. tastes so awesome!
    Oh no, we do this now And use sweeteers.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    A European visitor once told me that US food is like US movies: "all guns and boobs".
    This depends on where you live. We have some amazing restaurants in Charlotte that sell amazing food. Usually locally sourced meats and veggies. It's funny, in a lot of parts of town, there are NO chains.

We often favor an Italian place near us- they have perfect roast chicken (bone in- they give you the leg and thigh), short ribs, duck, hanger steak. They use olive oil. There is a Tapas place that is really great too- lamb dishes are often really great there. The greek place by work uses real olive oil in their dressing. Don't get me started on BBQ. The pull pork, collard greens in bacon fat with vinegar. There are food trucks with local pastured pork tacos on home made tortillas.

When I travel though, I realize how spoiled we are in the Carolinas. Even before I went primal.... I hated going home and going to shit like the "Olive Garden". To me, Italian is chicken stuffed with fennel sausage stuffing with a side of risotto.... not some shitty unlimited pasta coated in good.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    This depends on where you live. We have some amazing restaurants in Charlotte that sell amazing food. Usually locally sourced meats and veggies. It's funny, in a lot of parts of town, there are NO chains.

We often favor an Italian place near us- they have perfect roast chicken (bone in- they give you the leg and thigh), short ribs, duck, hanger steak. They use olive oil. There is a Tapas place that is really great too- lamb dishes are often really great there. The greek place by work uses real olive oil in their dressing. Don't get me started on BBQ. The pull pork, collard greens in bacon fat with vinegar. There are food trucks with local pastured pork tacos on home made tortillas.

When I travel though, I realize how spoiled we are in the Carolinas. Even before I went primal.... I hated going home and going to shit like the "Olive Garden". To me, Italian is chicken stuffed with fennel sausage stuffing with a side of risotto.... not some shitty unlimited pasta coated in good.
    I was watching some food or travel channel show on the food in Charlotte. I want to visit Charlotte just to eat! For someone living in chain restaurant hell it looked amazing. Jealous!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to my world. It is very difficult to find a restaurant that has food worthy of consumption anymore. Why should I pay more money to eat food that doesn't taste as good and isn't as good for me? I really have three weaknesses:

1.) Good sushi
    2.) Fogo de Chao, a Brazlian churrascaria that is quite possibly the most "paleo" restaurant possible. Even the rolls are made of tapioca flour, and their sides are mashed potatoes and baked bananas.
    3.) Moriarty's wings. Sure, they're deep fried in some vegetable oil for sure, but they are the greatest wings you'll ever eat and the size of turkey wings. This plus beer isn't a healthy meal, but it is worth it the whopping 4 or 5 times a year I get it.

This lifestyle is a huge plus because it's good for you, you save money and the food is almost always above restaurant quality. I see no reason to change.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    We only have one or two restaurants in town where I know they are using grass-fed beef and well-sourced ingredients. I'm kind of being a food snob, but I'll be damned if I pay anything for grain-fed. No one cooks well enough for me to do that. It's the oils and fats they cook in that cause me trouble now. It tastes gross and I feel awful the next day. If they have mussels, I'll usually order that for my meal. I'm learning how to make Indian and Thai food, but still enjoy eating out for that.

Most of all, cutting out processed stuff has made me a much better cook. A Julia Child cookbook taught me all of the basic techniques you need, so I just enjoy my own cooking more. Unless its a fantastic restaurant - ill shell out for that every once in a while.

The restaurant that uses grass-fed beef doesn't even mention it on their menu! I only know that because I saw their name on a list of customers at the farm where I buy my own sides of beef. I really think people would try their place out just for that, if they advertised it. Their food is so good.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    There's a paleo restaurant here in NYC... super expensive though. Cashew cream chicken, almond meal biscuits, root veggies mash topped with grassfed ground beef, grain-free granola bar, etc. The only thing worth buying for the $$$$$ is the chocolate bar with almond butter and puffed quinoa. The rest of the food is good but not good enough to pay so much. I would stock up on the chocolate bar but I would eat all of the bars in one day.

Over the last 10-15 years there is a trend of restaurants using local ingredients, usually very well and very simply. Seek them out on Yelp, you will be surprised with what you might find.
    I'm lucky enough to have many of these nearby. My favorite restaurant has a killer salmon bisque that's totally primal except for the flour used for thickening, which can be easily substituted. The recipe for it is available on the internet if you want to try making it at home--just google "Robin's Salmon Bisque". My 2nd favorite is a Mexican place that specializes in Mexico City-style cuisine. They cook with lard and are happy to sub grilled veggies for your rice, beans, or both. My favorite dish there is actually kind of embarrassing to order because it comes out on a big (and I do mean HUGE) oval plate like you would serve a thanksgiving turkey on. It is grilled freshly caught fish, plus carne asada, plus shrimp cooked in garlic butter or diabla-style, accompanied by grilled vegetables and/or rice/beans.

I do avoid fast food restaurants. But if you're in a pinch, Panera Bread has a hidden menu with some pretty primal stuff.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Yes; it is discouraging to spend so much money on crappy food, when I could for the same price buy the best cut of steak in the meat section.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    We had Korean BBQ for dinner. SO GOOD. Pile of beef, rice and 10 dishes of fermented veggies.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Putting together ideas from prior posts, it's pretty much:

* Steakhouse
    * Brazilian BBQ
    * Korean BBQ
    * Sashimi
    * Seafood Restaurant

The worst imaginable I guess would be Italian; noodles, bread, cheese, milk! For some reason business colleages always suggest this, "oh, lets go Italian", noooo!!!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast