Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I cook too good, eating out sucks now page 3

Kakakatie is offline Junior Member

Agree

Primal Fuel
    Cooking is always superior to cooking & selling groups. Most restaurants have little to no thought into joy in diversity of fresh whole food cooked for a purpose of being tasty & nutritious.. Having 24 hour grocery stores really helps avoid unsatisfying situations.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Even though he isn't primal, my primal cooking has changed his palate just like it does for the fully primal. Buwuahahahaha.
    How subversive. This gives me great hope and I will persevere.

To the original question, expensive restaurant would probably be good but is out of reach at present so, yes, I would far rather have my own cooking than go to a cheap restaurant. It's just not fun poring over the food trying to choose something that won't be "too bad" and knowing that you are spending far too much on.

I would actually rather eat something non-primal but delicious enough to justify both the money and my 20%. I recently had a rather good walnut toast with cream cheese and rhubarb conserve that fell into this category. And I ordered a side of bacon to go with it, Yum.

Even so, I came home thinking about how I could do this myself and probably feed us all for less than my one serving cost.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Ci, pretty soon your SO is going to be eating yoghurt with cocoa D:
    i used to eat plain yoghurt with cocoa powder when i was a kid. no sweetners. tastes so awesome!

i only go out to eat if it is something i cant cook at home or i am being sociable. or i end up feeling ripped off. i could get us a kg of decent fillet steak and cook it for the same price as a tinsy steak and salad. and it's not like cooking a steak medium rare is labour intensive.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    I used to depend on takeaways (Chinese / Indian / Thai) and other rubbish prepared foods from the local supermarkets.
    I was vaguely aware that they were not the best food I could get but I was sooo lazy (brain-fog due to abuse of sugar and wheat probably). Today, I cannot stand the smell of these takeways when we pass by one of them. They also look cheap and of dubious hygiene. I think the dominant smell is cheap frying oil (probably seed oil or some crap like that) which I became very sensitive to.

Cocnlusion: I don't eat out. BUT! A paleo restaurant had opened in Copenhagen a while back and there developed an interesting fresh produce market around in the same area. There is also a nice vegetarian restaurant nearby which emphasizes the quality of its ingredients. So I sort of know where to go if I have to eat out now.

In France (I go there once a year), things are quite different and you can find lots of local restaurant using proper ingredients from traditional cuisine (butter, duck fat, etc) but you must ask the locals because the tourists places are usually crappy. Go by the smell, ask the cook what he uses and don't hesitate to request some way of cooking. If they laugh at you, you know you will not even spend your money in whatever pseudo-restaurant you stepped in.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    C0jYhNJ.jpg

Can confirm my own butter chicken trumps take-out.

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    I absolutely enjoy eating out - but only of they can do it better... So within last year, if I had gone out at all, it has mostly been Michelin star quality food (even if the place doesn't really have Michelin star). These kind of places, at least here in Belgium, are mostly paleo/primal anyway - you never see much grains (apart from bread). A lot of them are even very paleo, like, sweetbreads served on 'porridge' made out of pig's trotters and beef bone reduction. Yum!
    I will probably never enjoy 'normal' restaurants again

seashells is offline Senior Member
    It seems the only advantage to eating out these days is someone else will do the dishes. I agree with all of the above.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Last February for my birthday I went to a French restaurant. Fine local wine, peppered steak, quail, mashed potatoes. I think we shared a dessert but I can't remember what it was. The trick is to make eating out a special occasion, either for the food or for the company. If it's for the food, pick a really good place and go very rarely so the $200 tab doesn't frighten you too much.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    There are lots of restaurant options that both taste amazing and can be "somewhat" Primal.

Sushi: Sushi is very hard to do at home well, especially if you want to try a variety. If you want to be strict, just get sashimi.

Korean: Korean is THE BOMB for Primal eaters. If you find the right place, you can get the meats un-marinated, just served with sea salt and sesame oil on the side. A good place will serve the meat with 10-15 small dishes of veggies, mostly fermented. Spicy Pork is the best choice of the marinated, it has the least sugar. (Sometimes very little sugar at all.) They also have lots of seafood dishes.

Steakhouses: This one is debatable. The steaks are almost always (though not always) grain fed and SUPER EXPENSIVE. I prefer getting a Prime steak for $15 and cooking it at home. BUT, there is something to the sear of a super hot oven. A really, really good restaurant steak is hard to beat.

Hip Local Chef Guy: Over the last 10-15 years there is a trend of restaurants using local ingredients, usually very well and very simply. Seek them out on Yelp, you will be surprised with what you might find.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    That's how my husband and I feel. It's a waste of money to go out when I can wipe up any meal we want to. There is no such thing that I cannot make, fast, slow, simple, festive... what have you. From my daughters custom birthday cakes to steaks on the fire... I can do it all at home.

Sometimes I feel tired of cooking every meal, every day, but restaurants are always a disappointment.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast