View Poll Results: How many carbs do you eat per day?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm VLC baby! 0 - 50gs carbs

32 22.70%
  • 50gs - 150gs: Mark's cut off point for normal folk.

86 60.99%
  • 150gs - 300gs.

19 13.48%
  • More than 300gs. (Are your sources still real foods?)

4 2.84%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: What's your carb consumption? page 8

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    He's telling the truth. The amount of bananas he can eat in one setting is rather startling... I'm sure he'd eat more than 9 bananas if we had more than 9 bananas in the house!

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    I eat "Warrior" style, and don't count carbs. I simply eat what my body craves.
    Simple.
    If I had to guess, I would say that I fall in the 50-150 range most often, sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on what I feel like having.
    I don't feel that purposely restricting any macro is healthy or sustainable over time. If I don't have many carbs on a given day, it's because I didn't have a craving for them, not because I'm trying to restrict them.
    The only restriction that I impose on myself is the restriction of processed foods.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I never looked at it before. No post arguing for it or against it that I have seen has ever contained a link to it, so I guess I assumed it was something you would have to buy the book to look at. So obviously I don't adhere to it. I only irregularly track my intake.
    You mean the real PB carb curve?
    The Primal Blueprint Diagrams | Mark's Daily Apple

I usually end up with at least 150-200g at the end of the day. Any higher and it means I ate some (gasp) non-primal things.

Also, I may have to try these broiled bananas. Sounds delicious and something I may regret having read, but totally worth it. I'm a fan of tostones and the soft sweet plantains already.

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    When I started Primal two months ago (initially a more Atkins/ketogenic diet and my first time ever going low carb) I just started with the classic 20g net carbs. Looking back, I didn't need to go that low but it helped subside the cravings.

A lot of things made me uncomfortable with Atkins, processed foods are allowed, nutritious vegetables are restricted, unlimited fat consumption is mindlessly encouraged and theorised as a stable, effecient source of fuel and safe replacement of our natural fuel, glucose. Same goes with ketones. I was at an extreme potassium/magnesium defeciency and had the mental acuity of a drug addict. If you're a short, 70 year old woman with extreme metabolic resistance then Atkins will work. Too extreme. I was also uncomfortable with the idea of grains encouraged being reintroduced into the diet during Phase 4.

Then I discovered Primal! Now I eat 70-100g of carbs a day from starches, veggies and some berries. I believe in Mark's theory of fat being an efficient fuel source but I also believe glucose is essential and fat cannot be used solely as natural fuel. Then again, some people just feel better on VLC.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    It seems like there's a human instinct to "pick teams" when it comes to carbohydrate and fat, akin to shirts/skins Democrat/Republican Xbox/Playstation etc.

My understanding: glucose fuel is well-suited for the brain and for running/lifting/jumping, and fat fuel is well-suited for sleeping, walking, typing, and everything else. My appetite and intake roughly correspond to those needs.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldergirl View Post
    He's telling the truth. The amount of bananas he can eat in one setting is rather startling... I'm sure he'd eat more than 9 bananas if we had more than 9 bananas in the house!
    Hahah, sounds like he eats sort of like me. I usually just cook or put together one thing and eat it till its gone. If we have a BBQ I may just fill my plate with ribs (even when several sides are available) and thats the meal. Or just fruit for a meal. But thats more rare.

Knifegill you still foraging dandelions and stuff? I'm still looking for a book so I don't grab the wrong berries on my nature walks

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    We all know that carb wars rage on this forum, but I'm interested to know what percentage of people actually adhere to Mark's carb curve.
    I'm guessing more people eat low carb than don't, but I bet it's not a huge majority.
    Interesting results so far. 103 to 24 using the 150 mark as the cutoff. I would be interested to see the numbers if that center section of the poll was split in two categories, 50-100 and 100-150. My guess is that there are a lot of people who don't need or choose to be VLC but still eat toward the lower end of that range. Many perhaps not by counting but just by default. Interesting post, YB.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Knifegill you still foraging dandelions and stuff? I'm still looking for a book so I don't grab the wrong berries on my nature walks
    Yes, but I just bought a forest and a prairie so now I just walk outside and eat.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

steven.kelly is online now Senior Member
    I've been primal for about 6 to 8 months and when I first started I was higher carb because I was making primal baked goods a lot of the time as I was still learning about the lifestyle so once or twice a I week I'd make pancakes and a 6 apple crumble and have fruit smoothies, bananas etc. So that would push it higher, but lately, without trying really, I've kept it pretty low and avoided baked foods and fruit. However, I'm starting to include sweet potatoes and fruit again because I'm built like a rake and don't have to lose weight so I figure why not? After reading the forums and good calories bad calories I was actually afraid to eat anything which raised insulin for the last little while as I was silly enough to think it would be unhealthy if I ate fruit and sweet potatoes etc. But I'll see how I go with a bit more carbs in and tweak it.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    My guess is that there are a lot of people who don't need or choose to be VLC but still eat toward the lower end of that range. Many perhaps not by counting but just by default.
    Agree.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast