Thread: Ketogenesis and it's effects on halting cancer and other musings page

wiggles92 is offline Junior Member

Ketogenesis and it's effects on halting cancer and other musings

Shop Now
    From browsing around I've got the impression ketogenesis may be a way to halt cancer in its tracks. Being in ketosis also seems to have numerous other benefits, particularly on brain function, but that's besides the point.

My question is- how significant are the effects of constant ketosis on cancer prevention? In particular, I've been wondering whether the elimination of virtually all carb/sugar/glucose (whatever you want to call it) will essentially stop any form of cancer from ever developing. My understanding of the research seems to suggest this could be the case.

In an even more extreme case, could one smoke say 5 cigarettes a day and not have to worry about the dramatic increases in lung/throat etc. cancer, as there would be no 'fuel' (sugars) for such diseases to develop? Obviously a smoker would experience the various short term irritations of inhaling carcinogenic materials. But perhaps the long term, and far more problematic cancer problems would cease to exist, as ketosis would effectively make you immune to the growth of cancerous cells.

On a side note there's a fella on youtube called 'Plant Positive' who attempts to debunk a lot of what Gary Taubes believes. I would be interested to see whether his criticisms of Taubes are credible, or whether he's a bias raw vegan nut with a confirmation bias (there seems to be an infuriating number of these)

Long complex double post, but I'm sure you guys are up for the challenge.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Cancer can indeed not grow without its fuel. Having enough oxygen is also important. Cancer develops when cells have an oxygen shortage of 60% or more. This was already proven in 1925 by Otto Warburg, he received the Nobel price for this, but of course it is now being ignored by these 'cancer curing' companies who say they're looking for the cure for cancer.

This is just a theory:
    Cancer may actually be one of the last surviving mechanisms of the body. When a person eats so much crap that oxygen cannot reach its cells CO2 develops. Cancer cells actually absorb CO2 so they get rid of it in the body. Just like when a person eats so much sugar that he eventually becomes diabetic, the cancer cells are the last mechanism to get the excess sugar out of the blood.

That said, eating healthy increases oxygen supply to your cells and stabilizes blood sugar. To provide extra oxygen to the cells (virtually everybody suffers from oxygen shortage these days) you can take H2O2.
    Billie trips balls

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    "One of the differences is that the traditional Inuit’s diet is very high in omega-3 fats while our diet is very high in omega-6 fats. Science has shown that the ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 should be as close to a ratio of 1:1 and certainly no more than 4:1. Inuits are about the only people to approach the 1:1 ratio, while we typically come in at 20:1, or upwards of 50:1 for real junk food lovers. A balanced omega-6 to omega-3 ratio promotes a balanced, non-inflammatory state in the body, while tilting the scale toward a higher level of omega-6 will promote an inflammatory ‘ and therefore diseased and degenerative ‘ state."

Source: Native Diet: Science Videos - Science News - ScienCentral

I see a lot of confirmation bias (on both sides) when it comes to ketosis. I have no answers.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Paleobird Guest
    Never heard of the guy on youtube but then I don't spend a lot of time hanging out watching youtube videos.

If you would like to know more about ketosis and cancer I highly recommend this book:Cancer as a Metabolic Disease: On the Origin, Management, and Prevention of Cancer: Thomas Seyfried: 9780470584927: Amazon.com: Books

Dr. Georgia Ede on her Blog called "Diagnosis: Diet" did a very good breakdown and synopsis of Dr Seyfried's book.

Yes, ketosis could probably help lower your odds of getting cancer even if you did something stupid like smoked. But why do that? Why not lower your odds as low as they can go? Lowering your odds=/=having super-human immunity.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggles92 View Post
    My question is- how significant are the effects of constant ketosis on cancer prevention?
    Probably almost nobody would get cancer in the absence of sugar, other white carbs and chemicals. So if you were almost 0% and then you went keto in addition maybe you'd be even closer to zero?

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    I feel that the fighting of cancer and trying to suppress cancer from developing is important, but what is more important is re-enforcing and encouraging normal healthy cell instruction (growth & death). For some reason, cancer cells have no instruction (DNA/RNA instruction?) to die. Normal cells do.

So I feel while proper nutrition, exercise, quality sleep are important tools in both fighting cancer and strengthening healthy cell function, let us not ignore chronic constant stress states, healthy socializing, emotions, spiritual growth and joy. Also, the other things, external things like environment pollutants, contamination, toxic poisons and chemicals, some of these things we do not have direct control over....but we can try out best only to a point where the trying our best doesn't make us even more stressed out or ultimately bat crazy.

For the record, I am a big proponent for the ketogenic diet (this video is pretty compelling) to fight cancer. But there has to be a point where the fighting stops and the re-building of the healthy and, of course, living out that life (after the fight, and after recovery) all can begin a new.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    A Neanderthal living 120,000 years ago had a cancer that is common today, according to a fossil study.
    A fossilised Neanderthal rib found in a shallow cave at Krapina, Croatia, shows signs of a bone tumour.
    The discovery is the oldest evidence yet of a tumour in the human fossil record, say US scientists.
    The research, published in the journal PLOS One, gives clues to the complex history of cancer in humans.
    BBC News - Neanderthal clues to cancer origins
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082