Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: marmite - yes or no? page

joapple is offline Member

marmite - yes or no?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Marmite is a British spread that tastes yummy (to me, and other right-thinking people). But is it primal, or even primal-friendly?

Is Chai Tea Primal and Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

Mark isn't sure but when I get the urge I mix it with butter and spread it on slices of cucumber mmmm

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating a jar a day? I'd guess no. The ingredients aren't all totally primal, but for how much of it you're likely having and the fact that you enjoy it says you should have some when the mood strikes and not worry about it.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by alisoncapricorn View Post
    That was funny.

Marmite

At first, I was going to write this one off. I mean, as an American I don’t know a whole lot about Marmite, but I was vaguely aware of it as a disgusting, overly processed brown paste that doubles as food. Since Marmite is pretty popular and I received a good number of questions about it and I trust my readers, I thought I’d take a closer look.

Marmite is made from brewer’s yeast, which is what it sounds like (the yeast used to make beer, Saccharomyces cerevisiae), plus salt and various vegetable and spice extracts. Brewer’s yeast contains naturally occurring B-vitamins, which make Marmite a pretty nutrient-dense food, but nowadays the naturally-occurring folate (folate was actually discovered through Marmite), riboflavin, and other B-vitamins are supplemented with fortified versions. They also add B12, which does not naturally occur in brewer’s yeast. And although it’s processed, that doesn’t necessarily make it harmful. You might make an argument for the addition of fortified synthetic vitamins being an issue - Chris Kresser certainly would in regards to folic acid. If that’s the case for you, too, you could always try making your own marmite.

And the UK version’s gluten-free; the Australian and New Zealand versions may not be.

Verdict: Primal limbo. It doesn’t seem all that offensive, but I’m not sure what you’re gonna eat it on if not bread and the synthetic vitamins are potentially troublesome. I guess you just had to be there (in Britain/Australia/New Zealand as a kid, that is) to get it.

joapple is offline Member
    Lol :-) Ta

it was on that page !!
    I couldn't and paste the relevant bit cos I'm a technophobe ...

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joapple View Post
    Marmite is a British spread that tastes yummy (to me, and other right-thinking people). But is it primal, or even primal-friendly?
    Our family doesn't have a problem with it, but since we cut out bread/crackers we basically never eat it anymore (since it's a flavour vehicle to help make wheat products palatable).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Huck it in some soup!

M.

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Oh my good lord I have to tell a story... I went to see Jesus Christ Superstar at the Perth Arena last weekend. I went with a group of friends and went to a chinese restaurant before hand. (my very infrequent 20%)

Someone had told me to try the Marmite chicken - apparently this restaurant is famous for it - now I'm a kiwi like the best of them and can only imagine vegemite with crackers, vogels toast and spread on celery and literally thought "ooh yuck, marmite chicken".

I ordered a primal meal but one of the other girls ordered the Marmite Chicken. Oh my God it was to DIE for.

Imagine chicken coated in a light crispy batter and deep fried, then a sticky marmite sauce put over the top and stirred through so the batter was crispy yet sticky. I'm pretty sure the sauce had a bit of honey with the marmite. obviously not something you would eat everyday - or alot of - but geez I enjoyed it!!

Sorry - had to share!! LOL

BigChris is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    but I’m not sure what you’re gonna eat it on if not bread
    that's my problem.. was basically weaned on the stuff (English Mom) and love it ... but without nice hot fresh bread to spread it on .. meee kinda pointless
    04/23/2012 Initial Weight : 445 lbs
    06/27/2012 Current weight : 403 lbs
    07/29/2014 Goal weight : 200 lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast