Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gorbags Corner; not for the faint-hearted... page 3

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post
    Is fartslek when you accidentally let out little toots while clenching your butt cheeks as you walk quickly to the bathroom? There is a guy at my office who is really good at those.
    LOL, but not a bad try! It's just playing with speed - short sprints or burst depending on how you feel... Training of pure joy so to say...

What is Fartlek Training?

Sometimes a work-out goes a bit different than planned! A program for me is a bit like the notes of a musician; I very often go beyond and improvise some other stuff! Yesterday had a very good workout in the gym, started out easy and attacking the weights with less and less rest periods between sets and pyramiding up the loads at the same time. Pre-workout I ate some raisins and it seems that it gave my plenty of energy. My weight has dropped a little, down to 216 and the body composition seem to improve, so I am pretty happy with what I am doing right now.

Yesterday I had planned to this program:

Hanging leg raises 3 X 25
    Weighted decline sit-ups 4 X 15
    Reverse machine hack lift 4 X 12 in superset with stiff legged good morning 4 X 15
    Machine hack-lift 4 X (12/12/12/12) = 4 giant-set of 48 reps
    Bent-over “Gorbag row” 5 X 10
    Decline bench press 5 X 10/8/8/6/6 in superset with Pull-down to front 5 X 12 - 15
    Barbell straight arm pullover 4 X 15 in superset with flat dumbbell flies 4 X 12
    Incline dumbbell press 5 X 15 in superset with pull-downs w/stiff arms 5 X (10/8/8/8) = 4 giant-set of 34 reps.
    Heel raises on leg press-machine 4 X (15/12/10/8) = 4 giant-set of 45 reps.

But I changed it somehow so it turned out like this instead:

Hanging leg raises 3 X 18/20/20
    Weighted decline sit-ups 4 X 15
    Reverse machine hack lift 4 X 12 in superset with weighted hyper extensions 4 X 15
    Machine hack-lift 4 X (12/12/12/12) = 4 giant-set of 48 reps
    Bent-over “Gorbag row” 5 X 10 in superset with flat dumbbell flies 4 X 12
    Decline bench press 5 X 10/8/6/6/6 in superset with Pull-down to front 5 X 15
    Barbell straight arm pullover 4 X 20 in superset with row machine 4 X 15
    Leg extension 7 X 20( 3 set one-legged and 4 set with both legs)
    Thigh curl 4 X 15 in superset with heel raises on leg press-machine 4 X (20/15/12/10) = 4 giant-set of 57 reps.
    Incline dumbbell press 5 X 12 - 15 in superset with pull-downs w/stiff arms 5 X (10/8/8/8) = 4 giant-set of 34 reps.
    Last edited by Gorbag; 06-27-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Weight training instead of golf!

I do not have much sympathy for those people that consider weight training as a necessary evil only, and using short abbreviated routines as an excuse for doing as little as possible and then complaining about not progressing or getting hurt etc., etc…! Evil rumors tells that HIT and other abbreviated training routines were invented by gym owners in urgency to shuttle clients fast in and out of their gyms to make machines available for more clients, and to reduce the wear and tear on the expensive equipment’s; so HIT is a capitalistic invention obviously! And personal trainers also seem to love very short routines; 30 minutes per session and two days a week, anything more is “overtraining” so they tell their clients – but they charge their normal fee anyway…

For me busting my ass of in the gym is an excellent stress reducer and I prefer it to playing Golf or Tennis or other pastime stuff. I do not expect to grow much muscle anymore, but I work hard on conditioning what I have by moving thousands of thousands of pounds of weights per hour. And Arnold was kind of right; pumping the muscles is almost as good as sex, blasting, bombing and stretching them in all kind of weird movements, makes me high on endorphins and adrenaline, almost immortal like nothing can hurt me at all! Maybe this is the closest we can come to what ancient warriors felt on the battlefield; a feeling of immortality in the midst of deadly fighting! According to the ancient Greeks; dying in the battle was the best way to leave the world stage, so the soul could leave the body in a “dry” state, and the Norse Vikings thought much of the same.

And when leaving the gym I feel rejuvenated, another time I survived the battle against the weights and myself in the gym. I am not training for collecting strength numbers, pushing vanity issues or even health! OK, maybe to a certain degree – but my main motivation is to survive the battle against barbells, dumbbells, machines and my own body, and to feel good under and after the battle!

And it also feel great heading for the table of thousands of delicious calories waiting for me after the victory…

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    personal trainers also seem to love very short routines; 30 minutes per session and two days a week, anything more is “overtraining” so they tell their clients – but they charge their normal fee anyway…
    I was thinking something similar the other day. I was watching my little niece running up and down the hallway, for several hours. When we were kids there was no such thing as overtraining: there was just playing til you fell over
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I was thinking something similar the other day. I was watching my little niece running up and down the hallway, for several hours. When we were kids there was no such thing as overtraining: there was just playing til you fell over
    No such things like overtraining YogaBare, unless you are a top athlete pushing the limits of what the human body can possible endure, and even then it is very rare to overtrain! What people usually mean by “overtraining” is rather “under-recovery” and this is not due to excessive training per se, but failing on elementary principles of recuperation; such as getting enough carbs, micronutrients (vitamin B), sodium and enough water immediately post workout. Failing on the basic’s and you’ll pay for it, and excessive dieting and hard training at the same time is the usual reason why people under-recover and dig themselves into the ground…

A guy that I very much respect, Dave Tate, posted an article today on T-Nation about his personal battle in the weight room! It's uplifting to see that some older hardcore lifters refuse to take up golf or tennis though:

T NATION | Elite Wisdom

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    That's brilliant Gorbag - totally resonates with me. Today I did two workouts

Do you have any tips on how best to recover from a workout?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Gorbag;1217399]Sitting in my bunker here behind my wall! Sundays are very nice, my office assistants are not working today, so peace and quiet everywhere! I am not practicing much judo anymore, but it still happens that I watch a few videos from this

Waiting for the worms, the worms to come?

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    That's brilliant Gorbag - totally resonates with me. Today I did two workouts

Do you have any tips on how best to recover from a workout?
    Hi, YogaBare; yes do the basic's; Get fast acting carbs (glucose!, not sucrose or fructose), sodium, enough liquids, and B-vitamins within the first hour of your workout and one hour after, before going over to starches. B-vitamins work to metabolize the glucose and is very, very important in my experience. I have found from my own “research” that B-vitamins are the only vitamins that I really need to supplement, but they do not work alone by themselves, you must get enough fast acting carbs to recover well! (Personally I use a glucosesyrup with B-complex, and also brewers yeast post-workout). Some people cannot assimilate or get enough vitamin B, since you need to refill them throughout the day when being very active and those people could inject B-complex once or twice a week.

Of course you also need enough sleep and as little stress as possible, but if you get the basics above, everything will become much easier!

This week I have done six workouts in the gym, averaging around 60- 70 set and two hours per session. I have also done seven cardio sessions around one hour in the early morning. And I have no problems by getting enough recovery, and I feel close to fantastic by doing what I am doing! But I also know very well the feeling of not getting enough recovery, but for me it works very well right now…
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

Quote Originally Posted by Sol blackcat View Post
    Waiting for the worms, the worms to come?
    Yeah, good ol' Pink Floyd! I prefer the pre-Wall period though:

Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Yeah, good ol' Pink Floyd! I prefer the pre-Wall period though:

Yep, like the old stuff. Roger waters for me, pros and cons, radio kaos, ect. Have you tried him?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast