Thread: Bone broth and whole roots page

Richard_VA is offline Junior Member

Bone broth and whole roots

Shop Now
    Having finally gotten the hang of making bone broth (I soak the cow hooves, knuckles and bones in cold water for 3 hours, and boil them for a couple of minutes before putting them in the pot), I recently turned my attention to improving its nutritional value. I am currently adding sliced up ginger and turmeric roots, as well as whole onion and garlic. The taste is phenomenal, and I think it is even healthier than it was.

However, I have a couple of questions. First, is there any downside to adding whole roots? I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be healthy, but I just wonder if simmering might destroy some of the nutritional value.

Also, I am looking at diversifying, and adding some of those roots that I would otherwise never eat (I wouldn't add them all at once, but just rotate them into my eternal kettle). Are there any roots that I would find at a whole foods or Mom's that I should be wary of having too much of (I think I have seen Ginseng, Ginko Biloba(?), and Maca root, in addition to the normal ones, but there were others that I have never heard of)?

I have at least a dozen cups of bone broth a day (diluted to a soup-like consistency), if that makes any difference. It has made a world of difference in my overall health, and I don't want to undo all of that by accidentally overdosing on some root that I have never heard of.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I can't provide any real knowledge but I typically keep the stock very simple--just vinegar, celery, and bay leaf. After it's done and cooled I'll make a proper vegetable and herb soup. The flavor is definitely better after a day so I make a pot in advance and heat up 1 bowl at a time.

Minerals are durable, but the other plant compounds seem to be delicate and vanish with time/heat/light/etc. so I'd probably peel and grate the roots later as part of the soup recipe. Wikipedia will often discuss the toxicity threshold of specific foods.
    36//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Learn More
    Dandelion root. Win.
    The remainder is an unjustifiable, egotistical power struggle
    At the expense of the American dream, American dream
    Of the American

We don`t give a damn about your world
    With all your global profits
    And all your jeweled pearls
    We don`t give a damn about your world