Thread: Building muscle and hitting macros page

Shanster is offline Senior Member

Building muscle and hitting macros

Primal Fuel
    Hey - hoping some of the figure people can assist please? I would like to lean out a little more and had been looking at/reading Pauline Nordin and Nate Miyaki ... I keep hearing hitting your macros is important.

How does one do that... I am like macro-slow or something and don't know how to plan meals to hit certain numbers. Can anyone walk me through how they do this please?

Also - how do you know what a good wieght/size is even?? I have been plateau'd for a while... I have good arm/chest definition, I can see quad definition... I'm 5'7", 14%BF, 158lbs, size 8... when I look on other sites of fitness competitors, it seems the women weigh less than me and I'm just curious - this is new to me...

I hold fat in my abs/hips/butt, tho I know I look athletic .... I am truly glad to be where I am, I do not feel I am looking to be thinner as I know I need food to build muscle - I'm glad to have mass and don't fear being bulky however I have never been at this place before or been this lean or this fit. I don't know what I am capable of and want to see... Would just like to experiment a bit and see what I can accomplish. I love the look of MUSCLE and strong women.

Thanks! Shanster
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I don't think hitting macros is important in the least. To build muscle you need sufficient protein and energy. In an energy surplus you don't need nearly as much protein as you do when you are in an energy deficient state. When cutting you should increase/keep your protein high and reduce other energy sources as the protein and physical exertion helps you retail lean mass while burning fat.

To accomplish this I simply eat more and am very liberal with my additional fats on lift days and dial it back a notch on my non-lift days. EZ-PZ

But, maybe you shouldn't take my advice.... I'm male 5' 9" and 160lbs. Seriously if your 14% bodyfat your likely to be more muscular than me! I dunno what my actual BF% is, but I doubt its bellow that. That's extremely low for a woman.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-06-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I don't think hitting macros is important in the least. To build muscle you need sufficient protein and energy. In an energy surplus you don't need nearly as much protein as you do when you are in an energy deficient state. When cutting you should increase/keep your protein high and reduce other energy sources as the protein and physical exertion helps you retail lean mass while burning fat.

To accomplish this I simply eat more and am very liberal with my additional fats on lift days and dial it back a notch on my non-lift days. EZ-PZ

But, maybe you shouldn't take my advice.... I'm male 5' 9" and 160lbs. Seriously if your 14% bodyfat your likely to be more muscular than me! I dunno what my actual BF% is, but I doubt its bellow that. That's extremely low for a woman.
    this is the problem with sites like this when people dont have pics or stats. Its always hard to take advise on bulking and cutting from someone who isnt more bulked or cut than the OP. At least you throw it out there and let people know.

Koobs is offline Member
    Since starting this diet I am having trouble gaining weight too. By "hitting your macros", they simply mean eat enough. If I were you I'd just eat as much as you possibly can. I had to turn to smoothies so I could take in a couple extra thousand calories a day. It seems to be working so far. I was stuck at 170 for a year, I am at 175 now two weeks after starting the smoothies. You might put on a little fat while doing this, but once you've gained the muscle you were looking for just go back to eating the way you usually do and it will melt right back off.

fkjr2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post

really - I always learned to cycle carbs and fats depending in lift days - heavy lifts go easy on fats and higher on carbs and rest days the opposite - check out leangains.com