Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst/Best foods if primal choices aren't available? page

astromom is offline Member

Worst/Best foods if primal choices aren't available?

Primal Fuel
    I'm going to be living in a hotel for a month in rural New Mexico for work. I'll be working long hours, typically 12-hour days, 7days a week. It is a work opportunity of a life time - a scientific balloon flight. My plan is to stay as Primal as I can with only a dorm fridge and a microwave, a reportedly poor and minimal grocery and two mexican restaurants in town, a more typical grocery an hour away. I plan to pack nuts, dried fruit, canned salmon, larabars, not sure what else. My question is how can I eat best within these limitations? What foods should I take with me? What should I try to buy on the drive from the airport that will keep well in a dorm fridge? What are the "least bad" and "worst" non-primal foods for when I'm faced with very limited choices? I haven't had any success with fasting so far. How bad are rice and beans? I run because I love to and I expect to be maintaining my weight not trying to lose any while I'm there, so my carbs don't have to stay too low. I don't think I'll have time to make things like jerky or dehydrated food between now and then - I will be working long hours and spending what free time I have with my kids.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    This is not exactly being put on the dark side of the moon. You can likely eat almost exactly what you eat now. You have a fridge, a microwave and the hot plate that you bring with you. I would look at what you eat now and think about how to keep eating it, no disruption.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

astromom is offline Member
    I've never had a hot plate, so I don't know anything about them. Where do I get one? What do I need to cook on one - pots and pans? Is it something I can put in a suitcase on an airplane flight? I usually eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and have been told that the available produce in the town is not particularly edible.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by astromom View Post
    the available produce in the town is not particularly edible.
    Is there a scurvy epidemic there?
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    your packing good foods, and rice and beans are certainly better options than doughnuts.

you may find that the nearby stores are limited, but still offering good primal options. basically, you want to food that is as close to it's natural state as possible; that will probably be easier than you might think. you won't be able to stay 100% primal, probably, but close is still way better than eating crap.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    My boyfriend travels for a living, too. He will buy a bag of quinoa to microwave, some sandwich meat and cheeses, etc. He gets the frozen veggies such as peas and broccoli to microwave. He also has this microwave egg poacher thing, so he buys a dozen eggs. I know they also make microwave bacon cookers, as well as rice steamers, veggie steamers, etc. But really, all you need to do to cook quinoa is fill a bowl with water and quinoa, hah.

You can be as primal as you want with just a microwave and fridge. Although I would call ahead to make sure the hotel has one, my boyfriend has encountered not having a fridge and/or microwave, and it's a pain in the ass after a long day of travel to try and figure out what to buy to eat.

Mexican food is also pretty good. You can usually order taco salads or burrito salads. I will usually order burrito salads without beans (they give me a weird look usually) but I ask for rice in it instead. You could always just order regular tacos on corn tortialls, or just order the tacos and dump the fillings out, hah.

You might be in a small town without real grocery store, but the locals gotta eat, too. They get their goods locally. No way they all drive 1 hour to the grocery store. Ask the locals.

Edit: As for bringing hotplates, etc. in the suitcase. A hot plate doesn't work much differently than a hair dryer; it works off of plugged in electricity, and I'd say about half the checked luggage has some sort of plugged in heating device like a hair dryer. Hotplate doesn't seem different to me. You could put whatever you want in the checked luggage, provided it's not a prohibited item. My boyfriend packs forks, knives, sponge, dish soap, and a big tupperware that he uses to cook and eat out of. Here is a list of prohibited items on checked luggage:

Prohibited Items | Transportation Security Administration
    Last edited by kathleen; 06-06-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

avoid the wheat and the veggie and seed oils. those are the big ones.

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Consider that the people telling you this are probably not primal/paleo. A dearth of food, to them, might mean "omg there is no McD's for 40 miles and the store only sells mexican meats and fresh tortillas, there isn't a Dorito or Lil Debbie or 100 Calorie Pack in sight!" :P You might find tons of primal friendly foods in local rural stores.

I love Mexican food, so hearing there are 2 options for that in easy distance would make me a very happy camper indeed.

Of course, beans and rice don't make me sick or negatively impact my body. You could ask what kind of oil they cook with.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I don't see a problem, here.

Buy an inexpensive food dehydrator and make a large quantity of beef jerky ahead of time. You can also make lots of dried fruit as well. Storebought dried fruit often contains preservatives and is bulked with sugar or canola/sunflower oil. Read carefully.

Eggs should be readily available. Hard boiled eggs are always great.

Dried unsweetened coconut is a good option as well.

I'd generally avoid nuts due to unsaturates, but best options for nuts are macadamias, cashews and hazelnuts.

Don't forget cheese. Cheese is a staple in Mexico, and I'm sure you can find ample amounts of quality cheeses down there.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    Consider that the people telling you this are probably not primal/paleo. A dearth of food, to them, might mean "omg there is no McD's for 40 miles and the store only sells mexican meats and fresh tortillas, there isn't a Dorito or Lil Debbie or 100 Calorie Pack in sight!" :P You might find tons of primal friendly foods in local rural stores.

I love Mexican food, so hearing there are 2 options for that in easy distance would make me a very happy camper indeed.

Of course, beans and rice don't make me sick or negatively impact my body. You could ask what kind of oil they cook with.
    OMG. Fresh tortillas!

Let's get one thing straight, here: masa harina is excellent. Homemade tortillas are very clean and easily digestible. Nixtamalization strips the PUFA, makes the niacin bioavailable and when digested, the starch does not pass into the bloodstream like, say, cornstarch does. It is probably safer than white rice, which is generally considered to be very safe. I'd be going nuts on fresh made tortillas down there provided they are made with nixtamalized corn flour (masa harina). And since it's Mexico, you shouldn't have to worry about GMO's.

Seriously, stay away from unsaturated oils, wheat flour and the obvious processed foods. All that stuff is far less available in Mexico, anyway. It'll probably be easier to be primal in Mexico than the US!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast