Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Worst/Best foods if primal choices aren't available? page 4

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Oh wow they put soybean oil in their rice? Ughh. Why? That's just an unnecessary expense!
    I was surprised/irritated to learn that, too. I think it's so they can leave it sitting out all day without it clumping together, kinda like how you put olive oil on pasta (speaking of pasta, Olive Garden has soybean oil in just about everything as well).
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    I was surprised/irritated to learn that, too. I think it's so they can leave it sitting out all day without it clumping together, kinda like how you put olive oil on pasta (speaking of pasta, Olive Garden has soybean oil in just about everything as well).
    I know. I've checked. I call it Soy Garden. It's more appropriate. All those places are pretty awful: Olive Garden, Chili's, Applebee's, Red Lobster...ugh.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    My rule of thumb: if an eatery has more than three locations, I won't eat there. I'd rather eat at the greasiest spoon on Route 66 than at a chain restaurant.

Possible exceptions: If Mom 'n' Pop had more than two kids who went into the restaurant biz on their own, but used the family name, I'd probably go there. I won't even bother trying one of Emeril's restaurants even though he has three in this city simply because he's become a bit of a franchise.

IMO, once it's a franchise, or worse, traded on the stock exchange, it's not a restaurant. It's simply a marketing revamping of McCrap.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The nearest supermarket is often the safest and most reliable source of real food.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I know. I've checked. I call it Soy Garden. It's more appropriate. All those places are pretty awful: Olive Garden, Chili's, Applebee's, Red Lobster...ugh.
    Yeah, they hide the soybean oil too. Applebee's US food allergen information lists hardly any soy, but the Canadian version lists it in almost everything. My guess is it's the "fryer oil," which is also the case with Chipotle and Qdoba. It's gotten to the point where if I'm hungry, and I need food quickly, I will either not eat, or go to a grocery store and buy fruit. Ugh. I also despise when people change dinner plans, because I usually have a meal picked out ahead of time.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

F/23/5'9"

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Indeed, soybean oil is exempted from the allergen list rules.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Well, if the OP is living there for only a month and isn't allergic to soy, the amount of soybean oil she'd eat probably isn't enough to cause any lasting harm. I think if I had a chance for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity like that I'd just go ahead and eat at Carl's Jr. or whatever they have every day and focus my attention on the things that truly matter during this month.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

astromom is offline Member
    I can't eat at Carl's Jr or any other fast food - not any in the town, which I agree is a good thing. Fred's Restaurant and Lounge is reportedly the best place in town (of two!) One reason I was asking about foods to keep in my room is that I will likely be working long hours and/or strange shifts, so Fred's may not be open when I'm looking for food. I'll have to think about the hot plate - that would make things much easier, but I want to be careful about being thrown out of the only motel in town (super 8) for it! Now with these ideas I'll definitely take a knife and cutting board, microwaveable dishes (including bowl for microwaving frozen veggies), fork & spoon, and some way to cook eggs (either hot plate or microwave cooker), and quinoa. I'll try and enjoy the restaurants when I can, eating as primal as I can. I think these ideas will keep me from going back to eating Lean Cuisine's, which was one of my fears. I feel better about this trip now! Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by astromom View Post
    I can't eat at Carl's Jr or any other fast food - not any in the town, which I agree is a good thing. Fred's Restaurant and Lounge is reportedly the best place in town (of two!) One reason I was asking about foods to keep in my room is that I will likely be working long hours and/or strange shifts, so Fred's may not be open when I'm looking for food. I'll have to think about the hot plate - that would make things much easier, but I want to be careful about being thrown out of the only motel in town (super 8) for it! Now with these ideas I'll definitely take a knife and cutting board, microwaveable dishes (including bowl for microwaving frozen veggies), fork & spoon, and some way to cook eggs (either hot plate or microwave cooker), and quinoa. I'll try and enjoy the restaurants when I can, eating as primal as I can. I think these ideas will keep me from going back to eating Lean Cuisine's, which was one of my fears. I feel better about this trip now! Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
    You're welcome for the suggestion. Here is the microwave egg poacher my boyfriend has:
    Amazon.com: Nordic Ware Microwave 2 Cavity Egg Poacher: Kitchen & Dining

Very cheap and affordable; cooks 2 eggs in like 45 seconds.

The brand, NordicWare, has many more microwave cookers to choose from, including a bacon one!

F/23/5'9"

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    Yeah, they hide the soybean oil too. Applebee's US food allergen information lists hardly any soy, but the Canadian version lists it in almost everything. My guess is it's the "fryer oil," which is also the case with Chipotle and Qdoba. It's gotten to the point where if I'm hungry, and I need food quickly, I will either not eat, or go to a grocery store and buy fruit. Ugh. I also despise when people change dinner plans, because I usually have a meal picked out ahead of time.
    Highly refined soybean oil is not considered an allergen - because it is so highly refined - so they can get away with not listing it. Maybe in Canada that isn't the case. It's not the fryers that is the issue. It is easy to stay away from deep fried foods. The problem is the soybean oil is in the marinades, dressings and they use it to coat the grill grates and griddles so they're nonstick. Basically everything that's grilled, sauteed, deep fried and seared has it on it. Unless you're getting something braised or roasted that wasn't marinated first, it's probably contaminated.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast