Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst/Best foods if primal choices aren't available? page 2

NATLES is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    If you have time, you might consider an electric skillet so you could make bacon and eggs and everything else really. I think it would be worth a shot to call the hotel and ask if they could accommodate you with extra refrigerator space. Tell them you are on a special diet that you have to be on and see what they can do. You never know, lots of places will accommodate you if you ask, even if they've never done it before. Good luck and have fun!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    When I'm going to be gone for a week or more, I travel with a Japanese rice cooker similar to this one. Amazon.com: Zojirushi NS-LAC05XA Micom 3-Cup Rice Cooker and Warmer: Kitchen & Dining. It can cook up any sort of cut up meat and vegetables in an hour. Prep in the morning or the evening before (you need a knife and a small cutting board), pop the cooking vessel in when you get back to the room and hit the button. Or even use for rice, potatoes, or boiled eggs.

It may seem like a lot of money to pay, but it's practically a lifetime investment. I am still using the previous model several times a week, and after 25 years, it is still going strong.

LOL, Choco. New Mexico.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 06-06-2013 at 10:28 AM.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Seriously, stay away from unsaturated oils, wheat flour and the obvious processed foods. All that stuff is far less available in Mexico, anyway. It'll probably be easier to be primal in Mexico than the US!
    He's going to New Mexico, though. That is in the U.S.

M.

astromom is offline Member
    To clarify - this is rural NEW Mexico, not Mexico.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Nevermind.
    Last edited by aliphian; 06-06-2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: The same thing I posted was posted 1,000 more times. Before I posted it. Ya, I'm pretty clever.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    It's New Mexico and it's rural and SAD people are telling you there's nothing to eat. Imo it sounds like lingua in fresh tortilla with salsa is a highly possible thing to encounter. xD

There's tons of authentic and fresh local mexican food here in So California, I don't think you'll be any worse off in rural NM. The more south you go, the more authentic the food becomes. Trust me on this. :P

Besides, 'm sure there are plenty of places to get fried eggs and meats, or steak. Honestly I just think you're making this out to be harder than it is.

What is a few meals fried in canola oil compared to the opportunity of a lifetime? *shrug*

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    LOL, Choco. New Mexico.
    DAMN IT!

OK, fine. That being said, you STILL should be able to find fresh tortillas down there!!! If I were living in New Mexico for lunch I'd be eating Mexican food every day. Fresh masa harina tortillas, grilled steak and queso fresco with homemade pico de gallo. EVERY. DAMN. DAY. That is darn good food, and darn good for you.

I'm on the fence about beans. Even when soaked and rinsed, they still produce a lot of gas. They're just not an easily digestible food. I don't think they're bad like wheat flour, soy and PUFA oils, but I avoid them anyway. I'm not really missing much so I see no reason to eat them.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    DAMN IT!

OK, fine. That being said, you STILL should be able to find fresh tortillas down there!!! If I were living in New Mexico for lunch I'd be eating Mexican food every day. Fresh masa harina tortillas, grilled steak and queso fresco with homemade pico de gallo. EVERY. DAMN. DAY. That is darn good food, and darn good for you.

I'm on the fence about beans. Even when soaked and rinsed, they still produce a lot of gas. They're just not an easily digestible food. I don't think they're bad like wheat flour, soy and PUFA oils, but I avoid them anyway. I'm not really missing much so I see no reason to eat them.
    hell yes. im actually jealous. i want to go to rural NM now. :P

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I put potatoes, sweet or white, wrapped in paper towels in the microwave. Best way to make them, in my opinion.

I cut up vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli, beets, carrots, squash, etc and put them in a ceramic bowl with a small amount of water. I put another ceramic bowl inverted on top and put it in the microwave. This is how I make vegetables daily.

I will have bed of veggies and/or potatoes in my bowl with a pile of chopped up meat on top and salsa for seasoning, and sometimes butter or olive oil as well. I eat this every day for breakfast and lunch. I suppose you can look for rotisserie chickens since you have no oven for roasting, or perhaps there are other sources of cooked meat that you can purchase and keep in the fridge. Canned seafood and meats, for example. You can cook seafood in the microwave easily, but I think other kinds of meat get a little rubbery. I haven't tried ground beef. That might be okay in the microwave.

I used to have an electric one-burner "hot plate." It was basically a one-burner electric stove. It was great. Just that and a mini-fridge, which served as my stove-top and counter, in a tiny garage apartment was plenty to cook up all kinds of stuff.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I agree. Mexican food is about the most primal you can get---if it's authentic. Stear clear of Taco Bell and Chipotle, they fry their "food" in soybean oil. But if you're lucky enough to be in a town rural and remote enough to not have fast food chains, you'll highly likely get the real, authentic Mexican food.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast