Thread: New & looking/begging for some advice.. page

joyfulsong21 is offline Junior Member

New & looking/begging for some advice..

Primal Fuel
    Greetings MDA people! Although I'm brand new to the forums (lurker on Mark's site for a while though), I've been mostly primal for a couple years. I hadn't always stuck with it, but during 2013 I've been much more consistent, starting with a Whole30 in February/March, & continuing on since then with only occasional deviations. I would THINK that I'm pretty well fat-adapted, as I've been around 80-ish g carbs most days, with about 60-70% calories from fat (I occasionally use Calorie Count to check).
    Having said that, my question/issue is this:
    Yesterday after work I did a workout at a SLIGHTLY higher intensity level than usual (I'm pretty fit) in around 75-deg weather (not as hot as it has been here, but not cool either), and throughout the workout felt great. I didn't eat breakfast (which is normal for me) other than my coffee w/ coconut milk, had eaten a normal-sized lunch (spinach w/ chicken, carrots, celery, a little avocado, and a decent amount of olive oil) around 1pm. Then I ate (which is unusual for me) a large apple w/ a little cashew butter spread on it around 4pm. I drank plenty of water throughout the day, as usual. Then I worked out at 6pm. Like I said, a slightly more intense than usual workout, done outside, but nothing that I haven't done before, and throughout it I felt great.
    At the end though, I walked back into the building & all of a sudden experienced loss of vision, like there was a super bright light shining in my eyes, and I felt I needed to sit down ASAP. I did that, and noticed I felt cold, and incredibly tired, like I needed to sleep right away. I knew something wasn't right, so I decided to go get some water. As I walked to the water fountain, the hallway started spinning and I must have blacked out (but didn't fall down, just grabbed the wall and held it for some time till I could sit down). Someone brought me a cold wet towel to put on the back of my neck while I sat there, and I started to feel better. I decided to get a gatorade from the machine thinking maybe my electrolytes were really low, so someone brought me my bag & I got my money out, and as I rose to put the $ in the machine, I blacked out again. When I realized it, I was sitting on the floor, money having dropped as well. Someone helped me get the drink out, and I immediately drank it & then slowly started feeling better.
    Nothing like this has ever happened to me before, and it's probably nothing crazy, I just wanted some Primal people's opinions on the potential that my blood sugar was going haywire... Like I said, I don't usually eat that close to a workout, & don't usually eat apples (which I know have a lot of carbs/sugar), & all medical advice I can find suggests these symptoms are potentially blood sugar related, but I can't figure out why my blood sugar would be LOW having eaten an apple. I plan to go to the Dr. just because I'm a little freaked out by the whole thing, but I'm sure their perspective will be CW-based, so I'm hoping somebody out there has some ideas.
    Sorry for being so wordy, I was trying to get all the info in there!! Any help is greatly appreciated!!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    a trip to the doctor is probably a good idea, but i would be as detailed as possible with your description and just be aware that the advice may be rooted in CW unless it's a primal doc or someone similar.

this used to happen to me from time to time, and my chiro and i worked together to learn that it is likely something called (i'm going to butcher this) orthostatic hypertension. basically, it's a sudden drop in blood pressure because upon standing because all your blood is pooling in your lower extremities. it happened to me a few times after i had lost a decent amount of weight and was starting to add intensity to my workouts. eventually, it went away, and being more aware of it helped me prevent it by getting up slowly or doing something to regulate blood flow before dizziness would occur. you seem to have all the same symptoms, so you may want to look it up and check out some prevention and treatment options (behavioral, not medical, obviously)

Interesting, I will definitely look into that primalrob! Are those the only behavioral changes you made (being more careful to rise slowly)? How did you try to "regulate blood flow before dizziness would occur" ?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joyfulsong21 View Post
    Interesting, I will definitely look into that primalrob! Are those the only behavioral changes you made (being more careful to rise slowly)? How did you try to "regulate blood flow before dizziness would occur" ?
    mmmmmm...it's been a few years, but i think that was all i really did.

and the blood flow thing, i just sort of thought about it...if that makes sense. i knew i was at risk to be dizzy, so i found my center/focus, maybe moved my upper body a little more, and tried to be more active or deliberate in my movements before getting up so my blood wouldn't be pooling as much. that's what worked for me, though; you've got to figure out what you're dealing with and what will work for you. best of luck.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Orthostatic hypotension can be an issue in itself, or it could be caused by something else. You could have been dehydrated. You could have had a Vasovagal reaction. It could have been either hypoglycemia or reactive hypoglycemia. An apple, even a large one, isn't as loaded with sugar as you might think. It could be just enough sugar to cause reactive hypoglycemia. You could have had a cardiac event also.
    The moral of my story is. There are so many things it could be, even beyond what I listed, that you really should see a Doctor.

Gwynnda is offline Member
    @joyfulsongs21, something similar happened to me not to the severity that it happened to you. I was very week, light headed and very dizzy like a bad case of vertigo and I would be sick to my stomach within minuets of working out. My workouts are intermediate step aerobics.

What has helped me tremendously is drinking a melted cube of chicken bouillon in 8 oz of water within an hour of working out. Since then, that does not happen any longer. Prior to, I was getting about 500 mg or less of sodium per day and not a lot of potassium. So now, I monitor both closely through MyFitPal. I get less than 2000 mg of potassium which I still need to improve but my sodium is close to or under/over slightly the 2500 mg a day suggested sodium requirements.
    Last edited by Gwynnda; 06-08-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    Health
    Happiness &
    "add a food"

Thanks for the insights Gwynnda and workinprogress. I had a dr. appt yesterday & she thought a blood sugar drop was most likely the culprit, but I'm not totally convinced of that, and I suppose there's no real way of knowing either way. She did do an EKG which was normal, and is doing bloodwork to see if anything is off. Having never experienced any dizziness or ANYthing like that in a workout it freaked me out, but I think it was (based on my symptoms at least) a vasovagal response. I have NO idea what triggered it though, so I'm keeping an eye on any similar symptoms to see if anything can be identified. Thanks everyone for your help though!

Gwynnda is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hope it gets better for you. I'm sure it was really scary.
    Health
    Happiness &
    "add a food"