Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Psghetti page

EMonger is offline Member

Psghetti

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone tried the paleo spaghetti recipe using scraped eggplant in place of pasta? Has anyone used rice noodles? How'd they turn out?

--

What would Andy Taylor do?

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    My take:

Spaghetti squash - good only as itself, either in soups or tossed around the meat fat after the flesh is done roasting/sautéeing. The advice of spaghetti squash with tomato sauce - blech for us.

Rice noodles: if you are talking the Italian pasta kind, and not the Asian kind, we love Goldbaums brand. Tinkyada in second place. Both taste good with tomato sauces and cook/act like regular pasta - just be a bit more gentle with them, as semolina pasta they ain't

We haven't met an Asian rice noodle yet we do not like - just don't expect to be able to get an Italian dish to work with these. Stick to Asian recipes - they are awesomeness by themselves

Asian noodles: check out their sweet potato noodles, too. They are part of the "glass noodle" family, ie they turn transparent upon cooking. Fun!

I haven't done the eggplant strips thing, but we do do zucchini that way, and we love it. Zucchini cut into thin strips (a mandoline helps immensely unless you are really good with a chefs knife), spread out on a towel to air dry for a while, then sautee. We like them so much we have taken to eating them that way as a side dish.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    I haven't done the eggplant strips thing, but we do do zucchini that way, and we love it. Zucchini cut into thin strips (a mandoline helps immensely unless you are really good with a chefs knife), spread out on a towel to air dry for a while, then sautee. We like them so much we have taken to eating them that way as a side dish.
    I use a simple ribbon/julienne peeler to shred zucchini, very quick and easy. And ya, it's perfect for tomato or alfredo sauces--good texture and absorbs a lot of flavor. I stir in some dry oregano for the sauté.

Rice and buckwheat noodles are not terrible if you're okay with some dense refined carbs--I'll have a bit in Thai or Vietnamese dining, but if it's an Asian sauce at home I'll probably use konjac.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    A good Asian store will have clear rice noodles that cook up very much like spaghetti, so much so you could fool anybody as long as you put sauce on them.

Finely shredded cabbage, steamed until tender, can also be a good substitute.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Spaghetti squash is one of my kid's favorite things in the world. I make it the same way for her as macaroni and cheese or with browned ground meat. She is not big on tomato sauces, but I cover it in home-made marinara for a casserole iirc.

The carbonara sauce (tomato-vegetables and meat) frankly is better without pasta, but that's me.

Zucchini makes one heck of a dish, sliced into strips and cooked in browned butter with garlic and nuts.

We use shiritake noodles or bean sprouts in all Asian dishes
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Paleobird Guest
    Another alternative is kelp noodles.

Look up the Sea Tangle brand.

delicious and a good source of iodine.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I was surprised that I liked spaghetti squash in place of pasta. It's better with cream sauces than red sauces, but even then, it's pretty damn good, with a subtle flavor that doesn't interfere with the sauce.

I like putting tomato/red sauces over rice rather than trying to duplicate pasta. Or just making them thicker if they have meat in them, not putting them over anything, and calling them chili.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

EMonger is offline Member
    Maybe I should have mentioned this part. This is to serve someone who eats gluten-free but not paleo, and who wants spaghetti. But I, of course, eating paleo, don't want to make actual pasta. So I'm looking for something that we can both eat that will give a spaghetti experience, preferably something twirl-able with a moist, pasta-like texture.
    Are Italian rice noodles generally available, or do you have to go to a specialty store? And Mark S says rice, while a grain, is about neutral, iirc?

--

What would Andy Taylor do?

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    We occasionally eat the Trader Joe's brand rice pasta, IMO it is the closest anything has come to a conventional wheat-based pasta. Of course it is rice-based so not low carb, but as a sometimes treat it is fine.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    I love vermicelli rice noodles. They are firm and taste just like wheat angel hair pasta.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast