Thread: fasting blood glucose reading down from the 6s to 4.6 in 2 weeks! page

Aili is offline Senior Member

fasting blood glucose reading down from the 6s to 4.6 in 2 weeks!

Primal Fuel
    So excited this a.m. that I had to share. Why? because it has been due to being totally primal AND making sure that I don't overdo the protein and watch the fructose. I took advice from this forum and had more healthy fat with my food instead of protein, no starchy vegetables, an apple every couple of days as a treat, and water kefir that has no sweet taste, just a deep raspberry flavour. I kept protein to .36 grams per pound of body weight and carbs under 50 grams. I have not gone overboard with fats but have only had good stuff and enough of it to be satisfied. Oh yes, I also have not eaten after supper in the evening, which tends to be around 7-8 p.m.

The thing is that I had not thought about too much protein as a problem but for me it seems to be true. As soon as I began to watch protein intake, the next a.m. my FBG was lower. In 2 weeks, it has gone from the high 6s to 4.6. Whatever specific reason it is, I have also lost weight in those 2 weeks.

I must say that all this is because I decided having a FBG in the 6s or the 5s, was not good enough. My doc feels I am OK, just have to watch my weight, but I do not agree. So I've taken action. Woo Hoo!

edit- forgot to mention that postprandial readings are all in the low 5s instead of the high 6s.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations!

otzi Guest
    Great work getting to know your body! Your evening meal can greatly influence your FBG. Excess protein can turn into blood sugar as well, and from what I have heard, your body has a hard time dealing with blood sugar that gets there from the conversion of protein (called endogenous glucose) as opposed to glucose you eat (exogenous glucose).

Not to psych you out or anything, but as a long-term plan, you may want to consider adding more carbs, especially starchy carbs (potato/rice) back into your diet over time. The diet you are enjoying now can lead to 'physiological insulin resistance', which is fine for someone with no glucose regulation issues, but for a person with a history of T2D or Pre-T2D, it can really make you stall in terms of health related to too much insulin.

Keep checking your BG, keep trying what works, but be prepared to change if it no longer works.

I started out almost exactly where you were--high FBG, little control over PPs, trying different things. What I find keeps my BG in total check is most protein at lunch, no snacking after dinner, 1-2 medium sized servings of starchy veg (100-150g carbs/day), and no snacking after dinner. Also, by adding 1 TBS of raw potato starch to the sour cream or yogurt I put on my potato, I have the lowest post-prandial glucose spike imaginable. It's almost non-existent, and only adds about 40 calories to the meal.

Thanks workinprogress! It is very nice getting a picture of my BG over time and keeping a careful record of food intake, the BP too. I am working on 'causation' but for now here a couple of correlations. I had not had dairy at all for the last few weeks because of my addiction to Greek yogurt (seriously). A couple of days ago I felt like I needed something small but with a kick. So I decided to eat a slice of cheddar, slowly. It seemed what I needed and the next morning my fasting BG was 4.9, so now I'm thinking small amounts of hard cheese occasionally is OK.Yesterday again I had 2 slices of cheddar with an omelette, and kept the protein to .36 grams / lb of weight, carbs below 50, healthy fats, and this morning it was 4.6. I'm glad that water kefir doesn't seem to affect the levels. I know that some folks might say, it's only been two weeks, but this does have me engaged. It is totally a n=1

Thanks Otzi
    In response to your suggestion in another post, I have looked for the potato starch and have read that eating a bit of raw potato provides the starch too. Also that eating cooked and cooled potato also provides this type of starch. I don't know how much we'd have to have to get 1 T's worth.
    Re adding starchy carbs...I was thinking of a suggestion to have starchy carb in the morning so I cooked a stir-fry for brunch that included potato cubes, and had a few....enjoyed them too I appreciate your explanation of insulin resistance and the need for a variety of carbs over time.
    I eat twice a day, in the a.m. (today 8:30, may be earlier or later), and then in the evening (time for meal varies from 5-8). I feel better if I have more protein in the first meal.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    well done,thats a great job.
    the water kefir sounds interesting, where do you get that?
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    well done,thats a great job.
    the water kefir sounds interesting, where do you get that?
    Hi CarbDodger! Nice to hear from you...water kefir. I like fizzy, cold drinks, but don't drink pop and hate buying carbonated water. So, one day as I was looking into this online I ran across reference to 'water kefir' which tweaked my interest. If you google it, it explains the details, but it is a carbonated water drink which goes through 2-3 fermentations, and can be adjusted to taste. Great source of probiotics too.The water kefir 'grain' is a firm, translucent combination of healthful bacteria and yeasts. A handful in a 2 quart glass picture with 1/2 c of organic sugar [can add other things too- e.g. a bit molasses) and 2 quarts well water with no chlorine, cover loosely= my 1st ferment. After the liquid is not sweet at all (2-3 days depending on the temperature), 2nd= I put about a cup full of berries (raspberries my fave) into the bottom of a 1 gallon jar and cover tightly. Let gas escape a couple of times a day and after 1-2 days, check it. Now, I add another step,3= bottling it, sometimes putting it to cool right away at other times, I leave it on the counter to develop a bit more fizz. I bottle it in the green beer bottles with a ceramic top. That's my experience in a nutshell. I've been doing this since October 2012, so I am far from and expert . Take care