Thread: Multivitamin advice for extremely picky-eating 7yr old page

AussieMum is offline Junior Member

Question Multivitamin advice for extremely picky-eating 7yr old

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi would love some advice on the best multivitamin or supplements to give my 7 year old son. I think he has Sensory Processing Disorder, as we have always had struggles with eating issues with him.

At this point in time he eats:
    Breakfast: Cornfakes/rice bubbles with full cream milk
    Lunch: Chicken Roll, salami & yoghurt
    Dinner: any of the following: pasta or rice, chicken pieces, mash potato with cheese, cod or tuna. On a very good day broccoli.
    He does try other things from time to time but basically my issue is the NO veg and NO fruit...

He has never eaten fruit, even since initial weaning he wouldnt eat it pureed. He wont eat any other veg.. trust me please, as he went for a whole 5 days without eating rather than eating the fresh veg and fruit we were trying to get him to eat. Which is where the Sensory processing comes in.

When in australia we found a great 100% veg juice that he loved. But we have not found anything like it here and he wont drink the ones I make. So now I am trying to find if there is a better multivitamin I can give him that will help with what he is not getting from the veg etc. Currently he is on the centrum kids a to zinc.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I have read that zinc deficiencies can have a hand in sensory processing disorders (you might want to get that actually diagnosed, however, as a doctor may be able to make recommendations). Reducing pasta and grain intake as much as possible will likely help him get as many nutrients as possible.

Will he eat eggs?

Can you get a zinc or multivitamin in powder form and hide it in his yogurt or some other liquid/non-solid food?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Thanks for the tip I will look into it. Yes occasionally he eats boiled eggs and every morning I offer him eggs for breakfast.. occasionally he says yes but its rare. He is better gluten/wheat free for many reasons and we try to limit it to only topping up his food if he hasnt eaten enough.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I have two diagnosed SPD kids. So I have a lot of advice, but it will be disjointed advice points, okay?

Vitamins - get something that is "food-based". My favorite is the MegaFood brand, but they are pricey. But - reading their literature will give you a really good primer on synthetic versus food-based supplements

Get your son tested by an occupational therapist. In the US, this discipline is where you would go for that determination. SPDs are not unserious - if not treated, they snowball into bigger problems down the road. The treatment consists of exercises and strategies to bring the kid more into balance, and also patient education. Both on the part of the parent, so the parent understands exactly what is happening and then can make better parenting decisions (because dealing with this stuff will make you want to smack some sense into your kid on those really bad days, even though both of us wouldn't do it, but the frustration is absolutely there), and also of the kid, so the kid learns to recognize when s/he is getting out of balance and what steps s/he can take on their own. My older one now manages herself, with occasional input from me (but I am always observing - moms really never stop doing that, you know)

The gold standard here for feeding difficulties is a "feeding team evaluation". You go to a children's hospital to get this. The appointment consists of a whole clutch of therapists and doctors evaluating your kid for lots of different things: defects in swallowing, breathing, and possible organ diseases and/or malformations; psychology for any difficulties in family dinnertime dynamic; nutritionist to get a grip on how the kid's current diet is doing for him/her; occupational therapist to diagnose SPD; and a couple of others I cannot remember. I had to go this route with my younger SPD, and it is there we were diagnosed with the SPD. That one diagnosis made ALL the difference for us, because I then knew which road I needed to go down for answers.

There is a cookbook set out here, "Deceptively Delicious", by Jessica Seinfeld, and its companion book, "Double Delicious". I read my copies from a local library. This mom has really picky kids, so she makes fruit and veggie purées and hides them in everything. When her kiddos were wee, they knew nothing of it, but now they are older, they know their mom does this and seemingly do not care as their old faves are, well, their old faves. There was a lot of debate here when these books came out as to the merits (or not) of this practice, but I, for one, am simply grateful there is yet another strategy out there for feeding tough kids.

Another book - "Food Chaining" by Cheri Fraker. Amazon.com. This book is a huge resource for difficult eaters. The idea is that you take a kid's eating habits exactly where they are at, and then make microsteps in the direction which they need to go. Example: from McDonalds chicken nuggets to home-sautéed chicken breast strips. So you know your starting and ending points, and then you can better map out the between-steps. TONS of other info, and some stories of kids that will make you feel like yours is a walk in the park.

My younger SPD hates fruit, so we blend it frozen into a kind of soft-serve smoothie. She will eat glasses of this. If you want my recipe tips, just ask.

Lewis Labs Brewers Yeast Flakes - tons of vitamins, just sprinkle on food. Tan in color, nuttyish tasting, does not interfere with savory flavors, my kids approve.

Since you are posting here on the MDA, I do have to mention that there is a contingent of seriously low-veggie carnivores here who state that fruits and veggies are overrated and not all that necessary as long as you buy top-quality flesh (grass-fed, organic, etc). I happen to be a veggie lover, so that statement sits kinda askew with me, but they all say they are enjoying their best health that way - it might be something to consider.

"Yummy Greens" by Solaray (a supplement company) greens-containing chewables. My picky (but not SPD) kid loves these. In fact, all my four kids were raised with these as a part of their younger childhoods.

Sorry this is so long, but I really have had my share of struggles with kids and food, and they are all now trim and healthy and strong and well along the road of being eaters who do try new things - I have hope for yours!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I have a picky 3 year old who is developmentally delayed (read: no definitive dx, but likely ASD). He is strictly gluten free primal.

So rather than give you specific advice (as I don't know your childs issues as well) I'll give you a breakdown of what we do and why.

Breakfast: Egg and banana pancakes (totally great! just mash one banana into 2 eggs and mix... cook it up in coconut oil) OR sausage (we get local free range with no additives)

Lunch: He doesn't always have 3 meals a day, but this may be Beef or Chicken burger with cut up fruit (apple, grapes and pears are his 3 favs)

Dinner: Same sort as lunch. Might do watermellon or sweet potato fries .... just some side thats different from lunch.

Snacks/Other: We have rice puff cereal and envirokids cereal bars. For drinks is raw whole milk or 100% juice (mixed to 50/50 water).

I give him the FCLO (fermented cod liver oil) a few times a week (snuck into drink or "smoothie") because he doesn't eat liver or fish. This gives him a bit of a boost and I like that FCLO is essentially a traditional "food" rather than a lab made supplement. If I were to consider a supplement for a multi I would go with a "whole food" supplement like those made here just for instance.

I personally feel and have seen enough evidence that a meat centric diet with enough energy provides plenty of nutrition without over reliance on veggies. My boy gets the one thing meat doesn't have (vitamin C) with his portions of fruit and juice each day.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-06-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Hey Neckhammer - I never knew that about you - 3 yo kid. I thought you were just yourself and showing off the tatted biceps for the chicks!

My 12 yo is developmentally delayed with a huge host of neuro-based disorders, to the point that she goes to a special-needs-only school. She has been on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet since 2006, with tweaks along the way as I learn more and more. Primal for her rocks, even though the SCD diet is very close - they don't address seed oils, for one. I just learned about banana pancakes here, and mine does the Pancake Adoration Dance each time I make them.

PS - ah, yes, we have had Standard Process on our past, too!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Thank you so much ladies! I have been busily researching the tips you have given me. Crabcakes I will be in touch! I'm super excited about the book you recommended!! I can't wait to read it and try it out.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I think it's interesting that he drank the juice in australia, but won't drink home-made juice. that's. . . really interesting. I hope that you can find some juicing recipes that he likes, because that was my first thought (along with smoothies/raw ice cream. . . figuring that might work for him.

Good luck. Also, some people really like Juice+ vitamins as 'real food' ones. I don't know i fyou can get them in the UK.

Also, cod liver oil, bone broths, etc. . . lots of nutrients!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Hey Neckhammer - I never knew that about you - 3 yo kid. I thought you were just yourself and showing off the tatted biceps for the chicks!

My 12 yo is developmentally delayed with a huge host of neuro-based disorders, to the point that she goes to a special-needs-only school. She has been on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet since 2006, with tweaks along the way as I learn more and more. Primal for her rocks, even though the SCD diet is very close - they don't address seed oils, for one. I just learned about banana pancakes here, and mine does the Pancake Adoration Dance each time I make them.

PS - ah, yes, we have had Standard Process on our past, too!
    Hahah... funny you say that. In the time I've hung out here thats the only pic I ever posted. Just kind of extra wary (read paranoid) about that stuff. I don't even have facebook pics for that matter. Guess its a little out of date to worry bout that stuff anymore.

Yeah, my whole family is degrees of primal. Yes my 3 year old has been SCD and was for about a year before I started introducing some starchier primal foods here and there along with some raw milk (which he actually does quite well on after he only was allowed 24hr yogurt for like 6 months). I've moved him along the scale based on how he reacts GI wise. Definitely noticeable improvement initially and he continues to come along, albeit slowly. My 6 year old is doing terrific, but since he has no overt issues he gets some dietary leeway. Me and my wife both do our thing and use the 80% rule.

The banana pancakes are ALWAYS a hit in our house! Even made myself some for a post workout meal today.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-07-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Hahah... funny you say that. In the time I've hung out here thats the only pic I ever posted. Just kind of extra wary (read paranoid) about that stuff. I don't even have facebook pics for that matter. Guess its a little out of date to worry bout that stuff anymore.

Yeah, my whole family is degrees of primal. Yes my 3 year old has been SCD and was for about a year before I started introducing some starchier primal foods here and there along with some raw milk (which he actually does quite well on after he only was allowed 24hr yogurt for like 6 months). I've moved him along the scale based on how he reacts GI wise. Definitely noticeable improvement initially and he continues to come along, albeit slowly. My 6 year old is doing terrific, but since he has no overt issues he gets some dietary leeway. Me and my wife both do our thing and use the 80% rule.

The banana pancakes are ALWAYS a hit in our house! Even made myself some for a post workout meal today.
    We keep ourselves and our kids off of the Internet to an extraordinary degree - I think we will find that all that "out there" that people do is more than halfway not good. The MDA is my only foray into the Interwebz

Okay, so now you have a wife and another kiddo... Cool! I would have written the word "wife" somewhere in the last post, but then I thought better of it as I really did not know your circumstances/family situation. I have a hubby and four girls. And six cats.

My SCD Kid With Primal Adjustments has never been able to do dairy. We can do seaweed, Asian sweet potato noodles, shirataki noodles, baked sweet potato, and regular spuds (as long as they are peeled), now. Otherwise, all the usual suspects in the SCD still cause her problems.