Thread: Omega-3/Omega-6 in Chicken meat page

ColoradoSteve is offline Senior Member

Omega-3/Omega-6 in Chicken meat

Shop Now
    When omega fat content/ratio is usually discussed, it centers around red meat - beef, bison, elk, pork, etc and eggs.

What is the omega 3/omega 6 makeup of chicken meat? I'm not looking for 'you should eat chickens that live on a farm and only see the inside of a henhouse when they want to and are happy' answer . I'm looking for references that have taken measurements with standard commercial chicken practices vs other more 'small farm' practices.

It's tough to turn down the $1.79-$1.99/lb chicken thigh/breast sales that we see pretty regularly on commercially raised chickens.

Thanks!
    Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

hbeck is offline Senior Member
    I'd be less worried about the Omega balance on commercial chickens than I would the absolute shit conditions, food, and drugs/hormones they are injected with.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I would be concerned with the omega 6. Then again I'm Canadian, maybe I'm just not up to date with American ranching methods and the research that's been done into their safety. Either way the omega 6 counts.

Breast will have less fat and thigh will have more fat, the thigh has lots and the breast has little. You're looking at about 4g of omega 6 per 500 calories which is pretty hefty compared with beef and lamb. So I say on a day where you eat chicken for dinner, eat salmon for lunch.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSteve View Post
    When omega fat content/ratio is usually discussed, it centers around red meat - beef, bison, elk, pork, etc and eggs.
    What is the omega 3/omega 6 makeup of chicken meat?
    I wouldn't worry about the omegas in non-ruminant animals; you don't eat those animals for their omega oils. Omnivores don't store much O-3 as it comes from grass/algae rather than grains, bugs, nuts, etc. I don't eat much chicken these days as I find it way too dry. Someone suggested I douse it in butter--so I skip the chicken and eat the butter. If that's the source of my calories, why not eliminate the vehicle?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9mNHNOMqaq...a3GraphFix.jpg

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    So I say on a day where you eat chicken for dinner, eat salmon for lunch.
    Simple and smart response!!! I love it.