Thread: Getting rid of Pendlay rows in my Stronglifts routine page

Lockstock is offline Senior Member

Getting rid of Pendlay rows in my Stronglifts routine

Primal Fuel
    So, I'm doing a barbell routine. I was thinking on completely removing Pendlay rows from Workout A and replacing them with dumbell rows, cable, rows, rear delt flys etc...
    My reason for this is because, while the movement is fine for now, once it starts to get heavy I can just imagine my spine ripping out my backside like I just got KO'ed by the bar in mortal kombat.

Would removing them compromise my strength in anyway or..just be bad?

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    Assuming you are deadlifting in your routine, replacing the Pendlays with another row variant should be fine I would say. The issue with Pendlays is that people often end up using the lower back too much (especially at heavier weights). An exercise where strain is taken off the the lower back may be the best idea e.g. single arm dumbell rows (one hand on a bench), this helps target the mid/upper back better.
    Last edited by maclrc; 06-06-2013 at 04:57 AM.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    So, I'm doing a barbell routine. I was thinking on completely removing Pendlay rows from Workout A and replacing them with dumbell rows, cable, rows, rear delt flys etc...
    My reason for this is because, while the movement is fine for now, once it starts to get heavy I can just imagine my spine ripping out my backside like I just got KO'ed by the bar in mortal kombat.

Would removing them compromise my strength in anyway or..just be bad?
    Once the deadlifts get heavy, you won't feel the need to have a second "lat" movement.

But do the dumbbell (Kroc) rows and lose the barbell (Pendlay) rows. Jim Wendler likes them better anyway.

PrimalMonkRocker is offline Junior Member
    Exactly....once the deadlifts got heavy I got a lot more from db rows, 3 sets of 10 (after benching). I never really felt anything from the pendlays after my dl got above 250 or so. But stick with it it's a great program

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    I don't do bb rows anymore ever, because I also feel that it puts a very unnatural stress on the lower back once they start to get pretty heavy. replacing them with db rows shouldn't be a problem at all. as long as you are deadlifting, you should be fine.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    as long as you are deadlifting, you should be fine.
    this is the phrase I repeat to myself when I meditate.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    this is the phrase I repeat to myself when I meditate.
    haha.. my new mantra is "I was in the gym, bangin' arms!"
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

prufock is offline Member
    You could also try power cleans.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by prufock View Post
    You could also try power cleans.
    We tried that in another thread. He doesn't want to power clean, despite the numerous benefits.