Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interpreting Blood Test Results page

dislegal is offline Junior Member

Post Interpreting Blood Test Results

I'm new to the forum. My quick story is that June 1st 2012 I decided to kick off an experiment with a very low-carb diet (I heard about it on the TWiT.tv podcast "Security Now").
    At that stage I was almost 27y/o, 185cm and 123.5kg. Turns out the experiment worked, because today - a full year later, I'm still eating very low-carb, with an eye to adding a paleo/primal twist into it. I'm now at 82.4kg (that's a loss of 41kg!) 4 months ago I kicked off Intermittent Fasting, and began eating only 1 meal per day (dinner). And this is real one-meal-per-day, unlike those "cram your face full during a 4 hour period", I literally eat only dinner. The only other thing I put in my mouth outside of dinner time is lots of water.
    So after a year, and only having my objective metrics (body weight, body measurements) and subjective metrics (amount of energy, lack of cravings, feeling of wellness) I thought it time to get a blood test. I've done just that and have a copy of the results - but now I don't know how to go about interpreting them. Other than my doctor stating "your cholesterol is literally the best I have ever seen in Australia" - he didn't really go into much detail other than advising I'm now a picture of health, and then confusing me by saying that although I now had great health, I should start eating bread and other carbohydrates every day, three meals a day - to keep my insulin in check (of all things - right!!!?)

So, I'm more than happy to post up my results here, or anywhere that someone can help me read into them and work towards improving whatever needs improving, through diet and lifestyle.

otzi Guest
    Post your results. Be sure to include the reference range in parenthesis next to your readings--that helps a lot. Put up as many of them as you can. Post previous readings and a date if you have them too. A lot of what you are looking for is long-term trends.

I've never had a blood test before, so I have nothing for comparison unfortunately. Here's my results.
    Health - Blood Test 130603.pdf
    MEREDITH, Blood Test 130603 - Copy.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dislegal; 06-06-2013 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Changed image upload to display better.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dislegal View Post
    Other than my doctor stating "your cholesterol is literally the best I have ever seen in Australia" - he didn't really go into much detail other than advising I'm now a picture of health, and then confusing me by saying that although I now had great health, I should start eating bread and other carbohydrates every day, three meals a day - to keep my insulin in check (of all things - right!!!?)
    Yeah, multiple logic fails on the part of your doctor there.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Maybe this attachment will be easier to view than the image. Health - Blood Test 130603.pdf

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    We'll get back to you tommorrow, when those attachments get approved.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

How long do attachments usually take to get approved?

Any takers on this thread? I could really use a point in the right direction, at least where I should start looking to learn more about my results...

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    I don't understand why you need help interpreting these, if youre actually after a pat on the back for a job well done I'll give you one because they are mainly 99.9% excellent.
    The 2 highlighted areas
    lymphocytosis; you may have had a mild infection such as a cold in the previous 4 weeks. ignore
    Potassium; is too high, remove or at least halve your supplements. you don't want it any higher
    other than this minor K issue its perfect
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

I don't understand why you need help interpreting these, if youre actually after a pat on the back for a job well done I'll give you one because they are mainly 99.9% excellent.
    Thanks for the 'virtual pat on the back' then CarbDodger. As I don't have any metrics from when I was 40kg+ heavier, I obviously can't see any trends, and have nothing for comparison. I was actually hoping the doc would go into more detail with me, but he seemed uninterested. I guess I'm a little bit stuck because I'm at the starting point where I don't even know what some of the abbreviations mean (e.g. Hb, RCC, Basos, etc.)
    I guess what I'm asking is, is there a good resource that anyone knows of that I can read up on the different tests that are carried out when a blood test is done? Like a starting point for me? Or am I better off just waiting it out for 6 months, getting another test and comparing my results at that point?

lymphocytosis; you may have had a mild infection such as a cold in the previous 4 weeks. ignore
    Potassium; is too high, remove or at least halve your supplements. you don't want it any higher
    Regarding the Lymphocytosis - yes I had a cold/flu and a minor gum infection within the month before my blood test.

And for the Potassium - I take zero supplements, so do you have other advice for the best way to lower my potassium through diet? (Currently eating VLC, keeping it as primal/palao as I can, with only cream/butter as dairy, eating one meal per day as I have for the last 4 months, and now started 48-hour-fasting once per week).
    Any advice is appreciated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast