Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fruit and Post Workout Nutrition page

Mav3rick is offline Senior Member

Fruit and Post Workout Nutrition

Primal Fuel
    Is fructose as easily accessible as glucose during high intensity training? I know that fructose is mostly metabolized in the liver, but can it also be stored as muscle glycogen? If not as efficiently, then where do we get glucose to refill depleted glycogen if not from grains?

I know Mark advocates low intensity exercise so as not to deplete glycogen, but I can't help it. I love high intensity training too much.

After a hard session of sprinting and heavy deadlifting, my muscles are begging for sugar. Will fruit do the trick? I know I cant depend on veggies for the job.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I've heard that glucose is preferable. Maybe a sweet potato or boniato would do the trick.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Fruit won't do anything to build muscle. It should be protein that your muscles are screaming for. Carb loading with fruit if that's what you're wanting to do, should be done before the workout to fuel your workout. Once you've done that you'll need the protein to repair and add more muscle.

Mav3rick is offline Senior Member
    My goal isn't muscle building. I am not looking to necessarily carb load, I'm looking to refuel and replenish spent glycogen after my high intensity workouts.

Carb loading is meant done specifically for the glycogen. My advice would be don't do it. The reason that we think that we need to do that is because we're all hammered with Gatorade commercials that tell us that it's a good idea. A great part of your high intensity workouts is that you do burn through your glycogen. Once you've done that your muscles will be using fatty acids as fuel and those come from your fat cells. Eating sweet fruit will cause an insulin spike and get you rout of the fat burning mode that you've just put yourself in.

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    Carb loading is meant done specifically for the glycogen. My advice would be don't do it. The reason that we think that we need to do that is because we're all hammered with Gatorade commercials that tell us that it's a good idea. A great part of your high intensity workouts is that you do burn through your glycogen. Once you've done that your muscles will be using fatty acids as fuel and those come from your fat cells. Eating sweet fruit will cause an insulin spike and get you rout of the fat burning mode that you've just put yourself in.
    +1

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    This thread got to me thinking... I am doing the p90x workouts and I have a protein smoothie after my workouts. I always add a banana because I add some supplements to my smoothie that only a banana will mask. Should I have my smoothie before my workout instead and just have some protein after my workout????

Banana's should be eaten in moderation anyway if you're looking to burn fat. You have the protein part right, but I'd recommend finding a new mask for your supplements.

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    +2!

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    Sweet Potatos and Yams are good choices for replenishing glycogen stores, however if you are fat adapted you will replenish them naturally within about 24 hours. So the only time it should be an issue for you is if you are doing 2 intense workouts within a 24 hour period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast