Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is primal the "one true path"? page 3

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Do yourself a favor: take a break from the forums for a few weeks. Someone on here is going to take issue with any food you can possibly name -- "too many carbs", "too much fiber", "too much pufa", "too much mufa", "it's Neolithic". If you try to please every camp, you'll end up eating, what... grass fed beef and coconut?

I eat foods that fall within the primal nutritional guidelines, but which are probably Neolithic -- that includes egg white protein powder and puffed rice cereal (I think the brand is Arrowhead Farms), both of which are perfectly harmless. I enjoy them, I feel good eating them. I'm not going to eschew them because they don't fit a strict label.

None of us get out alive -- do what makes you happy and healthy. Plus, a rice cake has what... 10g carbs, max? If that's your concern, don't worry
    I totally agree, but rather than taking a break I just troll and post nonsense for several days.

But since you mention it hows that puffed rice cereal treating ya? I seem to remember you being a VLC eater.

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I totally agree, but rather than taking a break I just troll and post nonsense for several days.

But since you mention it hows that puffed rice cereal treating ya? I seem to remember you being a VLC eater.
    Haha, good memory. It's going great! I have 1 or even 2 cups a day when I feel like it for a whopping total of 20g carbs and miniscule calories. I don't know why I spent so long experimenting with nut granolas which were 800 calories per bowl.

I'm still pretty low carb (I rarely go above 60g in a day) but I'm learning to not sweat the technicalities so much and just use my common sense.

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yes it is.
    Agree.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    ...but I'm learning to not sweat the technicalities so much and just use my common sense.
    Well THAT'S odd!

That might even get you kicked out of the cave!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Kakakatie is offline Junior Member
    My question is, do you hang out outside and move around? Play a bit & see how your tastes change

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    I saw weight gain as well due to the gratuitous fats and lack of tracking calories. I'm not one of the "lucky ones" that gets satiated on high fat.
    Thank you for this. Primal seems to imply that our bodies will know exactly how many calories we need and our tummes will feel like Thanksgiving at the exact calorie level... at which point we throw the rest of the food in the trash. Not gonna happen. I for one probably won't stop in the middle of a bulletproof coffee.

To the OP, if you enjoy the rice cakes, have at it. Feel free to experiment. If the carbs and weight creep back up, well then go back to strict, right?
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Primal seems to imply that our bodies will know exactly how many calories we need and our tummes will feel like Thanksgiving at the exact calorie level... at which point we throw the rest of the food in the trash. Not gonna happen.
    From a Paleolithic perspective only the foods that were available in the environment were capable of being eaten. So eating "too much" meat and vegi probably wasn't going to happen, and wouldn't likely make you unhealthy anyhow.

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ForgotMyOldUsername View Post
    I came to paleo eating about a year ago -- not to lose weight (I was already in great shape, athletic, and lean from constantly counting calories) but to learn more about nutrition and discover a more effortless way of eating (with less counting).

I'm honestly starting to grow a bit weary, though. I appreciate the wealth of nutritional knowledge I've picked up, but I've only gained weight (not much, but a few pounds) since abandoning calorie counting and taking up paleo.

I'd like to transition back into a whole foods diet with fewer restrictions, because it seems like the paleo "rules" have triggered some orthorexic behaviors in me. This would mean probably reducing my fat, and adding in things like rice cakes which I genuinely enjoy but which the paleo community turns its nose up at. I've literally been told by someone on a paleo forum that rice cakes will make me fat, which is the most ludicrous, idiotic thing I've ever heard. When I asked him where he got that idea, he simply replied "it's not paleo".

I guess what I'm saying is -- paleo taught me some great things about nutrition, not fearing fat, choosing whole foods, etc... but it's not the only way to maintain one's weight (in fact -- correct me if I'm wrong -- it seems to be more aimed at health and longevity than weight). I feel I can safely make a few modifications that go against the paleo rules without blowing up like a balloon -- I know because was lean and fit for years before going paleo.

I guess this was more of a rant than a question... but any thoughts/opinions are welcome.
    Err, yeah a rice cake here and there ain't gonna hurt you lol. Sorry for laughing. No one with any sense will tell you to be hardcore paleo, us ones with common sense know how to mix in the healthy carbs with this diet too.

BUT, primal diet, as laid out by mark, IMHO, is still the healthiest way to eat.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Not Primal diet, Primal Blueprint. Don't get Mark sued.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Owen is offline Senior Member
    I saw someone quoting robb wolf - 'How do you look, feel and perform?'. To me thats the answer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123