Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Root Canal. page

gamergod521 is offline Junior Member

Question Question about Root Canal.

Hello everyone, I have a situation I've been seriously contemplating what to do. I'm 22 years old and recently had (in april) 4 wisdom teeth removed due to them being impacted, and causing cavities in some molars that the wisdom teeth crashed into. 6 teeth were removed, wisdom plus 2 molars. So I have one molar on the upper right of my mouth in the back, that has a hole in it, pretty big too. It was infected again at the end of may, so naturally went to the dentist...they gave me 150mg clindamycin for about 7 days, so I've been down that road before although I hate taking anti biotics, I did so with kefir and didn't have any noticeable ill effects, stomach wise mainly. I felt a lot better after my anti biotic rounds though it started up again, and my face began to hurt not badly just enough to notice, and the tooth is the only one in my mouth that I can feel like apparently there, it stands out among all others, and is sensitive to cold liquids (hurts a lot) . Back to the dentist, they think a root canal can save it, and at the time I'm thinking oh gee that sounds great saving all the teeth I can. I get on clindamycin again although aware of its most likely diminished or non existent effectiveness having just been on it. I tried garlic btw for natural anti biotic, It burns a ton , not that I minded. It just didn't really seem to work the magic and I took it just like you would anti biotic, frequently. Try to keep my mouth clean with baking soda, peroxide (although I have two bottom molars with amalgams in them so I am ..very wary about using peroxide anymore until some day when I can get the amalgams out) I take apple cider vinegar every now and then too. Diets pretty primal, or whole foods , teas, veggies, fruits, meats not grass fed but I'm working on it, farm eggs, wine, nuts, grass fed butter, actual dark chocolate etc... Anyways the question: to root canal or not to root canal meaning extraction, I've been thinking of what to do all day as my appointment for a consultation is tomorrow, I had the hole of the molar cleaned out a lil bit and they put something in there to close it up for the time being. It doesn't sit well with me to have an extra questionable substance in my mouth, as well as having a tooth that to me seems pretty dead, I'm thinking of having it extracted but I'm not sure if this is wise. Any thoughts , wisdom , advice would be really appreciated, and thanks for reading this question anyways if you did as non eloquently conveyed it was haha .

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Don't get a root canal. Get the tooth extracted and get an implant.

I had a root canal at 20. $2000. At 22, the tooth broke and needed a crown - $2000. At 26, the crown needed replaced- $2000. At 28, the crown fell off and the root cracked. They wanted to "try" another $2000 crown. I said, oh hell no. They did an extraction - $200. I'm now missing a molar and it's no big deal (I'm 39 so for 10 years, no tooth no problem). I could get an implant- it's around $5000.

Just go for the extraction and get an implant when you have money.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

gamergod521 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks much for your reply, and a timeline of events for your experience. I feel as you do, that I'm better off in this case getting the extraction, so that is what I will do. An implant down the road is possible. In the meantime the remaining teeth I have need extra care. I was thinking something like a waterpik, experimenting with tooth powders, homemade pastes(something to remineralize) , k2 supplements. Well anywho, thanks for the answer again.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Is there any reason for you to believe that tooth will last the rest of your life as it is? If not, I say extract it, as it's causing troubles. It's too bad you couldn't keep your wisdom teeth instead. Ugh. I got my wisdom teeth out at age 20, and I always wonder why that has to happen.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I never had mine out. The dentist told me it was time and I asked why. He said they cause problems. I said I feel fine. And that was that. At least, that's the best my memory can do - it's been 12 years now since that conversation. And I'm 31 now, with all 3 of my wisdom teeth! Yeah, I only grew three. Nothing on the bottom right. :P

Big Wisdom Teeth, Small*Jaws | Know Thy Health

Our jaws should be bigger, too. Ask some huge-jawed people what their mom fed them. The answer invariably comes out as real food, basically HG nutrition. Meat, vegetables, etc. I guess, as a phlebotomist, I get bored and sometimes take weird surveys as part of the small-talk.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

DBM
    DBM is offline Junior Member
    Hey gamer, I found this site awhile back and tried making the toothpaste. It wasn't too bad, but not great but with some some tweaking for personal tastes it could be quite nice. Hope this helps.
    Homemade Remineralizing Toothpaste Recipe for Oral Health

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    My root canals are the best molars of the whole bunch that I have. The dental work has lasted 24 years so far.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Add flossing to your dental care.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    And I'm 31 now, with all 3 of my wisdom teeth! Yeah, I only grew three. Nothing on the bottom right.
    Same thing here (kind of). I've only got the upper left and lower right. The other two just plain don't exist.

But I've got bizarre dental genes anyway. My maternal grandma never had any adult teeth, just her baby teeth, so she had dentures from the age of 13 on.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

richard is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yep, get them removed. Root canals, dead teeth, anerobic bacteria living in microtunnels in the root spewing out toxins...bad idea.

I would never get a root canal and I had the one I did have removed. No good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast