Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question about Root Canal. page 3

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by goinggrok View Post
    I have opted out of having a root canal done, I have had a sister who has had nothing but problems with hers. They get infected and have to be redone or capped. I had my molar pulled, over 10 yrs ago and my teeth haven't moved up or gone crooked. This is what they tell you, but I don't believe it to be true. Tactic to scare you into not having it pulled.

Best of luck whichever road you choose.
    No, it's not 'a tactic to scare you'. See Crabcakes and the orthodontist (braces dentist) recommendation. In the implant process (and I have many) if, when the root is removed, the bone is good, the implant can be put in immediately and additional bone packed around it. Then a wait of 6 months for the bone to grow around and grip the titanium implant. Then the dentist makes a tooth that fits over the implant (a facinating process). However if the bone is not good additional bone is packed in and the gum sewn over it. Then a 6 month wait until the new bone is solid. Then the implant is put it and another 6 month wait.

Because I am older and have oesteoporosis my bone is not that good so I get the longer route, a total of 1 year. At the beginning of the process the dentist made me a fitted plastic and fake tooth plate to wear to fill the space, called a retainer. However after the implant was put in I couldn't wear the retainer over it. So I just didn't wear it. By the time the dentist began to make the tooth for the implant, the teeth on either side had moved toward the space. This was easy to see and tell, because even just the retainer tooth alone didn't fit in the space anymore.

Because you are young and, hopefully, have a long life ahead of you, it's even more important for you to do this correctly now.

I have a lot of friends my age who, after many root canals and crowns, finally had their teeth pulled out and wear 'false teeth' plates. Because, with no roots or implants, their jaw bones shrink, they must have new plates made every few years. Alas, when in their late 70's or early 80's, they can no longer make plates to fit because there is too little bone left, they have to go without even false teeth and gum their food.

You've already had 6 teeth pulled. That's 2 too many. And now you're talking about another root to go. Please, go consult with an oral surgeon immediately.

And I think you need a new, better dentist.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-06-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    I never got wisdom teeth, bottom pre-molars, or my top right canine. Bad genes man. I had a molar pulled (as the cheapest option) and I sure miss that bastard.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

sbhikes, Yes, they've been doing them for about 50 years now. However at first they did them with a variety of other metals which almost always failed because they were not fully accepted, or later rejected, by the bone. About 30 years ago they started using titanium and have had much better success. Further, that success rate keeps increasing as their techniques keep getting better and better.

Of course in the earlier titanium years the cost of an implant and it's tooth was about $60,000. So only rich people would get them. Even in the last 10 years, as I've been havin them put in, the cost has dropped almost in half (about $3000 for implant and fake tooth). That's about the same as for a root canal and a crown. Today, though, it's starting to inch up. Their materials and techniques are perfected, success is 99%, and the natural economic forces are having their effect.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-06-2013 at 03:21 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I never had mine out. The dentist told me it was time and I asked why. He said they cause problems. I said I feel fine. And that was that. At least, that's the best my memory can do - it's been 12 years now since that conversation. And I'm 31 now, with all 3 of my wisdom teeth! Yeah, I only grew three. Nothing on the bottom right. :P

Big Wisdom Teeth, Small*Jaws | Know Thy Health

Our jaws should be bigger, too. Ask some huge-jawed people what their mom fed them. The answer invariably comes out as real food, basically HG nutrition. Meat, vegetables, etc. I guess, as a phlebotomist, I get bored and sometimes take weird surveys as part of the small-talk.
    I had the same experience. When I was 21 a dentist recommended I have all my teeth out and just wear a plate. I went screaming off the the UCLA Dental Center for a lot of study. I'm sure glad I did, and that they recommended excellent dentists that could maintain my teeth until the new miracle of implants was perfected, just in time for me. I'm grateful to all the good dentists I've had.

I agree that poor foods and diets have narrowed our jaws, our eyes, our nose, and our face and skull structure. We're getting mashed by our foods (LOL).

Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    I never got wisdom teeth, bottom pre-molars, or my top right canine. Bad genes man. I had a molar pulled (as the cheapest option) and I sure miss that bastard.
    It's not too late to get that implant, if there's enough bone left.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    It's not too late to get that implant, if there's enough bone left.
    It's been about 6 years. I still can't afford the implant lol.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123