Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Root Canal. page 2

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Never pay for a root canal or a crown. They both will go bad within 20-30 years. Over time dentists will want to crown most of your teeth, and to include a lot of root canals. In general they earn money by convincing you to save, by these means, as many teeth as possible. But today there is another poven option that, done once, lasts your lifetime.

Have the wisdom teeth removed, you don't need them. Then have the molar removed and replace with an implant and it's fake tooth. That will cost about the same as a root canal and a crown and will never need to be redone. However this should not be put off. If there is no tooth there, other teeth will move toward the empty space and may become crooked. Also, with no root or implant there, your jawbone will began to receed (become narrower) in that area. Have it done now if you can possibly afford it. And if you can afford it, have the removal and implant insertion done by and oral surgeon rather than a regular dentist.

As for dental care:

1. Don't floss your teeth as flossing can put too much pressure on the gums and cannot get into gum pockets. Use a Waterpick. It has to be that brand because it has the correct pulse speed. Use it only on the 1 or 2 setting (never above that) which is very gentle but still very effective at removing all bits of food. This Waterpick is an electric device.
    2. Don't use an elelctric toothbrush, use a regular, soft toothbrush. Brush horizontally only, side to side, in very short strokes that do not brush the gums. Then when you rinse your teeth with water after brushing, brush up from the bottom (on the bottom teeth) and down from the top (on the top teeth).
    3. Gargle and swish with a good bacteria-killing mouthwash. Your dentist can prescribe one.
    4. Oil pull for 5 min. after brushing. Use Sesame or Coconut Oil.

This regime has been very beneficial for me over a period of more than 10 years (except for the oil pulling with is new for me).
    Combined wtih the PB diet my various dentists, surgeons and hygenists are amazed at how healthy and white my teeth are.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-05-2013 at 08:11 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

gamergod521 is offline Junior Member
    Yeah I forgot a few mentions in my dental care just listed some off the top of my head. Flossing definitely, though that has been part of my regiment for awhile and I'd even try miswak..oil pulling, lol anything that seems viable. Yeah the statement that root canals worked good for an individual is great however mentally I just am always aware of a foreign object in my mouth, plus the risk of error or revisiting down the line doesn't seem worth it where extraction is out and done and just healing. I'm not too greedy with the chompers, it's my fault for whatever teeth had to be taken, as well genetics play a factor, but mostly me. I'm also concerned with my amalgam fillings (2 of them) and things I consume that may..how to put this..increase mercury levels mobilizing into my body..say from eggs I've read or potentially other foods (I am not well versed on this topic just a concern/common sense).

Also for a waterpik I was thinking of this one, seems it would do the trick.

Amazon.com: Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser: Health & Personal Care

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Cryptocode is absolutely, positively right about an empty space and the rest of the teeth shifting into that space. And about thinning of the gums/bone. Before you make the decision to extract and NOT put an implant in there immediately, should you want to go that route, I very highly recommend asking an orthodontist for advice as per a consultation what an empty hole would cause in your mouth - orthos do do consultations. And most definitely have an oral surgeon do the implant work. I have both older crowns and a semi-recent implant. The implant did not replace a crown.

I have no issues with my crown work - still going strong, so I have no horror stories that would sway me away from them at present. But then, I have an awesome dentist and she only uses American materials/dependable dental labs - no China stuff, which she says is in the professional lit as being inferior.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gamergod521 View Post

That's the one my boyfriend just bought (on the advice of his dentist) and he loves it.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    They both will go bad within 20-30 years.
    If you are really lucky.

goinggrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Never pay for a root canal or a crown. They both will go bad within 20-30 years. Over time dentists will want to crown most of your teeth, and to include a lot of root canals. In general they earn money by convincing you to save, by these means, as many teeth as possible. But today there is another poven option that, done once, lasts your lifetime.

Have the wisdom teeth removed, you don't need them. Then have the molar removed and replace with an implant and it's fake tooth. That will cost about the same as a root canal and a crown and will never need to be redone. However this should not be put off. If there is no tooth there, other teeth will move toward the empty space and may become crooked. Also, with no root or implant there, your jawbone will began to receed (become narrower) in that area. Have it done now if you can possibly afford it. And if you can afford it, have the removal and implant insertion done by and oral surgeon rather than a regular dentist.

As for dental care:

1. Don't floss your teeth as flossing can put too much pressure on the gums and cannot get into gum pockets. Use a Waterpick. It has to be that brand because it has the correct pulse speed. Use it only on the 1 or 2 setting (never above that) which is very gentle but still very effective at removing all bits of food. This Waterpick is an electric device.
    2. Don't use an elelctric toothbrush, use a regular, soft toothbrush. Brush horizontally only, side to side, in very short strokes that do not brush the gums. Then when you rinse your teeth with water after brushing, brush up from the bottom (on the bottom teeth) and down from the top (on the top teeth).
    3. Gargle and swish with a good bacteria-killing mouthwash. Your dentist can prescribe one.
    4. Oil pull for 5 min. after brushing. Use Sesame or Coconut Oil.

This regime has been very beneficial for me over a period of more than 10 years (except for the oil pulling with is new for me).
    Combined wtih the PB diet my various dentists, surgeons and hygenists are amazed at how healthy and white my teeth are.
    I have opted out of having a root canal done, I have had a sister who has had nothing but problems with hers. They get infected and have to be redone or capped. I had my molar pulled, over 10 yrs ago and my teeth haven't moved up or gone crooked. This is what they tell you, but I don't believe it to be true. Tactic to scare you into not having it pulled.

Best of luck whichever road you choose.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    How do we know that implants will last more than 20-30 years? I don't think they have been doing them that long yet.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Thanks for keeping discussion going, it helps to get feedback to weigh decisions in a different light. I'm definitely having it removed, I just feel its the right thing to do and I shouldn't play around with a dead tooth in my mouth. I'll get an implant when I can right now I cannot. As for things going crooked ,shifting, well I'll have to take that if it does indeed happen until I can do something about it. I'm not too worried about that, it's just this tooth has caused so many problems this year (big hole in it = ripe for the bacterial taking) I really thought I was a goner due to getting extraordinarily sick and having the strangest symptoms in January and that's no way to start a new year, had no idea it was tooth related either , and neither did anyone else I saw. An orthodontist consultation btw couldn't hurt I appreciate that suggestion, its a smart move, second or..multiple opinions in general are pretty good to have. Also yeah the waterpik I found on amazon seems pretty good, I mean there are many models so its sort of pick and choose , reviews etc.. glad someone else (ritarose's boyfriend) in this case has it and loves it, I'll order that later today.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gamergod521 View Post

Yes, that's the one. And unlike flossing, you can (and should) waterpik around the gum line of each tooth (softly) as well as inbetween each two teeth.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast