Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it ok to up fat content while decreasing carbs or is there a ratio? page

joapple is offline Member

is it ok to up fat content while decreasing carbs or is there a ratio?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Dear all,

I figure that you've all been through this before so please could you clarify a nagging worry of mine. This week I have started my journey, and I have cut out all bread, pasta, rice, etc, and am limiting my oats intake to a much smaller amount not every day (cut with dried fruit, nuts and seeds, coconut oil and dried coconut). I rarely eat potatoes but do so occasionally, ditto for lentils. I eat two or three portions of fruit a day, and at least the same amount of veg. Without trying to use some kind of tracking app, because I hate those things, am I going to be low carb enough that it is safe for me to increase my fat levels so much? I don't particularly want to screw myself up!

All help appreciated, especially links to appropriate previous postings or articles, but please - no apps! I do not want to weigh or measure anything but myself, and that, infrequently

Forgot to mention - I'm a lactovegetarian (yes, I know - give me time!)

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joapple View Post
    am I going to be low carb enough that it is safe for me to increase my fat levels so much? I don't particularly want to screw myself up!
    That depends on the relative quantities. Removing 100 carb calories and adding 500 fat calories might not lead to the results you want. I use the "quality first" approach--best proteins, best carbs, best fats. For example, I consider potatoes and rice superior to oats and beans.

It's a divisive topic but frankly I think the best macronutrient ratio is the one that provides the most pleasure and removes preoccupation with food. For me this fluctuates with activity and whimsy but probably averages around 20P/20C/60F. That's roughly 100g carbohydrate which is about 1 dinner starch, 1-2 fruits, and lots of tomato/carrot/onion. I have not observed any bio-magic in the ratio itself.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Thank you. I'm still in the initial transition stage - am I correct in thinking that the munchies go away as my body adapts to less carbs and more fat?

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Thank you. I'm still in the initial transition stage - am I correct in thinking that the munchies go away as my body adapts to less carbs and more fat?
    IMO "munchies" are a symptom of malnourishment. I'm no role model but nowadays I eat 1 meal on weekdays and 2 meals on weekends just to save time and money. This works as long as I hit the important bases (eggs, liver, seafood, high-potassium vegetables, etc.) but I don't credit a carb/fat ratio specifically.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Dear all,

I figure that you've all been through this before so please could you clarify a nagging worry of mine. This week I have started my journey, and I have cut out all bread, pasta, rice, etc, and am limiting my oats intake to a much smaller amount not every day (cut with dried fruit, nuts and seeds, coconut oil and dried coconut). I rarely eat potatoes but do so occasionally, ditto for lentils. I eat two or three portions of fruit a day, and at least the same amount of veg. Without trying to use some kind of tracking app, because I hate those things, am I going to be low carb enough that it is safe for me to increase my fat levels so much? I don't particularly want to screw myself up!

All help appreciated, especially links to appropriate previous postings or articles, but please - no apps! I do not want to weigh or measure anything but myself, and that, infrequently
    Personally I'd cut out the oats and potatoes as well and then see how quickly your weight drops, if you start to lose over a couple of pounds a week then slowly add your oats and potatoes back in. I found it easier to start like this than to do as you are because you are then stuck thinking ' do I drop more carbs or more fat '.

Yes, I think that I may be malnourished as well - hopefully that will be rectified now that I'm changing my eating habits.

BUT: I measured my waist and hips this morning, thinking to get a baseline number to check progress. For the past three years I've had a 31.5 - 32 inch waist, and a 38 - 39 inch hips. This morning I am just shy of 30 at my waist, and 37 at my hips!!! I had to keep measuring until I could believe what I saw! I can't believe how inflamed my gut gut must have been for me to reduce so much so fast! I'm not assuming that it will continue to reduce like that, but wow!!! Talk about a confidence boost - now I feel much better about doing this

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    While I was in ketosis or doing lower carb (lower than 30g net) I was some days consuming 200g of fat and 2500 calories and looked near anorexic. Higher fat is mandatory when going VLC. Unfortunately my appetite was raging during ketosis and I was craving carbs like crazy. Upped carbs and lowered fat, appetite is gone and cravings have diminished!

Thanks - I think I may have gone very low carb inadvertently - I'm still learning! This evening I managed to moderate my appetite by the judicious application of some dark chocolate on the basis that if I'm having carbs they may as well be happy carbs

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5 View Post
    ... lower carb (lower than 30g net) ...
    What are you subtracting from total carbs to get a net figure?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast