Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D/rant page

Violette_R is offline Senior Member

Vitamin D/rant

Primal Fuel
    Heads up: this comment is totally random and relatively pointless.

I just think it's funny that there's a sort of blanket recommendation that people who live in northern climates take supplemental D during the winter when, in the northeastern U.S., I'm pretty sure we get LESS sun in the summer. Yeah, it's warmer, but it's raining or overcast pretty much all the goddamn time. Or least enough of the goddamn time to make me wish September would hurry up and get here so the sun will come out! (Today is a nice exception. I'd ask summer to stay like this but every time I do that summer says FU, rolls in the clouds and jacks up the humidity 20%)

I hate summer. I swear, I think I actually get seasonal affective disorder from the shitty summer weather in this climate. I'm happy as a clam September-April, but come May I start getting anxious about the coming summer and then I'm a whiny PITA from June-August. I spend the season reading books set in places like Sweden or the Shetland Islands and fantasize about moving there. I recently applied to a job in Wyoming just because Cheyenne's NOT SO GODDAMN WET ALL THE TIME.

Yeah, this started as a random questioning of blanket supplement recommendations and turned into a full-on rant about summer. Sorry. Hopefully that got it out of my system for a while.

Re: that job in Cheyenne, lest anyone think I'm flighty. It's not just the change in summer weather that appeals, but also the low population density and more affordable real estate.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Why not supplement vit D3 during the summer time? I know it's hard to tell exactly how much we need without having the level checked. It still won't hurt to take a good one in oil gel cap form. What do you know, it might improve your mood too.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I get a pretty good tan here in the Northeast just going for daily walks, so much so that I've gotten a parasol to protect my delicate skin.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Good luck on that new job. Big city life is not for everyone. Certainly not for me. Even Suburbia is way too crowded and chaotic.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Okay, it rains a bit, but...what? I'm not that much farther north than you and I would never say it is overcast and rainy "all the time" in the Summer. You'll get the occasional week of rain, but that doesn't seem like that much to me.

I have read that some people get a kind of reverse SAD, somehow. I get mine in the Winter. I do know that my Vitamin D levels have been very very low, so I supplement. I don't know how it works for folks that get it in warmer weather.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I take Vitamin D every day and have for two years. This post was more to poke fun at the recommendation. And to grumble.

LOL, eKatherine: I was trying to figure out what map you're using that puts Oregon in the Northeast. It took me a good minute to realize you probably live in Portland, MAINE. (I'm originally from the West Coast, in my defense.)

I grew up in the sticks and have since lived in pretty much every size of community. For my temperament/personality, big cities are completely the worst. My job is the only thing keeping me here - it's a good thing I really like it. Ideally, I'd move back to the sticks but I'm not independently wealthy and can't even find another job in my own field, much less one I'm not trained in. I thought long and hard about trying to transition into another type of work but realized that as much as I hate NYC, I'd rather stay in my current profession. Something will come up eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I have read that some people get a kind of reverse SAD, somehow.
    I've pretty much always had that, to some extent. It's particularly bad in this climate. Did you grow up in the northeast? I wonder if maybe it's easier for people who are used to it. I came here from the West in the middle of a summer, having never encountered simultaneous heat and moisture before. I know wet and I know hot, but the two together shocked the hell out of me and I've never adjusted to it. I've reached the point where I can take it so long as the sun is out, but warm, humid and overcast makes me so terribly unhappy.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I've lived in MA my entire life. It probably is an acclimatization thing in your case. If you're not used to humidity, it can be pretty discomforting. My fiancÚ was from the LA area. He hates it here and wants to move out West after he graduates, but we'll see. I wouldn't mind dry heat. I think it'd help my hands and feet from swelling in hot weather!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Violette_R View Post
    Heads up: this comment is totally random and relatively pointless.
    I hate summer. I swear, I think I actually get seasonal affective disorder from the shitty summer weather in this climate.
    I know entirely how you feel - you should try an English summer! Last year the weather literally depressed me. It was dire. It's making up for it this week though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast