Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about homemade mayo page 2

BratKat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You don't need a blender or food processor. I always make mine with a simple, cheapo handheld mixer from Walmart < $10

youtacolot is offline Member
    I always make mayo with a handheld whisk in a mixing bowl, mostly because cleanup is really easy.
    I never let the egg yolk come to room temperature. Your oil should be at room temperature in the first place.
    The key to emulsification is having enough water, whether that is through vinegar, lemon juice, or just adding water. I recommend reading Michael Ruhlman's "Ratio" for a great explanation of how to make mayo and why everything works the way it does. But basically the key is having enough water and starting slowly with the oil.

Also if your mayo "breaks" and turns into an oil soup, you can save it by getting out a fresh bowl, putting a little bit of water in it, and slowly whisking your oily soup into the water as if you were using it to make a new batch of mayo.

My favorite oil lately for mayo is macadamia nut oil. Surprisingly inexpensive on Amazon and soooo good.

Egg Carton Dates

FYI, the date on the egg carton doesn't necessarily indicate their freshness. It indicates the last date the eggs can be sold as the grade labelled on the carton, before being returned to the processing plant, re-graded, re-packaged, and re-shipped to your supermarket or corporate food processor at a lower grade, with a new "sell by" date. Yes, this is legal, and common practice according to the head of the Poultry Science department at a reputable agricultural university who gave a very enlightening lecture I attended a few months ago.

And that is why I raise my own eggs from my own little feathered critters instead of buying them

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by youtacolot View Post
    Also if your mayo "breaks" and turns into an oil soup, you can save it by getting out a fresh bowl, putting a little bit of water in it, and slowly whisking your oily soup into the water as if you were using it to make a new batch of mayo.
    I never heard this. I have removed a jar of congealed broken mayo from the fridge and will test it shortly.

vintageeats is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NewfMom View Post
    It is so easy and always perfect with a food processor that has the attachment for oil dispensing (it is also used for pushing food down the chute but also has a tiny hole for dispensing oil). The attachment fits into the chute - just pour the oil in, and it streams through the hole while the processor is running.

For small batches, this one works great - fast to make and easy cleanup - Amazon.com: Cuisinart DFP-3 Handy Prep 3-Cup Food Processor: Kitchen & Dining

Unless I am out of mayo and in a hurry, I prefer to do large batches with my 11 cup food processor, so do not have to go through the process for a few months, and it is always in the fridge. But, it does require whey for it to keep more than a few weeks. So easy though - to make whey, place high quality plain yogurt in a strainer lined with cheese cloth placed over a bowl. Cover with a plate and leave out at room temperature for 12 to 24 hours while the whey runs out into the bowl. Store the whey in the frig (keeps for several months). The yogurt is now greek yogurt - pour back into the container - yogurt will keep for at least a few weeks.

For one batch of mayo, use...
    1 whole egg, at room temperature
    1 egg yolk at room temperature
    1 teaspoon dijon-type mustard
    1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (original recipe is lemon juice, but I prefer ACV)
    1 tablespoon whey (optional)
    3/4 - 1 cup oil (I use a combination of high quality olive oil and MCT oil)
    generous pinch of sea salt or to taste.

Without whey, keeps about 2 weeks. With whey, keeps for several months. If using whey, let the mayo sit at room temperature, covered (I pour into several glass canning jars), for 7 hours before refrigerating.

This info is in the book, Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.

Ohh, this is helpful! The book is on my shelf Thank you.

mvheartscw is offline Junior Member

I tried this not expecting it to work, but it did. Thank you very much. I also will be using a room tekp egg because I have been using a cold egg and I think that was the problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12