Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you stretch $75 on food over a month? page

miniGrokette is offline Member

How would you stretch $75 on food over a month?

Just found out that my scholarship money isn't coming in until the first week of July! Oh no! While I'm looking for a part-time job for after classes, I need to get thrifty and budget myself. Any suggestions? I have a source of free pastured eggs (woohoo!) and a willingness to break down and eat leftovers (ick). I want to stay as primal as possible during this time.. any ideas on how you would spend your $75?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    For one, you should stop cooking food that doesn't make good leftovers. I never cook anything that isn't as good the second time as fresh.

miniGrokette is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    For one, you should stop cooking food that doesn't make good leftovers. I never cook anything that isn't as good the second time as fresh.
    It can be difficult to cook for one without wasting food, but I try. Leftovers in general are off putting to me, especially if the food needs to be heated. But, like I said, totally willing to suck it up for a few weeks!

canio6 Guest
    eggs (yay for a source)
    canned fish
    potatoes/rice
    cheap cuts of meat in the crock pot
    whatever meat is on sale (for variety)
    vegetables - look for what is on sale.

MsMama7077 is offline Junior Member
    Big pots of soup super cheap and huge quantity

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    If the free eggs are unlimited, you could just eat those and buy things to go along side or inside scrambled eggs - spinach, onions, parmesan cheese (which seems expensive but is really kind of thrifty when your think how little you use in/on a dish), tomatoes. Protein powder. Check out the local food bank if there's one near you. It won't be all primal for sure, but you might get some plain yogurt, canned tuna, seasonal veggies, etc., and you could gift the bread, etc., to a friend. Emergency food stamps.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Bag of potatoes, and onions. Ask if you can get low cost or maybe free bones for stock. Maybe tell them its for your dog. Soups go along way and don't seem like leftovers either.

Pax
    Pax is offline Junior Member
    When I'm broke, my go-to meal is some type of soup/stew because you can make a large quantity for cheap, though you would have to be willing to eat it as leftovers!

In general though, look at frozen veggies. They are a lot cheaper than fresh and they do retain quite a lot of the nutrients when they're frozen. They certainly aren't as pleasant to eat as the fresh ones are but beggars can't always be choosers!

Katblack is offline Senior Member
    Try finding a friend or someone who grows tubers at their home garden If you don't care too much about organic and all that, go to a really cheap meat place in the neighborhood and only buy meats that are in sale freeze them and eat when needed. Of course frozen might be cheaper, but that isn't always true. Your carb intake will certainly have to go up, while your protein intake might suffer a bit. Fill up on a lot of filling foods, skip foods that don't keep you satiated longer ( whatever that is for you). Also, this might be the best tip yet, don't be afraid to eat other people's food that is primal friendly if they happen to offer it ;p
    You don't have to be sick to get well

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    And maybe eat one meal a day only. That's a budget savior

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast