Thread: Leg Imbalance page

Trubic is offline Junior Member

Post Leg Imbalance

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

First-time poster here. I've been dieting Paleo for quite some time, and after an injury, have dedicated myself to getting more physical activity in - at least as much as I can.

When I was 9, I was hit by a drunk driver and it crushed a section of my femur. While in traction, the bone grew longer because of calcium deposits and it actually almost an inch longer than my other leg.

I've always gone barefoot. (Notoriously, sometimes.) And I've been an early adopter of Vibrams and have worn them for years.

But as I get older, I'm starting to have some very acute back problems due to my leg imbalance. Long walks often pop my back and hips out of whack, and causes many issues with my sciatic nerve that takes weeks to recover from.

My question to you all is, what's the answer for someone like me? Orthotics? A lift? I've seen doctors who have recommended one or the other. One actually advocated surgery. (Out of the question.)

Is there anyone out there with the same troubles? How did you get over it?

Thanks very much!

Nekron is offline Senior Member
    Get shoe inserts for a second pair of shoes, wear those whenever you have to stand around or plan longer walks and go for short barefoot walks.
    Also never lift heavy with leg length difference. Put something stable of the same heigth as the shoe inserts would be.
    Last edited by Nekron; 06-05-2013 at 10:34 AM.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I would go see a chiropractor; one of my legs is about 7mm longer than the other (and interestingly, my foot on the shorter leg is also smaller by about the same length). The chiropractor helps in that I have gotten a better range of motion in my hips, allowing me to function with the different sizes. Chiropractor also says that most people have varying lengths of legs, whether from bones, or from muscular structure (we have dominant legs, just like hands, which are usually slightly bigger in regards to muscular structure). I was also given orthodics last year, my chiropractor prescibed them. He had a machine that I stood on and took readings of my pressure points. I don't use them anymore, but they helped tremendously in the beginning. Walking was so easy, I never got tired out like I did before.

Your situation could be different, and obviously your difference in length is greater than mine. But a chiropractor might be able to help you, or at least direct you to someone that can. I think orthodics would help you.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    I would go see a chiropractor; one of my legs is about 7mm longer than the other (and interestingly, my foot on the shorter leg is also smaller by about the same length). The chiropractor helps in that I have gotten a better range of motion in my hips, allowing me to function with the different sizes. Chiropractor also says that most people have varying lengths of legs, whether from bones, or from muscular structure (we have dominant legs, just like hands, which are usually slightly bigger in regards to muscular structure). I was also given orthodics last year, my chiropractor prescibed them. He had a machine that I stood on and took readings of my pressure points. I don't use them anymore, but they helped tremendously in the beginning. Walking was so easy, I never got tired out like I did before.

Your situation could be different, and obviously your difference in length is greater than mine. But a chiropractor might be able to help you, or at least direct you to someone that can. I think orthodics would help you.
    +1